? on mothers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mother for sure so far the clones are doin great we will see in the next few days they should be getting close

johnp said:
mother for sure so far the clones are doin great we will see in the next few days they should be getting close

If you are looking to keep her as in this one then I wld trim her back to where she is manageable. The thing with keeping moms at least in my very small experience is that you need to manage them well or they will quickly over grow your area. As they get taller it gets harder to get that good light penetration and they start to stretch fast...probably in search of light. My two Larry OG moms have gotten to that point so they will get a hvy trim tomorrow. Those cuts will either go in the trash or get put in rapid rooters for the next wave. You really don't want to keep a 7 foot mom. I personally don't let them get over 3 feet. And more like 30 inches max. Like I said you can replace her with a clone and start fresh while preserving this pheno and then flower the old mom out also....but if you went that route I wld give her a good trim and keep what you need for clone stock and then maybe a transplant before flower.

:yeahthat:

For future reference the size of the pot you keep your mother in dictates the maximum size she will grow. Some people keep "bonzai" mothers that are literally 8 inches tall and in 4 or 5 inches of soil and keep them for years. Small pot, small mum.

SensiStarFan said:
:yeahthat:

For future reference the size of the pot you keep your mother in dictates the maximum size she will grow. Some people keep "bonzai" mothers that are literally 8 inches tall and in 4 or 5 inches of soil and keep them for years. Small pot, small mum.

Good point...I didn't mention that my moms are in 1/2 gallon pots and are root bound for sure....which in the case of mom keeping can be a very good thing.

Hamster Lewis said:
Good point...I didn't mention that my moms are in 1/2 gallon pots and are root bound for sure....which in the case of mom keeping can be a very good thing.
is this a half gallon pot?View attachment 161782 I'd like to keep My WWxBB for a mother plant! I've seen your grows Ham, I'm paying attention to you!:cool:

Gixxerman420 said:
is this a half gallon pot?View attachment 161782 I'd like to keep My WWxBB for a mother plant! I've seen your grows Ham, I'm paying attention to you!:cool:

Those look about the same size as mine...I will snap a pic or two of them tomorrow....but those you have wld do...hell I hve kept moms in 20 ounce cups...being root bound actually helps if you ask me. Helps keep them small...I wish I had the patience to do a true bonsai....but I work to many hours to be watering it all the time.

Hamster Lewis said:
Those look about the same size as mine...I will snap a pic or two of them tomorrow....but those you have wld do...hell I hve kept moms in 20 ounce cups...being root bound actually helps if you ask me. Helps keep them small...I wish I had the patience to do a true bonsai....but I work to many hours to be watering it all the time.
So these would certainly do for motherhood... Gotcha, didn't think of the root bound thingy; even after reading it in your earlier post (was stoned)... Makes a lot of sense though... Anyone know why smart pots are better? I've heard (SSF) that the bags stop root growth from wrapping up at the sides and bottom and encourages root growth into the center... How does this happen? Is it a compound or a texture thing?

Nevermind... SSF beat you guys to it:
Originally Posted by SensiStarFan
The way it works is once the root tip hits the edge of the pot it is exposed to air and that kills the root tip forcing the root to start other shoots off of it.

Again, I have not used them it is just the gist (jist?) of what I have read.

-SSF-

When doing a bit of lst, i use cut rubber bands & opened out paper clips. They were all I could find the first time I did it and because they work well, I still use them. The stretch in the band allows for growth without loosing position and stops the clip digging in and damaging the branch.

Latest posts

Back