Ned help with appetite & weight gain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker1

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I was on the forum, but I have not forgotten everyone. I didn't know where to post this question so hopefully it will get answered here.

I love weed, but I have a major problem. As many of us know when you smoke weed you get the munchies big-time. I have been struggling with my weight for several years and I love food.

My doctor gives me phentermine to decrease my appetite overall. I know this is not a healthy way to regulate weight, but it's the only way I have found so far to curb my appetite overall.

Getting stoned makes me extra hungry and I can easily gain five or 6 pounds at a time from the munchies. I am in need of some good advice that can help me not eat when I'm smoking.

Can someone who may have the same problem please tell me how any solution that has worked for you. Having an agitated appetite is the only negative thing I experience from smoking, but I cannot afford to have my weight increase for several reasons.

All feedback is welcomed from everyone. Thanks for your help everyone.:eek:

Man, that sucks. Drink a lot of water, and exercise regularly. I don't struggle with my weight even though I never exercise, I guess I'm lucky. I found that pot can work both ways increasing and suppressing appetite. I went through a period of eating healthy and when I smoked I never really had the munchies, if I did the craving went away after 10 or so minutes. It is really a mind over matter kind of a thing...

you could eat and get really full before you get high. and like gagjababy said drink lots of water, and exercise regularly. oh and dude fruit tastes bomb when you are high, and it's good for you. i always make a healthy grub sandwich, with 100% whole GRAIN (keyword grain here) bread, mustard (no mayo) sliced lean turkey, sprouts, avacado, tomato, and cut that baby in half. oh and i might have some kettle chips but buy the small bag so you dont eat the whole thing just cuz its there. (i get kettle chips because they are baked in canola oil which is healthier for you, and it's got healthy fats in it (which come from the canola oil) and less saturated fats (bad fats)).

that's another thing, keeping bad food in your house is asking to fail. if you don't have bad food at your fingertips it makes it harder for you to get it which in turn will make you eat less. you're not gonna go out to the store EVERY TIME, ya know?

but consistancy will do it, exercise, eat better, and drink lots of water and you'll lose weight.

Fish is a great way to eat a lot and gain little... Its high in protein and Omega 3 so its good for you, and its also very filling.

I had a friend who lost a lot of weight by chewing gum instead of having a snack... he also said that a drink of crushed ice made him lose the desire to eat a snack... I think it has something to do with the effects of chewing to numb the receptors of hunger... Google it?

Sorry I dont have more advice... I wish I could help you mang!

I can easily gain five or 6 pounds at a time from the munchies.
Eat less, more often. Stop drinking sodas and replace it with water like a few suggested. Eat vegetables and lean, white meats like fish and chicken breast. No pork or beef. No candy. No ice cream or mayo, just fat in a container. Try to eat very small portions of bread and pasta. Walk or run for 30 minutes twice a day or do something that will raise your heart rate for 30 minutes, twice a day. This will help heighten your metabolism. I hope you get to feeling better and I hope this helps.

bombbudpuffa said:
Eat less, more often. Stop drinking sodas and replace it with water like a few suggested. Eat vegetables and lean, white meats like fish and chicken breast. No pork or beef. No candy. No ice cream or mayo, just fat in a container. Try to eat very small portions of bread and pasta. Walk or run for 30 minutes twice a day or do something that will raise your heart rate for 30 minutes, twice a day. This will help heighten your metabolism. I hope you get to feeling better and I hope this helps.

Thanks for your good suggestions. I do walk a brisk mile every day as I'm a Diabetic. I also swim & do 50 situps daily. My problem stems from loving food, period. Some people live to eat and some eat to live.

I don't know why in the last couple of years I get the extreme munchies. The smoke 'aint that good. By taking the diet pills they kill my appetite and I get the weight back off.

I am hoping there is something healthy besides food that would help lessen the food cravings. I really don't like diet pills as they won't let me sleep and they're bad for my liver.

Smoke greatly helps me with sleep and pain as I have 2 bad legs that hurt alot. It also takes stress off of me and I laugh alot more.

If only this edit language up country would legalize weed for personal use it would solve many problems. The US has about 2 million people locked up for simple possession of weed. That is absurd. Non violent people locked up for nothing basically. It's a shame.

Has anyone tried anything from a health store that is natural and good to keep appetite in check?

Thank you all for your kind suggestions.:)

Has anyone tried anything from a health store that is natural and good to keep appetite in check?
Imo, it's all crap. Good eating habits and regular exercise is the best way to combat weight gain. If your older it could take a while because your metabolism will naturally slow down but your body will adjust and you'll find you don't even want the junk food anymore, won't crave it. I wish there was a simple alternative I could suggest.

eat healthy things, filling things. anything with alot fiber should work (be carefull on the fiber if ur not use to it:):)). also eat slow. it takes ur hormones about 20mins to kick in to tell you that your full.

