Prepare for Liftoff - Apollo 11 Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THCPezDispenser

Makka Pakka Smoka Doob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Time for a grow. Been working on building a new setup, I have scrapped the old 18" x 18" x 4' grow box in favor of two new nooks I have allocated in the basement. The veg area will be seperate, and I am building it under a set of stairs. This area will be 18" x 18" x 4' (at it's highest) as it is directly under the staircase spanning two steps. I am building an enclosed box and will be using 8 CFL's, 1650 lumens each for a total of 13200 lumens. Should be plenty for my 3 sqft veg area, and plans are to only have 1 mother live there.

Flowering is going to be in a 18" x 18" x 6' flowering area. Not much bigger than the old box, but an additional 2' to grow upwards. I have a 150W HPS for flowering, definitely want to move up to a 250W but that's an upgrade for later. 150W in 3 sqft is low for 2 plants, but my yield requirement is low as well so I will see how it goes.

Based on what I smoke (about 1/2 ounce every 2 months) my plans are to start with 1 mother and 2 clones vegging, and 2 clones in flower. Now I will cut this back to one clone veg / one clone flowering perpetually depending on the yield I end up getting, I don't want to have a whack of weed sitting around and I really don't want to be giving it away and end up becoming someone's "source". Not my thing, want to keep on the down low.

The rooms are still in progress, and I have been lazy about it. So I put in two seeds tonight to give me a kick in the rear as those ladies will need some lodgings :D

Hoping at least 1 of the two seeds will be female, I will be taking a clone fairly early off both candidates to do a quick flower to sex them. If not, another 2 will go in. A bit of a slow approach if I start getting males, but I really don't want to have a lot of plants going so I'm comfortable with my decision.

Soooo, girls are Apollo 11 F2's from Joey Weed, got them at hempdepot.ca:

Indoor / Outdoor

These are F2 seeds made from the best females and males of Apollo 11. The Brothers Grimm are the originators of this strain and it has gotten a lot of good reviews over the years. It has a better yield than C99 with a more mellow giggly type of high. Here is what is said about Apollo 11. This indoor hybrid has a high calyx/leaf ratio & finishes flowering in 7 weeks or less. Our big-yielding, lemon-scented female clone named "Genius" because of her CLEAR, energetic, thought-provoking high was crossed with a robust Cinderella 99 male to create Apollo Eleven. Expect some variation among individuals. The best females are short, heavily branched plants with multitudes of dense, resinous bud sites - perfect for SCROG. The smoke has a sweet citrus flavour. The high is UP & HAPPY. The picture up top is a few buds on one of the females. It does have a very mild tropical fruit smell. It smokes smooth and has a great high. I think you will be very happy with this one.

Indoor flowering: 7weeks.

Wish me luck on a quick female! Pic attached of the two potientials. They are in a wetted paper towel which I folded over and tucked in a ziplock bag (not zipped) and laid on a heating vent.

IMG_3454 (Large).JPG

Question Goddess. You said Apollos were easy to clone, ever try them with just water? I was thinking of just putting my sexers in a glass and putting them straight into 12/12, anyone ever try that? Not going to do it as an ongoing process or anything, just want to find out if I have ladies ASAP.

I heard something about cutting off a leaf and sticking it in water and putting in in 12/12 and it showing sex than saying but never tried it. Might be a myth, anyone here to myth bust this?

THCPezDispenser said:
Question Goddess. You said Apollos were easy to clone, ever try them with just water? I was thinking of just putting my sexers in a glass and putting them straight into 12/12, anyone ever try that? Not going to do it as an ongoing process or anything, just want to find out if I have ladies ASAP.

I have never cloned in straight water--I think algae could be a problem if you just stuck them in a glass of water and into 12/12. I also think that you would want some kind of root growth before you stuck them nto 12/12. You have to use a growing tip to clone--you cannot clone a leaf. Check out Hick's cloning method

So paranoia has got the best of me. The last seeds I started were too close to the floros and I fried the tops. This time I had them too far away to prevent that and they stretched :eek: Anyway, I have moved them closer, so I am not too worried. I have a fan on them and they should bush up. The tops have started growing more than the stems today so things are turning around. Hopefully they will forgive me (I had their best interests in mind, ya know? :) )

IMG_3516 (Large).JPG

IMG_3517 (Large).JPG

IMG_3518 (Large).JPG

As you may have noticed, the plants are now numbered as well. #1 went to the most vigourous plant, she was the first with her tap root out and first to break soil. She also seems to be a healthier color green. I'll refer to them as such going forward. Oh and the veg room is nearly complete, I am having trouble tracking down mylar so I am going to start with flat white and upgrade when I can find it at a half decent price.

well looking good, congrats they look to be helty looking sprouts. as they get bigger u can drop the cfl's way closers. thats been my exprince up to this point, all thow i keep my 3 85 watt cfl's at 5klums each about 6 in's from the girls. now.

yea they look pretty small on top for 8 days - but that is probably becuase they been using all their energy to get more light. But hopefully as you say that will turn around. I use cfls in my grows at the moment and I keep them between 1 and 2 inches away from the top of the plants and just check them every day to check if I need to more the lights. At this stage they can suddenly grow a lot, especially when they are stretching, so just keep an eye on them and let them tell you what they want :)

Latest posts

Back