Mystery Grow 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegs

Reaction score
**Updated** Since I clearly did not receive the Lowryder 2 beans as I ordered I am titling this grow the Mystery Grow.

Here goes my second grow journal. Thanks to all that participating in the first which is coming to a close end. This grow will be a short one and my main intention is to germ as many healthy plants as possible to find the best male to pollinate the rest for viable seed. Similar to my first, from this experience I hope to learn new tricks from others in the community and enhance my skills as well as meet others and share my experiences.

Strain:
  • Unknown (was supposed to be Lowryder 2)
  • Pedigree: Unknown
  • Type: Unknown
  • Flowering: Unknown
  • Harvest: Unknown
  • Plant Height: Unknown
  • Stoned or High? Unknown
Setup:
  • 10 Tray Ebb n Flow system
  • 400w HPS (Full Spectrum Bulb)
  • 25w T5 Fluorescent fixture
  • 265 CFM Blower known as 'squirrel cage' fans with Y-split
  • Small Clip-on Fan
  • Carbon Can Filter
Nutrients & Liquids:
  • 3 Part Mix General Hydroponics
  • Kool Bloom
  • Distilled Water
**Updated** I thought I had 10 LR2 beans soaking in distilled water in a cool dark place as shown below. However, I was shipped something other then LR2 seeds so this should be fun to see what kind of pheno's pop and if anyone can figure out what I have growing here.

I was going to use a 18/6 for veg 4 weeks and then to 16 for the rest of the 5-6 weeks with the LR2 beans. So whatever variety this is it has had the benifit of 18/6 for veg for 30+ days and has been topped.

LR2b.JPG

These little guys are starting to show signs of cracking. I'll leave then in the water for another 24-48 hours to ensure each is popped open.

So far I have three little sprouts and a few more that may break the surface soon. There is no doubt this is a dwarf variety because even the sprouts are tiny. Do I dare say cute? Interesting stuff indeed. =)

Here we are at day 2.

So far I have three healthy sprouts and two that are questionable.

The one pic (middle picture) of the tiny sprout still in it's shell I had to gently pull out it's top (the splitting seed) from out of the starter plug because it somehow got stuck and would not come out on its own and probably would have died and rotted. After delicately splitting the seed a little more to help the sprout (didn't want to remove complete for fear of damaging the young tender leaves inside) it is now showing signs of standing on it's own.

The pic (first one on the left) of the other feller, well that little sprout I am not to sure about. He could just die anytime soon or eventually split open to reveal the younger tender shoots inside.

I am thinking about adding a little nutes to my plain water to help these guys on their 9 week journey.

Anyone care to mention if the LR2 variety is nutrient sensitive?

d2_2_4.25.JPG

d2_3.1_4.25.JPG

d2_4.25.JPG

Thanks for the info Hippy. Manel's LR2 grow journals are awesome!

Here we are at day 9. I have 5 total plants.

The mutant seedling finally opened up and could be my dwarf 5 inch plant or just a slow starter. Another plant had to be tied up because it couldn't hold itself up. I will move some pellets from another container over to each plant to help keep down mold from the tops of the rockwool plugs as well as help to support each seedling.

I'm using a light seedling nute schedule of the three part mix GH flora series.

5.02_1LR2.JPG

5.02_2LR2.JPG

5.02_3LR2.JPG

I have to agree with Manel when he said his seedlings had rather large taproots. When I was moving around some of the containers I noticed that each seedling had one or two really long taproots coming out the bottom of the container. I normally don't see roots this long till a week or two into a flowering period.

Here we are at day 12.

The little tykes are looking good. The containers with plants have been topped off with extra pellets from empty neighboring pots to make sure the tops of the rockwool plugs do not root or mold up.

I topped the two larger plants show as the one closest to you and the larger one to the right, both in the group pic. The other pic is one of the smallest seedling...the very same one that was stubborn and would not open it's first set of leaves.

Also the plant we tied up previously is now standing on its own and is starting to look stout and sturdy.

05.05_1LR2.JPG

05.05LR2.JPG

hay man,
nice work there comming on well,
looks like you have the hang of eb n flow!

Thanks man!

I still need to get my mind wrapped about PPM's and the gear to test with. Also I want to play with cloning & DWC techniques sometime soon.

Nice set up, I like the auto flowering aspect of lowryders and I was gonna try them out for myself, but I went Bubblicious instead. Where did you get those beans from?

Thanks guys! I got these LR2 beans from the xxxx-seeds.nl site. =) If successful with these maybe I'll look at the Lemon or other fruity flavored lowryder autos.

Here we are at day 18.

All five plants are looking well other then the larger fan leave twisting which I am not sure is nute/heat stress or maybe just growing pains. =) Some look a little odd because I topped a few as well as trimmed some larger fan leaves to allow light to the side branches. Because of the 90 degree mounted light the larger fan leaves sometimes get in the way of side branch growth in the earlier stages. Once the side branches fight for there space I then tend to tuck larger leaves under up and coming shoots versus clipping them off.

d18LR2.JPG

looks like there coming on well man,
so have you been pinching them at all?
i wouldnt clip or trim any leaves that arent brown and crispy or mouldy,
unless you want to trim the bottoms of all your plants to allow for better airflow,usualy done when the plants are a bit bigger though!

Thanks guys!

Yes sir, I topped all except the very stout looking one toward the back to the left (second from back on the left). That one and the rather larger one to the right of it have not been topped. However, the larger one to the right has had fan leaves removed to help the growth of all those lower branches you see in the pic. I hope that one especially turns out to be a female due to how bushy it may become.

I totally hear ya about not cutting those lovely sugar producing vessels but with my setup and hieght restrictions, the topping and occasional LST I have found no issues with clipping off a few fan leaves in the earlier stages. I understand that every cut could possibly bring on disease and mold; however, I have yet to run into those problems with my dry environment and hydro setup. Not yet... (finds some wood to knock on)

I'm following this one for sure. I was under the impression topping lowryders didn't really help with anything in fact set the plant back a little, but I guess we will see.

Latest posts

Back