New member, dumb question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to growing and to the forums. I have a one week old that seems to be doing great, (I watch it like a hawk) but I got the seed from a horrible batch that I just know was male. (I'm growing it mostly for experience) My question is: Is their any chance that the plant (Or the seeds it produces if it is male) could be female? My CC is maxed right now and I can't afford to buy seeds at $40 a pack with a new baby in the house. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums!

If all plants are male, curse your luck all they would be producing is pollen unless they are hermaphrodites... If there is any single female you can clone her OR try to get small amounts of cannabis from somewhere fine and plant them, would be much cheaper.

Ok one more. (Please bear with me. I'm using a PSP and I can only type in so many words.) What would be the cheapest seedbank and which strain would you recommend? The list of strains and names make my head spin. @.@

Hello Galactic

I got the seed from a horrible batch that I just know was male.

The seed you have came from a female, males only pollinate.

Hello. (I'm growing it mostly for experience).

We all have to start somewhere ;)

My question is: Is their any chance that the plant (Or the seeds it produces if it is male) could be female?.

A seed is female or male, you could be lucky and its female, if the plant is male you will get no seeds, if its female you will get a sensimilla (all that means is a female with no seeds) as this is your only plant and IF its a female it will have no chance of pollination) this is a GOOD thing because the weed is stronger without seeds in it, a female plant only produces seeds if a male pollinates it.

a male plant produces pollen sacs not buds, your seed came from a hermaphorodite or a pollenated female, hermaphorodites are plants containing male and female genetics and will pollenate themselves.

here is a breakdown on the odds of a new seed making it to be a female. of ten seeds expect eight to crack, of those eight expect six to sprout to healthy plants, of those six expect three to turn into males, unless you buy feminized seeds wich i have found are not 100percent reliable.

the odds suck , thats why once you have a good strain thats strong and potent you clone the crap out of it till you are satisfied with the # of crops you have, this will take time. but stoners seem to have plenty of that.

You need to do some reading. Start at the Resources section. Also, read all the stickies at the beginning of the forums. No offense, but your questions show that you have a lot to learn--not just about growing, but about plant biology in general.

And, somewhere along the way, you are going to have to invest some money in this project if you want to get decent "results". After all, you are wanting to produce a product that you pay $300-500 an oz for...It's funny how we cringe at paying $40.00 for good beans, but hand over $50 to someone for 3-1/2 grams.

Since you are planting bagseed, I would encourage you to plant more seeds, as seed cost is not an issue. Watch for hermies when growing bagseed from high quality bud (bud that really shouldn't have any seeds). Males produce only pollen and are generally chopped down and destroyed as soon as they are discovered to be male. Females that are pollinated produce lots of seeds and very little bud. Females that are not pollinated produce bud.

Tell us a little bit about your grow--where, how, growing medium, nutes, lights...We can better direct to the resources you need for your particular situation.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your constructive critism. I will take it to heart. To be honest, I'm using mostly off-the-shelf products. (MG Potting Soil, MG Plant food, screw-in Flo lights) I made a box 3 years ago thats 17"x19"x6" with an additional 15"x16 3/4"x10.5" of aluminum foil covered plexiglass that have Four 2"x3" mesh covered windows. Its currently in my closet but the plant is in a temporary pot, elevated 4" from the light. My plant is 2 weeks old and in great health. Any advice?

i hate to say this but soon your gonna want to get a better soil. alot of people including myself have had problems with the MG soil. it has time released nutes and can cause problems later in your grow. use caution when you start feeding because of the added nutes in the soil its easy to over do it.

galactic_barret said:
Thanks for your constructive critism. I will take it to heart. To be honest, I'm using mostly off-the-shelf products. (MG Potting Soil, MG Plant food, screw-in Flo lights) I made a box 3 years ago thats 17"x19"x6" with an additional 15"x16 3/4"x10.5" of aluminum foil covered plexiglass that have Four 2"x3" mesh covered windows. Its currently in my closet but the plant is in a temporary pot, elevated 4" from the light. My plant is 2 weeks old and in great health. Any advice?

Foil is a very bad reflector that can cause hot spots. You are far better off with flat white paint. MG is not a good soil to use. I grow hydroponically, so can give you no soil advice, but do a search. Soil or a soilless mixture is a very minor expense. And as I said before, start more seeds. Some will not make it, some will be male. I would recommend 4 or 5 plants that will most likely end up to be 2.

I wish I had a camera so I could post some pictures. It seems to be growing a little slower than it was in it first few days and, I'm not sure if its normal or not, but the leaf veins are yellow. (Where can I read up about plant biology?) Someone posted about some Jiffy Premium Starting Mix, so I'm gonna use that with my next plants. I was also wondering if the dimensions of my box were too small. And could anyone recommend some Veg and Flowering cycle ferts?

i would feed them a light dose of nutrients... even sprinkle some compost on top of them and water in. they are hungry id bet and will love you for it. check the links for the site grow guides for all mj related questions in my sig, hit the forumas well- tons of threads for any ? around.

have a nice day!!!

Definitely do your research and take advantage of all the resources available on this site. That will help to get you on the right path. I hope to see you around the forums sometime soon and I wish you the best of luck with the plant. Take care and be safe.

Latest posts

Back