Quick Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it boils down to economics ?-- Is the extra growth from 24/7 worth one third more power usage ?-- Small time grower it may not matter but what about a small to moderate commercial operation ?--

It speeds up sexual maturity also. The faster and stronger a cannabis plant grows the quicker it reaches sexual maturity.

absolutely not true Hammy, cannabis does use the dark period as part of its growth cycle. because you haven't been able to discern it's growth in the dark you assume it has no effect. Then why does cannabis intake CO2 with the lights on and O2 when the lights are off?

The only thing I have discerned is the stretch that comes from the dark period. I have been vegging 24 on for years now and have to go with what works for me.

We know it needs darkness to flower, we are talking 18 vs 24 hour veg.
My 1 cent, not worth 2: I have done it both ways. I learned in master gardeners that plants do repair work during the dark time. After doing both ways I prefer 18 hours veg. My plants are happier than blasting lights at them all day and night. I lived in alaska and even there, the plants get a rest in the summer. I have been doing 18 hours for a couple years now and will stick with it. Different strokes and all.

.... Then why does cannabis intake CO2 with the lights on and O2 when the lights are off?

Respiration is still taking place even with the lights off.

@umbra
I am missing what you are getting at?
The processes are different, but the final outcome is the same. The only way I can see this happening is the plant using stored energy that it gathered during photosynthesis.

I don't know, I'm high with a bad head cold.

transpiration with the lights on involves CO2 and photosynthesis, but transpiration with lights off involves O2 and no photosynthesis. Different processes because the plant is doing something else. Whether it is from stored energy or not doesn't change that they are different plant mechanisms at work.

I got a quick question -- Darkness last couple days of bloom ?-- Anybody do it and if so how long and did it do anything to the trichs ?

Photosynthesis, respiration and transportation are the 3 processes. Photosynthesis is the plant combining light, CO2, H2O and nutrients into glucose, O2 and hormones. Respiration is the plant processing glucose and O2 into simple sugars and energy and H2O. Transpiration is the plant putting H2O vapors and O2 back into the atmosphere. All this takes place in the stomata cells of plants.
42-fresh-posynthesis-cellular-respiration-flow-chart.gif

Photosynthesis, respiration and transportation are the 3 processes. Photosynthesis is the plant combining light, CO2, H2O and nutrients into glucose, O2 and hormones. Respiration is the plant processing glucose and O2 into simple sugars and energy and H2O. Transpiration is the plant putting H2O vapors and O2 back into the atmosphere. All this takes place in the stomata cells of plants. View attachment 250929
Yes that is what happens with lights on and plant taking in CO2. But it is not what happens when the lights are off. and the plant taking in O2.

I got a quick question -- Darkness last couple days of bloom ?-- Anybody do it and if so how long and did it do anything to the trichs ?
That question always comes up. I wonder if some old hippy believes that. I have no idea, but why would it help?

Back when I got my White Widow seed I read it in some of thier info -- Recommended keeping the Widow in darkness the last week before harvest -- That would be entirely too long -- I don't understand and a rotation doesn't allow stuff like that --- It might have something to do with the processes that happen in the dark that Umbra is talking about !-- I have negative knowledge so I asked !

one of the excuses/reasons i have read about the darkness thing is that light degrades thc and the terpenes too so the plant replenishes the thc and terpenes in the trichomes during the dark period. i have never done the extended darkness thing. i just chop right before lights come on. the doobage i grow is plenty strong for me as it is so i don't need anything too complicated like that.

I know that's true OF -- If U got the genetics and the plant has a fairly decent environment U get Dank like we grow -- I am down with lowest common denominator -- Don't make it harder than it is -- I don't have to understand the intricacies of organic chemistry -- Me do this --so plant do that --them me get high or medicated from smoking or eating said plant !-- One thing I believe is that sister seed grown by different farmers in different ways and places won't be the same -- Close but not the same -- Way outta my range of understanding so I just accept it !-- Anyone who can tell the difference in 28-29-30 % THC is way more picky than me !-- I'm not gonna try --
Christmas Wish List :-- All I want for Christmas is exclusive control of a highly desirable plant !-- or 2 or 3 ?

My understanding of indoor growing, is to optimize the best outdoor environment indoors. Best temp, best water, humidity, ect because you can control it. Since plants don't naturally grow with 24 hours of light, it makes little sense to do so.

It speeds up sexual maturity also. The faster and stronger a cannabis plant grows the quicker it reaches sexual maturity.
I remember once having some very small seedlings, maybe 4 inches tall ,bud and give me seed because of a shortened light cycle!! Those 2 week old plants reached sexual maturity!!! just something to ponder!! I can pretty much state as fact, my plants always seemed happier with 6 hours of darkness.

Latest posts

Back