S.a.g.e.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

October420

the King of October
Reaction score
I'll be wrapping up my current grow in about 3 to 4 weeks. I've had 4 grow's since getting started, everything I've grown to date has been Indica's.

I grow under LED's and over the past 4 grows I think I've learned a few tricks to maximize yields, namely topping the plants then waiting a week or so and topping again in two places to create 4 main cola's. Seems to keep the canopy at the same elevation and allows me to keep my LED grow-light pretty close to the canopy.

As soon as I bring in my current grow I plan on growing some Sativa, I have some S.A.G.E. from TH Seeds, I know it's a Sativa dominant hybrid. I'm hoping to get ahead a little on the learning curve by hitting up the Brain Trust here at MP.

Will my technique for growing under LED's work for growing a Sativa? Topping, then topping again? I know Sativa's take longer to grow, TH Seeds say's S.A.G.E. has a 70 to 77 day flowering time.

So anyone having experience growing sativa's under LED's I'd love your input.

Peace

I've never grown heavy Sativas but I have grown some hybrids that were fairly Sativa dominant. I would recommend that you like you have done but then set a screen over the plant and do what is known as "Scrog". In this method, you cover the plant with some kind of screen material that has 2"x3" or 2"x4" or even 2"x2" or 4"x4" holes.

I use welded wire dog fence with the 2"x3" holes. then as the branches try to grow up through the screen holes, you tuck them back under to continuously and spread the branches out until the screen is half filled. Once the buds start forming you can allow the bud shoots to begin growing up through the screen. This will hold the canopy at mostly one level for the lighting to do its job.

Did you know that if you fim rather than top that you (usually) get 4 tops instead of 2?

I am just learning LEDs, but I would think that sativa dominant strains would do well under LED with your method as long as you are not underlit. I do know that DGF recommends really trimming up your plants a whole lot so the light can penetrate.

I've never grown heavy Sativas but I have grown some hybrids that were fairly Sativa dominant. I would recommend that you like you have done but then set a screen over the plant and do what is known as "Scrog". In this method, you cover the plant with some kind of screen material that has 2"x3" or 2"x4" or even 2"x2" or 4"x4" holes.

I use welded wire dog fence with the 2"x3" holes. then as the branches try to grow up through the screen holes, you tuck them back under to continuously and spread the branches out until the screen is half filled. Once the buds start forming you can allow the bud shoots to begin growing up through the screen. This will hold the canopy at mostly one level for the lighting to do its job.

Thanks, Hushpuppy.....eventually I'm going to try a Scrog. So do you fill in the screen during Veg, or Bloom? Maybe both?

Well you actually do some of both. You have to figure for the amount of stretch that you will get from the moment they are flipped until the go into full flower and quit stretching. Then when you set the plant in flower under the screen, you can let it veg for a short period to get some growth under the screen then flip and continue tucking the growth through the stretch period.

What you don't want to do is what I did this last time and let them too long and then they stretched too long and got really tall because I didn't have anymore room for tucking.
If you have a sativa that is going to double or triple in size after the flip, then you want to flip them as soon as you set them under the screen. Whereas, if you have an Indica dominant hybrid (I don't recommend doing full Indica structure in scrog) then you let it veg for a 5-10 days under the screen before flipping. Everything that falls in between those would adjust accordingly. Often you have to know the plant to guess it best. I would say if you don't know for sure then flip them as soon as you set them and each time you regrow that strain you can adjust your timeing to get the maximum yield per plant.

Well you actually do some of both. You have to figure for the amount of stretch that you will get from the moment they are flipped until the go into full flower and quit stretching. Then when you set the plant in flower under the screen, you can let it veg for a short period to get some growth under the screen then flip and continue tucking the growth through the stretch period.

What you don't want to do is what I did this last time and let them too long and then they stretched too long and got really tall because I didn't have anymore room for tucking.
If you have a sativa that is going to double or triple in size after the flip, then you want to flip them as soon as you set them under the screen. Whereas, if you have an Indica dominant hybrid (I don't recommend doing full Indica structure in scrog) then you let it veg for a 5-10 days under the screen before flipping. Everything that falls in between those would adjust accordingly. Often you have to know the plant to guess it best. I would say if you don't know for sure then flip them as soon as you set them and each time you regrow that strain you can adjust your timeing to get the maximum yield per plant.
Thanks Hushpuppy, I might give it a go. I love seeing pictures of a well done SCROG, impressive.

Mine is awful right now. I made a mistake and allowed them to go too long before flipping and now they are grown clean up to the lights. BUT next time when I stick my clones in, I will know what to do :)

Latest posts

Back