My next "experiment"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figurehead

Reaction score
OK, I have learned alot in the week that I have been here, so I figured I would outline my next bag seed experiment here and just see what you all think.

What I am going to do is germinate a few Crystal bag seeds in water for a 2 day soak. Then I am going to plant them in a 2 oz dixie cup and keep the flourescent light as close to them as possible. When they sprout tall enough I am going to replant them in 6 os party cups, keeping the light close to the tops again. Then when they are even bigger I am going to replant them into 12 oz party cups and move them into a 2'x2'x4' box lined dull side out with foil and 2 small fans one for bringing in air flow, one for exiting air flow. The light will be suspended by string so I can raise it as needed. When they are bigger I am going to replant them into their final pot, probably a 12 incher and possibly add CO2 pellets and mirical grow.

Again, I am just experimenting with bag seeds here and trying as much as possible to keep the cost very low.

What do you think the chances of this doing anything productive are?

some people have good luck with miracle grow soil , and yet , others don't. miracle grow has time release nutes in it, and sure to give you problems along the way. if your a new grower, i'd suggest you go to your local walmart, home depot , or local greenhouse, and purchase some soil w/o nutes in it already. everything else sounds good. good luck... and , why not just start them in some 16oz plastic dixie <keg>, cups to begin with.?? that way you'll be handling them less...

yeah this is very possible .. r u planning on flowering with clfs i would if u want to keep costs low and if it is an experiment .. you can do this and do it with great results as long as u keep them in a optimum conditions... i use cfls and i usually average about 1 oz per plant ... good luck and happy growing..

The reason I want to start them in smaller cups is to try to elstablish a tighter root ball. The 3 plants I have going right now all stretched really high up relly fast and i figure if I start them in smaller cups it's less likely to happen, and if it does when i replant them it will be easier to cover up the sprouts with dirt. The problem I ran into with the 3 I got right now is they are still stretching and adding more soil is a pain because I put them in 14 inch pots already, so adding more soil takes a TON of soil. LOL! Like I said, the first experiment was really, really sloppy.

Thanks for the input e1.

Figurehead said:
The reason I want to start them in smaller cups is to try to elstablish a tighter root ball. The 3 plants I have going right now all stretched really high up relly fast and i figure if I start them in smaller cups it's less likely to happen, and if it does when i replant them it will be easier to cover up the sprouts with dirt. The problem I ran into with the 3 I got right now is they are still stretching and adding more soil is a pain because I put them in 14 inch pots already, so adding more soil takes a TON of soil. LOL! Like I said, the first experiment was really, really sloppy.

Thanks for the input e1.

Keeping your plants in smaller containers will do nothing to stop stretch. Stretch has to do with the intensity of your lights and how far away they are and nothing at all to do with a tighter root ball. Every time you transplant your plants, you are stressing them.

And you do not want a compressed root ball. You want to give the plant's roots as much room as they need.

Let M stretch my friend..the roots that is..

Latest posts

Back