newbie grower :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovedenugs

Reaction score
hey everyone first indoor grow and have a baby here suggestions would be appreciated to help her mature to her potential.

here she is about 3 1/2 weeks

nuggy.jpg

Tell us about your grow space--size, lights, ventilation, and your growing method, soil mixture, nutrients, etc and we will give you our best.

Have you done your homework on growing cannabis? there are some good threads here on the subject I would suggest doing a lil reading just to familiarize yourself on how to grow cannabis. My other question would be what kind of setup do you have. By setup i mean are you indoors or out? if indoors what kind of lights, ventilation, how big is your growing space. there are so many factors to growing quality cannabis. to ask us for suggestions is too broad. give us an idea of what you know and what your doing already and we can guide you a little better. thanks and good luck. growing can be pretty expensive and very addictive!

She looks good :) The key to a great finish is optimizing your growing environment for the girl to live in. MJ is a hardy dilligent plant, but she is also very finicky when it comes to what she likes. Read all you can about MJ here and in other places, books magazines, etc. But don't take any one opinion as gospel as there are multiple ways to successfully grow MJ to harvest. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We are all opinionated motor-mouths here when it comes to growing, and we love to "talk shop", so if you have questions, put them out and someone will answer :)

ok guys sorry for not postin more info :) but here we go. ok im indoors in lil 2/2 closet i am useing a simple grow bulb from walmart its a 17 watt bulb that gives off 1500lumens and i also have a 60wt cfl on it. i know its low amount of lumens but its what i have atm. useing a crappy soil but its working supprisingly well for a dollarstore soil its 15/15/15/nkp and useing miricle grow tomato fertalizer. running 24hr lighting and have been since it first sprouted. they say u dont have to give rest cycle untill u bloom so dont think im going to since i dont have very much light. have nice lil fan blowing on it and only growing 1 at a time for now just so i can do it proper b4 exspanding my crop.

ps. think i may have just gave her nut burn any way i can flush without overwatering? heard of peroxide does it really work?
and ty everyone :)

Peroxide is not gonna help, that would be for root rot. you need to flush. and I wouldnt use Miracle Grow anymore as its too strong for MJ. Go to home depot and get some alaskan fish fertilizer and use that from now on. even better yet would be to order some nutrients offline or if you have a hydro store available to you go there. You need to start off slow with the nutes while shes young. You wouldnt feed a baby a t-bone steak, dont over water either. when her leaves start to drop a very lil bit or the pot feels very light water again, but dont underwater either. read the wet and dry cycle thread on this site to further details. But yeah definately flush her to remove all those salts. then let the soil dry out. make sure the pot has good drainage and use a bit of ph'ed water. ph should be 6.3-6.8. if you dont have a ph pen, order one youre gonna need it. theyre 30 bucks on ebay. go with the hannah one i dont trust the made in china crap. Just suggestions, growing is not cheap but very rewarding and very addicting. Eventually youll need a flowering light too, which you will also find on ebay for around 200 bucks. those flouros will only get you so far. Good luck @ green mojo!

for a 2x2 spot id go with a 400w hps/mh digital setup. try to get an aircooled one too and put a centrifugal fan on it. you can get a fan and filter on ebay for around 150 bucks.

lovedenugs said:
hey everyone first indoor grow and have a baby here suggestions would be appreciated to help her mature to her potential.
Hi there lovedenugs ;)

First time grows can be rewarding or a total disaster freind :rolleyes:
It takes alot of reading/studying.
Take small steps to begin with .
Keep your grow quiet :)

Yet the best part is to have fun watching her grow each day :icon_smile:
Good luck .
THC :)

The 3 most critical things for growing MJ is proper soil, proper light, and proper ventilation. Water and temperature and nutrients are all very important but fall under the other 3 in importance.

Proper soil: MJ doesn't like just any nutrients like most house plants(forget anything you know about growing house plants as it doesn't apply for MJ). There are 2 best ways to do soil(in my opinion). That is either organically(no fertilizers) or nonsoil medium(either soilless or hydro). I would highly recomend that you go to HD or Lowes or a garden store and ask for Organic soil. But if you go organic, you will absolutely need to go to the threads that cover organics and read read read. Also go to the book store and get the lastes copy of Skunk magazine as it has a super article on organic growing. If you are intimidated by organics, you can go with just regular chems in organic soil as several people here do that. They let the plants grow in the organic soil for a 5-6 weeks then begin adding in MJ nutes like General Hydroponics Flora 3part. Go to this website and just look through all of the stuff that they offer. There are many of these "grow-stores" online and shipping right to your door is easy and don't worry about law enforcement chasing the stuff to your door because they don't :) Discount-Hydro.com :)