The most quality answer you could get is instead of trying to stop eating period on herb, you could start eating healthy things. Despite that old myth, there ARE things to eat that are healthy for you and taste good. *Gasp*
If you start eating healthy on herb, it could become habit forming and even in your sober state you would start eating healthy, it's win win!
Good luck, man.
(P.s- Whoever suggested fruit was SO right! Strawberry's and Kiwi's in particular are my favorite stony health muncher! A fruit salad would be a good choice as well. The herb multiplys the already good taste about 20 times, haha. )

jeffca said:
you could eat and get really full before you get high. and like gagjababy said drink lots of water, and exercise regularly. oh and dude fruit tastes bomb when you are high, and it's good for you. i always make a healthy grub sandwich, with 100% whole GRAIN (keyword grain here) bread, mustard (no mayo) sliced lean turkey, sprouts, avacado, tomato, and cut that baby in half. oh and i might have some kettle chips but buy the small bag so you dont eat the whole thing just cuz its there. (i get kettle chips because they are baked in canola oil which is healthier for you, and it's got healthy fats in it (which come from the canola oil) and less saturated fats (bad fats)).

that's another thing, keeping bad food in your house is asking to fail. if you don't have bad food at your fingertips it makes it harder for you to get it which in turn will make you eat less. you're not gonna go out to the store EVERY TIME, ya know?

but consistancy will do it, exercise, eat better, and drink lots of water and you'll lose weight.

Yes, you're quite right. I am pretty good about eating vegetables and various grain breads. I also try not to bring food into the house that is bad for me but sometimes I have to have something good.

I'm not trying to lose any more weight. I got down to 182 pounds and felt sick most of the time. It seems the ideal weight for me is about 188-190 pounds. I am guilty of not drinking enough water so I'll work on that one. Thanks for your help.:p

bombbudpuffa said:
Imo, it's all crap. Good eating habits and regular exercise is the best way to combat weight gain. If your older it could take a while because your metabolism will naturally slow down but your body will adjust and you'll find you don't even want the junk food anymore, won't crave it. I wish there was a simple alternative I could suggest.

Actually, I used to weigh 280 pounds after I quit smoking cigarettes. I gained almost 100 pounds from quitting cigarettes after one year. That was in 1985.

After being diagnosed a diabetic type 2 in 2003 I knew I had to lose weight so I began walking a least 1 mile daily. I have been taking phentermine since then, but not every day. I also do situps nightly and some swimming.

You are right about age and metabolism for sure. I read somewhere that every 10 years the average person gains about 10 pounds. I am trying to maintain between 188-190 pounds as it seems to agree with my system. Catch you later.:)

LowRider said:
eat healthy things, filling things. anything with alot fiber should work (be carefull on the fiber if ur not use to it:):)). also eat slow. it takes ur hormones about 20mins to kick in to tell you that your full.

I think the key here is eating foods hat will fill me up, but aren't too high in carbs or sugar.What kind of foods do you eat that are high in fiber?Thanks for the advice.:)

Hiero_ said:
The most quality answer you could get is instead of trying to stop eating period on herb, you could start eating healthy things. Despite that old myth, there ARE things to eat that are healthy for you and taste good. *Gasp*
If you start eating healthy on herb, it could become habit forming and even in your sober state you would start eating healthy, it's win win!
Good luck, man.
(P.s- Whoever suggested fruit was SO right! Strawberry's and Kiwi's in particular are my favorite stony health muncher! A fruit salad would be a good choice as well. The herb multiplys the already good taste about 20 times, haha. )

What kind of healthy things do you like? I love fruit, but unfortunately as a diabetic I have to watch my sugar level and fruit has lots of natural sugar. I do eat strawberries, cantalope, bananas, and sometimes cherrries.

It's not that I want to eat when smoking. I just get this thought about eating and if I start I don't stop. I weigh myself three times a day to try to keep a handle on things.

Also, as a diabetic it's much better to eat five smaller meals a day versus three larger ones. It has been proven that larger meals will add weight as you're eating more carbs and sugar.

Many people think fat is the big culprit, but it's really carbs and sugar. I read the labels on just about everything I buy to look at how many carbs, sugars, and trans fat are in the product.

Many times a product that advertises itself as having less fat still has about the same amount of carbs and sugar's. I try to buy foods bad are either low-fat, no sugar,no sugar added, and lite.

Thanks for your help and have a nice day.:)

I feel your pain. I have a diabetic family member and I know how hard it is for him to keep his weight in check. All the people who have already responded have given you great sound advice. Since you are diabetic and need to control your glucose levels, protein is really important. Protein will also keep you feeling satified for longer periods of time.

Quick snacks could be almonds, lowfat cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, the eggs that are cage free with healthy omega fats. Celery filled with low sugar or natural peanut butter, great to munch on while high. Whey protein powder blended with a cup of water,lemom juice and a bit of berries, is excellent, massive amounts of protein for the calorie count. Wrap a big lettuce leaf around your favorite lowfat lean sandwich fillings. A couple of my favorites are tomato, turkey bacon and cheese or chinese chicken salad. Low fat, low sugar yogurt is also good to have on hand.

I do make a few diabetic approved desserts for the family gatherings. They are much appreciated as then he doesn't fall for the ones that will spike his blood sugars out of control. If you are interested I'll pm you the recipes ....if you bake, actually one is a no bake. He always has frozen grapes and sugar free popsicles in his freezer, I had a pineapple one last week, amazing! No added sugar fudgesicles for the chocolate cravings...

