regeneration and root space

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imager777

Reaction score
This is just a general question on regeneration; as I can't seem to find a specific answer in any of the information I've seen online.

I'm regenerating for the first time and am now seeing some new growth. So, so far so good. I have the plants in their original containers.

MY QUESTION
Since I've already cut off a third or more of the original vegitation from the plant when harvesting, do I need to transplant to allow the root mass to continue to grow; or can I leave them in their original containers for a bit to let the above ground vegitation catch up?

I know normally the roots grow as deep as the plant grows high; but this is a special case. I don't know if things will equal out with a reveged plant or if the roots still keep going even thought the top of the plant is gone.

No I don't want to spark up another conversation over wether a plant can be root bound or not.

Hate to bump my own post; but not one person here knows or wants to share the answer???

Sorry i dont have the answer to your ?. But i may know who. Puffin afatty is on his 5th generation on his snowwhite plant. Check him out and im sure he will know. Later

You should transplant to allow for new root growth. I just revegged a plant. It's in flower now. I'll post some pics later:).

i rejuvy alot of my ladies...the rule is at least double your container size every rejuvy...or learn to trim roots...and i'm not good at that. i go a gatorade container, to a gallon, and if there worth it...a 2.5 gallon bucket, and if they leave me utterly retarded...a 5 gallon bucket, by then i got clones. just keep letting them reveg...
now, the theory on a plant only gets as high as the roots are deep is wrong...i just harvested a lady that measured 30" harvested from a container maybe 4" in height...it held app. 500 ml...i'm not saying you'll have a monster or wont get root bound, just that the old rule on it has holes in it. any other questions on rejuvying just shout. oh, and when you rejuvy, expect your lady to be a bush! i have a lady that i'm rejuvying now, and she's like a hedge. i used no topping (other than harvest) and no lst, i cant even count her tops, she's exploding growth every day...i'll post a couple pics tomorrow after fishin...

The more root space the plant has to grow the better.

Period.

It all just depends on how far are you willing to take her?

At the least remove the container while holding the plant upside down, with the stalk between your fingers (for the noob onlooker) and gently slide the container up. Than take a pair of scissors and gently make 4-6 (depending on the diameter) evneny spaced cuts into the roots on the edges. With the scissors dissecting the roots veritcally. Do not close the scissors all the way when cutting, just about halfway or so...

This is to break up the roots, untangling them if you will to stimulate root growth. If you do this right you can re-use the container and get a bit more out of the space. I would always recommend a larger container, but not too large as you want to gradually step up the process. I do this for all transplanting but usually I use my bare mitts instead of scissors. Also when I De-Bud, I like to use an xacto knife.

-FNG

Sweet, thanks guys. I'll repot tomorrow. ...move the plants to a larger container as well.

I can always find good information on how to actually go about the process of rejuvination; but transplanting is never mentioned. It made sense to me that the roots would still be growing. However, what make sense in my head and what actually happens don't always correspond.

The Effen Gee said:
The more root space the plant has to grow the better.

Period.

It all just depends on how far are you willing to take her?

At the least remove the container while holding the plant upside down, with the stalk between your fingers (for the noob onlooker) and gently slide the container up. Than take a pair of scissors and gently make 4-6 (depending on the diameter) evneny spaced cuts into the roots on the edges. With the scissors dissecting the roots veritcally. Do not close the scissors all the way when cutting, just about halfway or so...

This is to break up the roots, untangling them if you will to stimulate root growth. If you do this right you can re-use the container and get a bit more out of the space. I would always recommend a larger container, but not too large as you want to gradually step up the process. I do this for all transplanting but usually I use my bare mitts instead of scissors. Also when I De-Bud, I like to use an xacto knife.

-FNG
do you have any links on all this? i'm very interested in learning it, but i love my ladies, and the way i can screw it up would set new world records.

imager777 said:
This is just a general question on regeneration; as I can't seem to find a specific answer in any of the information I've seen online.

I'm regenerating for the first time and am now seeing some new growth. So, so far so good. I have the plants in their original containers.

MY QUESTION
Since I've already cut off a third or more of the original vegitation from the plant when harvesting, do I need to transplant to allow the root mass to continue to grow; or can I leave them in their original containers for a bit to let the above ground vegitation catch up?

I know normally the roots grow as deep as the plant grows high; but this is a special case. I don't know if things will equal out with a reveged plant or if the roots still keep going even thought the top of the plant is gone.

No I don't want to spark up another conversation over wether a plant can be root bound or not.

In soil I would think you may need to trim the roots or keep the potsize expanding each grow.

I do a hydro grow and dont worry at all about the roots getting container bound, as a matter of fact I heard it's good for them in hydro. JMTCW :hubba:

Sorry man...no links.

When I do my transplants on my grow I will post pics of the procedure. I actually saw this on a video I downloaded a long time ago and have used the tech ever since.

It's kinda like stretching your legs out after a 14 hour plane ride...your pretty much doing the same for the plant.

If you are nervous about damaging the roots just use your fingers to break the ball up a little bit.

Just be gentle big guy, she's sensitive, petite and very delicate.

Latest posts

Back