ph npk meters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalholic

Reaction score
Just want to know what will be the best ph npk meter to buy? and one that really works. thanks to all that will post up in this thread.

I run a Hanna pH meter, and a Bluelab Truncheon PPM meter

Never heard of a NPK meter, I am assuming you mean a PPM meter, and a pH meter. The 2 I use are in "one of the best" categories...

well i thought they made a meter for nutes but maybe it is a ppm but i thought ppm meters are only good for hydro set ups. Thanks though

Hi,

I've used a Hanna 9813-0 Combo PH & total dissolved solids (tds) (PPM/EC) meter for many years. This isn't my first one as I manage to kill them off every 5 years or so. The water proof electrodes are separated from the main unit by a heavy duty cable and they last a long time if not smacked around. The electode is also replaceable when you kill one off or the time comes to replace it so you won't have to get a whole new unit. There are more expensive meters as well as cheaper meters but this one works pretty solid and is very easy to calibrate.

The last Hanna that died on me wasn't any fault of the unit. Despite it being very water resistent, my previous grow partner accidentally slopped about a half gallon of straight PureBlend Pro nutes on our Hanna and it was just too much for it and it was never the same and I bought a new one. The nutes got down in the calibration adjustment pots and wacked them out.

If you have a tds meter you can gauge the strength of what you're feeding your plants. Seldom have I found nutrients to mix up at proper strength following directions on the label... the mix almost always comes out too strong especially if you add other amendments and flowering boosters to the basic nutes. With a meter you can learn to adapt measurements to your readings and accurately either mix up or dilute your nutes to arrive at your desired feeding program.

Happy Growing!:cool:

metalholic said:
well i thought they made a meter for nutes but maybe it is a ppm but i thought ppm meters are only good for hydro set ups. Thanks though

Well,,, a PPM meter is for nutes,,, the advantage is that you can adjust your solution on the fly, meaning, if this week I feed @1100 and the plants look fine, then, next feed I will feed @1200 (these are examples), and if I burn the plants then I will jump back down to 1100 until I want to try again. You don't have this luxury if you are using measuring syringes/shot glasses that you measure in ML, kinda hard to remember where you are at. + there is all kinds of other advantages, well worth the $$.

You can get Bluelab's on eBay for around $110, and a good pH meter will run you 80-100. They do make cheaper BUT you get what you pay for :hubba:

Latest posts

Back