Little help plz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, I'll bite.
What led setup would I need to cover a 4x2ft area? Is growth rate comparable to hps? Don't want something that takes 4 weeks to grow 6 inch lol.

Had a quick scan on eBay and Mars units aren't that expensive for 300w versions. Not a clue on led. Educate me. I need something that could root and veg 20 cuttings up to maybe 6 inch above coco level.

Thanks
NB

ok so it would seem bigger is not always better with led's. Apparantly (google) 5w are better for canopy penetration (which I don't need to worry about much for young plants) and they run hotter than 3w led's and are also spaced out more because of internal heat issues.

3w led's run cooler and offer a better spread of light it seems so I'm guessing two 300w 3w led lights would serve me better? Possibly purchase one to keep mothers under too perhaps. I'm interested but go back 6 or so years when I was last growing and led lights where laughed at so I'm an old sceptic but I'm always open to progression. Especially if by some miracle these led jobs might actually be better.

NB

I have 2 mars reflector panels (96x3watt each) in my 2x4 tent, you could possibly get away with less if just using for veg tho. Wait for the guru's to come speak ;)

I do know that multiple lower wattage panels give you much better coverage than one high wattage panel.

I really would not run HPS for vegging.

Words from our LED guru: "Good LEDs are not cheap and cheap LEDs are not good." I am on my first run with them in my flowering space. I do not have enough headroom to use them in my vegging space. You need about 18-24" between the lights and the top of the canopy.

I am still going to recommend T5s. They put out about the same or more lumens per sq ft as MH and they spread the light better and run substantially cooler. I have 2 400W MH that I do not even use anymore since I discovered T5s. I am currently running a 2' 12 tube fixture that runs at 300W and puts out 30,000 lumens. However, I used to use a 4' 4 tube fixture in a 4 x 2 space with excellent results. I think that you will find that most of the people here who have used both MH and T5s prefer T5s for vegging.

I really would not run HPS for vegging.

Words from our LED guru: "Good LEDs are not cheap and cheap LEDs are not good." I am on my first run with them in my flowering space. I do not have enough headroom to use them in my vegging space. You need about 18-24" between the lights and the top of the canopy.

I am still going to recommend T5s. They put out about the same or more lumens per sq ft as MH and they spread the light better and run substantially cooler. I have 2 400W MH that I do not even use anymore since I discovered T5s. I am currently running a 2' 12 tube fixture that runs at 300W and puts out 30,000 lumens. However, I used to use a 4' 4 tube fixture in a 4 x 2 space with excellent results. I think that you will find that most of the people here who have used both MH and T5s prefer T5s for vegging.
Hi, thanks for coming back. The last link I posted was for MH lights not hps, or it should of been anyway.

Anyway regarding the t5 and specifically a 4ft 4 tube one so do you really think 16000 lumens or whatever it was is enough? Not trying to argue because you have the experience, just surprised.
If you tell me it'll work well then I'll run with it :) not convinced by led and 3 MH in that small of room would be a ***** temperature wise.

Thanks
NB

Yes, the 6 tube one will be great. It wil give you 30,000 lumens in that space. Many people do run only a 4 tube fixture in 8 sq ft and do okay with it, but of course, if heat can be handled, more light is usually better.

Latest posts

Back