My I need to lose a few pounds tricks are when I am feel like eating a mindless snack, I go brush my teeth...Crazy, I know but for me it takes the urge away to eat for awhile. A quick brisk walk also takes my mind off of food...till I pass the bakery, the custard shop, the pizza place and everything in between. I need a new route! There is a Italian ice shop about a mile away, sometimes when I'm feeling sluggish I'll walk there and get a lemon ice as a treat to get me back home and for walking the couple of miles. Do you have any shops, yogurt, ices or the such is your area to help lengthen your walk?

Thanks for reaching out and asking for help, that is a great first step to the road of success. I wish you the best of luck in dropping the extra pounds. We want you to be around for a very long time!

LuLu

LuLu said:
I feel your pain. I have a diabetic family member and I know how hard it is for him to keep his weight in check. All the people who have already responded have given you great sound advice. Since you are diabetic and need to control your glucose levels, protein is really important. Protein will also keep you feeling satified for longer periods of time.

Quick snacks could be almonds, lowfat cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, the eggs that are cage free with healthy omega fats. Celery filled with low sugar or natural peanut butter, great to munch on while high. Whey protein powder blended with a cup of water,lemom juice and a bit of berries, is excellent, massive amounts of protein for the calorie count. Wrap a big lettuce leaf around your favorite lowfat lean sandwich fillings. A couple of my favorites are tomato, turkey bacon and cheese or chinese chicken salad. Low fat, low sugar yogurt is also good to have on hand.

I do make a few diabetic approved desserts for the family gatherings. They are much appreciated as then he doesn't fall for the ones that will spike his blood sugars out of control. If you are interested I'll pm you the recipes ....if you bake, actually one is a no bake. He always has frozen grapes and sugar free popsicles in his freezer, I had a pineapple one last week, amazing! No added sugar fudgesicles for the chocolate cravings...

My I need to lose a few pounds tricks are when I am feel like eating a mindless snack, I go brush my teeth...Crazy, I know but for me it takes the urge away to eat for awhile. A quick brisk walk also takes my mind off of food...till I pass the bakery, the custard shop, the pizza place and everything in between. I need a new route! There is a Italian ice shop about a mile away, sometimes when I'm feeling sluggish I'll walk there and get a lemon ice as a treat to get me back home and for walking the couple of miles. Do you have any shops, yogurt, ices or the such is your area to help lengthen your walk?

Thanks for reaching out and asking for help, that is a great first step to the road of success. I wish you the best of luck in dropping the extra pounds. We want you to be around for a very long time!

LuLu

Sure, PM me. My wife does the cooking & I'll pass on what you send me to her. Have you ever gone to D-Life's web site? It's a Diabetic site filled with info & forums. Thanks for your help.:eek:

The munchies seems to come and go, for me at least :hubba:

when I started smoking in the 60's, mostly jamaican, columbian and mexican, everything seemed to give me the munchies. I recall eating entire packages of oreo's, fig newtons etc. I was a much younger Puffin in those days too ;)

nowadays I smoke much more and rarely get the munchies and eat much less. Also, some weed seems to give me the munchies while other strains do not. Haze doesnt give me munchies often, 10 week flowered WhiteWidow usually does. Perhaps it's a thc/cbc thing??

all said, perhaps the strains you smoke, the foods you eat and the excercise you chose all combine to send you those cues to eat what you do

Dude just got to say me and you are the same... Here are some pointers iv picked up...

1. You want to start eating well here is a list of things to not eat.
A. no sodas, no fast food ever, no candy, no chocolate, try and only drink juice every so often, only 1 glass of milk a day, Try and stay away from pastas, breads, no salt or sugary drinks.

Good things to eat.
Water, Grilled Chicken, fish, turkey, Lean meats, hot dogs, pasta sauce's, Nuts, green vegys, And some fruits...

What you want to do is set up a eating schedule along with a workout schedule. You want to eat every 3 hours if you can. But only eat enough to where your stomach feels ok. Dont stuff yourself ever. For example
Breakfast: 2 eggs a grapefrout or some ruit and a glass of OJ
pre lunch: Hand full of nuts
Lunch: grilled chicken with spagetti sauce and fresh grated pramasian seasoned with garlic and chili powder with 1/4 can of green beans
Pre dinner: Hand full of nuts
Dinner: Seasoned baked fish with a lil lemon with remainder of can of green beans
After dinner: blue barrys and fruit with glass of milk..

You just have to find what you like and learn how to cook...

Also try doing a little cardio 3 times a week. for about 45 min a day. Try biking or jogging, or anything to get your heart up
I am telling you tho iv bin doing this religiosity since my motorcycle accident. And im in the best shape of my life. Every one in my family has a gut but i have a 6 pack.. And if your high, nuts and ice water are always good to have around.

Any one needs any tips for gaining muscle or losing weight let me know.

Reminds me that I haven't eaten in two days...

My bad.... Any one need recipes i do that too.... Master chef here!

Latest posts

Back