Proper light: MJ is a high energy plant, and like any high yielding fruit or vegetable plant, it needs as much light as you can give it without cooking it. The standard (if you don't already know) is (minimum)3000 lumens per square foot of growing space for vegging plants; (minimum) 5000 lumens per sqft of growing space for flowering. It is prefferable but not absolute that you use a lighting spectrum of 6500K for vegging and around 3000K for flowering. I don't know about that grow light from walmart. Many times those lights aren't in the correct spectrum to really help the plant grow, and they don't put out enough lumens. Many of us here use the T5HO florescent lights for vegging, however for a 2x2 grow space the T5HO will not fit well and give enough lumens. Your other option as suggested HB is to get an electronic ballasted MH/HPS in a small vented hood. Here is a website that I buy from as they are very reliable, but you can get good deals on Ebay as well(which is where I found this webstore the first time) hpsgrowlightstore.com :) I would suggest a 400w system as well. You can start with the MH bulb for vegging and then switch to HPS when you get ready to flower. :)

Ventilation: with the new grow lights come heat. Too much Heat is a killer and must be removed. Having a fan on the plant is good, you will want to keep a fan blowing from under the plant as it grows. But that isn't close to enough for growing plants in an enclosed space(especially when its flowering time and total darkness is required during the 12hrs of dark time). Ventilation serves 2 purposes; Pulling out the heat, and plants breath just like we do and need fresh air that has lots of CO2. Just stirring the air with a fan doesn't work for that. You will need to buy a centrifugal type of fan that can be connected to the light by way of flex hose and routed so that the hot, CO2 depleted air can be removed, and fresh air can be pulled into the grow space. I recommend that you look at the different setups in the grow journals for examples of how people set up different vent systems. :)

As I am tired of typing, I will let another tell you about the other important parts of growing this wonderful plant. Welcome to your new addiction :D smoking MJ isn't addictive but growing it definitely is :D

Well, I can tell you that if you want to get anything, you are going to have to get a lot more light. For vegging, you need a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft. So minimum vegging light for your space is 12,000 lumens. You can see by this how much more light you need. I would recommend looking into HO T5s for vegging. For flowering, you are going to need a minimum of 5000 lumens per sq ft or 20,000 lumens. A 250W HPS would do for this space. You are also going to need fans--a good exhaust fan (NOT a duct booster fan) for air exchange and cooling and an oscillating fan to move air around.

I would also recommend starting more seeds. It usually takes 6-8 weeks to show sex. If you have a male and no females, you have just basically wasted that 6-8 weeks and now have to start over.

I would recommend against using any kind of pre-nuted soil--especially something 15-15-15--that is most likely where the burn came from and it is not anywhere close to the nute percentages you want to be running now. Remember that these are NOT tomatoes--there are many great nutrients formulated for mj out there.

This is one of those hobbies that you pretty much get out of it what you put into it. You are not going to be able to optimize your grow until you have a space that meets the minimum criteria for growing cannabis. If you do not/cannot get more light, you should probably wait until you can. This activity takes knowledge, time, effort, patience, love, and (unfortunately) money. There are a lot of things that can be accomplished on the cheap, but you still need what you need.

thankyou all for your tips and suggestions im only growing 1 atm and im not worried about losing it. its my first time and wanna get my method right before i spend real money on everything. i want to get as much info as possible and looks like i found a good place :)

guys my soil mixture is organic compost, peat humus, sand, composted and aged softwood bark fines, and perlite. i thought this would be good considering all tht i have read about mj. it works pretty well considering how cheap it was premaid.i had a chance to see my roots on this lil one when i transplanted and they looked strong bad thing was i had it in cup for lil too long. what are your opinions on this energy efficiant lights i found they are mushroom shaped bulbs 150w they give off 5k lumens. i was thinking of getting 2 of those for blooming.

for your size room the minimum lumens youll need is 20,000. I reall am not familiar with the bulbs you are referring to so I cannot comment on them. Look at THG's thread on how to build a cheap 300w cool tube fixture. thats your best bet if youre trying to go the cheap route!

ok bro and ty for your help its really appreciated. i have only truley grew 1 time b4 this and only managed to get 1oz. cured and dried. i guess not complete fail for first time. but it wasnt how i wanted it i want potentency and i think i harvest too soon to be honest got excited on first grow lol.

o and how do you guys feel on miracle gro leaf shine? is tht ok to use to help veg?

MG isn't organic if that matters to you.

You need to get fertilizers that were made with marijuana in mind. When i started I used Roots organics. Now I don't use any thing but supersoil.

Some folks will be by soon to tell you what they use.

well rosebud i cant really go completly organic this time cause i already started out pretty cheap and crappy lol but i guess it doesnt matter this time, after i do more research on it i might try it but for now im just doing everything i can to help them florish in **** conditions lol.

all i can say is thank god mj is forgiving of my bad green thumb lol

Latest posts

Back