My first grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Buzzkill!
You've come to the right place to learn. There's a lot of seriously good growers here always happy to help.
Its kind of addicting
(Growing) and its a lot of work at times, but it is a labor of love.

what is the best way to keep my soil ph under control? im using black magic coco. i got time quick acting lime to try to boost the ph, my 3 in 1 meter says its around 3-4, and my run off is a little high at 6.7, so should i adjust my water ph so that my run off is at 6? i think i need a better soil meter

what kind of nutes are you using? if you are going organic, you should not really have to adjust ph. i think the soil beasties keep things in the proper range. i went with chemical nutes for a couple of grows and had nothing but issues. the issues were ph driven because i was not used to using non-organic nutes and did not check ph. since i switched back, my plants are very happy and i am happy not worrying about ph.

as far as tips go, do a lot of reading and when you have specific questions, there are a lot of folks on here that are ready, willing and able to help. general tips will not help if you don't tell us everything you are doing and what your environment is. pics are always nice too. some growers here will spot things you wont(bugs, deficiencies, nute toxicity, over/under watering, etc) even then, it is difficult to help if nobody knows what help you need.

i just popped 2 seeds, they dont need to be transplanted yet. the temps in my tent range between 70-80, and around 35-40% humidity ill post pictures later, i also have a co2 bag to put in when they get a little bigger

Last edited:

those are the nutes i had a hard time with. i think people who have used them with good results would be much better to provide you with feedback. i did not like them but i know a lot of people grow really awesome, huge buds with it. when i started using them though, i am pretty sure i saw somewhere that you are supposed to ph the solution after mixing in the nutes. i don't recall seeing anywhere that the runoff should be any certain ph value. as rose said, organic soil(and nutes) don't need to check ph.

btw-i use general organics gobox line.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PS4B08/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

more bottles but it is easier when you don't need to concern yourself with ph'ing and calibrating/maintaining you ph meter.

and you should get the humidity up above 50%. my understanding is that the stomatas close up in low humidity so the plant does not get too dry. that makes the plant transpire less and grow more slowly. i had to veg my plants a lot longer than usual due to low humidity. my veg growth was very slow.

and you should get the humidity up above 50%. my understanding is that the stomatas close up in low humidity so the plant does not get too dry. that makes the plant transpire less and grow more slowly. i had to veg my plants a lot longer than usual due to low humidity. my veg growth was very slow.

Agree'd, I used to ignore humidity and it was always around 25-40%. I didnt think it made much of a difference but I kept having minor deficiencies pop up that I couldn't figure out why I was getting them. They never got out of control or wrecked a harvest, they would just come and go through out the grow. After about 4 grows I got a humidifier and those little issues just dissipated.

20190115_163649.jpg

20190115_164814.jpg
20190115_164833.jpg

the humidity was at 36% which ill keep above 50% from now on. im going to order those organics tonight also, what soil would work best for a newbie?

Buzz Welcome to MP -- Cuz I saw something up there about Cal/Mag -- Only time U should be adding Cal/Mag is if U using RO or distilled water -- U should get with Rose or someone else for advice on dirt farming -- A good compost soil with with good drainage and U may not even have to feed for a long time -- Watch that those pucks don't dry out -- U got a dome or something to cover them ?
Good luck to U !

Not sure what would be best but I use Roots Organics Green Lite. A guy at the grow store suggested it when I first started growing and it works for me. Good drainage. I use 3 gallon felt pots and the nutes I suggested. I have had some decent grows of very good weed. I got away from that my last couple of grows and had problems. Changed too many things at once. I was growing nice dense buds under t5 lights. Tinkered too much and screwed up about a year of grows. My current grow(you can see it in the link in my signature) is in a 2x4x4 tent with a 4 bulb t5 fixture(1 2700k bulb, 2 10000k bulbs and 1 10000k bulb with uv a) and a king 1200 led light. 2 plants - Blimburn green crack clone and a clone of a multi strain cross. I just flipped to 12/12 lighting a couple days ago. The green crack flowers quickly and is showing some pistils. I have added EM1 and Ancient Earth humic and fulvic acid to my regimen but other than that, I use those organic nutes(May not meet all organic rules). My plants are happy. Good luck.

The stomato stay open in low humidity if the temps are right, check out a VPD chart for more info

i ordered the general organics, im going to get some fax farm soil at a local store. thanks for all the help guys, ill keep you updated
hey mate, in flowering stage right now on my 2nd coco grow, coco is better if you ask me mate all you need to do is Ph your water(after u add nutes) to 5.8 -6.0 5.8 is the magic number for coco coir.ph is always going to rise in the runoff because your girls are pulling synthetic nutes from the water which naturally lower the ph. mine goes in 5.8 comes out 6.1-6.4 never had issues, coco is something where if you do something wrong /come across an issue you can basically fix it over night with a flush and reset + is virtually impossible to over water which is a very common mistake with new growers. If you need ANY info on coco growing even a bit of tips now you've made the organic switch just ask :)

Latest posts

Back