So what do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did get a good bit on those two only when misting the topsoil but no nutes in the water, so at first i almost expected that but not sure if thats the main cause. i just invested in a ph test meter, i also just transplanted yesterday. Im trying to be optomistic about this one, they are good strains and thankfully they can bounce back pretty well.........

thanks bbfan, maybe i need to get the essentials for raising and lowering the ph, from what i know bone meal , sawdust etc depending on what it needs. so would i make a mixture and transplant again?

The Home Depot by me (It snows alot here) carries EarthGro soil year round. No nutes in it and its cheap. You do need to add some perlite to it but it does a good job and its less than 3 dollars a 40lb bag.

Trophy-maybe i'll go with that next time, would it hurt to go from mg to that if i transplant or wait and see how this plays out first?

stinkyelements said:
Trophy-maybe i'll go with that next time, would it hurt to go from mg to that if i transplant or wait and see how this plays out first?

Which MG soil do you hve them in right now...? Do you hve the seed starting mix? Or is it still in that time release MG?

they are in an mg potting mix continuous release 3 months, but very low nutes, african violet potting soil wich is great stuff i thought would balance it out somehow but the mg kills it :(

stinkyelements said:
they are in an mg slow release, african violet mix wich is great stuff i thought would balance it out somehow but the mg kills it :(

You cld leave them in it and watch them like a hawk or get some better soil and transplant...either way you will need to keep an eye on your ph...ph is the key to everything...you can do everything right but if your ph is off your grow can suffer big time...

maybe i need to get the essentials for raising and lowering the ph, from what i know bone meal , sawdust etc depending on what it needs is that the best way to go about fixing ph. so would i make a mixture and transplant again if i need to for sure?

I buy my up and down..I am not even sure how to make it....you need to ph everything you gve them to around 6.5 for soil grows...you need a ph meter to do this accurately...the strips they sell suck...I am not sure what you use to check ph...

so i guess i should check the ph of the soil and water before planting and throughout.......I know it needs to be around 6.5 i think it was u that told me not to get the strips so the ph meter is worth the buy.

stinkyelements said:
so i guess i should check the ph of the soil and water before planting and throughout.......I know it needs to be around 6.5 i think it was u that told me not to get the strips so the ph meter is worth the buy.

You don't need to check the ph of the soil so much as get a soil that is fairly neutral and does not lean too much one way or the other...I never check my run off unless their is a huge problem...I just use a soil that is as nute free as possible and then everything i gve them is ph'd to 6.5...everything...I hve had zero ph problems since doing this...

Strips from aquarium stores are accurate enough, and fairly cheap- the ones with the three or five tabs on them- I got them last from www.indigo.com but I do prefer the digi myself- it saves the effort, and in the end it is cheaper. personally I like to have a manual backup to check against the digi. I would also be interested in where or what brand name hampster is purchasing for his PH up and down 'solution'?

stinkyelements said:
thats why i used the african violet mix wich keeps the ph at 7

You can't trust that soil to keep your ph at 7 in my opinion...this is what i wld do right now...I wld get a soil with little to no nutrients in it...I wld transplant to the new soil and then use my ph pen to ph any water or nutrients to 6.5...then keep an eye on them...

Camiudom said:
Strips from aquarium stores are accurate enough, and fairly cheap- the ones with the three or five tabs on them- I got them last from www.indigo.com but I do prefer the digi myself- it saves the effort, and in the end it is cheaper. personally I like to have a manual backup to check against the digi. I would also be interested in where or what brand name hampster is purchasing for his PH up and down 'solution'?

My ph up and down came with my first DWC purchase...the dwc itself was an overpriced storage tub but the ph up and down that came with it work well...I don;t know what brand they are... they hve the stupid websites name on them...

Hamster Lewis said:
You can't trust that soil to keep your ph at 7 in my opinion...this is what i wld do right now...I wld get a soil with little to no nutrients in it...I wld transplant to the new soil and then use my ph pen to ph any water or nutrients to 6.5...then keep an eye on them...

HL!! I appeciate this, I think thats what im going to do if your interested i'll keep u updated, and if your down stick with me on this one!!!:rolleyes::hitchair:and i appreciate any other opinions and support.

You can buy PH adjusters at any hydro store or online. Earth Juice makes an organic set, that I've been wanting to try, but I also have some by "Europonics" "olivia's", and "General Hydro". Adding a tbls. of dolomite lime per gallon of soil helps to stabalize the ph of your soil. But you will still need to adjust ALL water, and Nute solution, before adding it to your pots.

I agree that the twist on your leafs looks like a PH problem, so you have something going on. I would do like Ham suggested and transplant out of that soil if you can find the seed starter stuff that he is using. If you can't then I would flush the heck out of it, and try to flush out as much of those time release nutes as possable. The problem with that stuff is you have no way of knowing when it is done feeding, until your leaves are yellowing...and I would hate to have it go that far! Also when you go to flower and have those granules still releasing nutes, you will be feeding nitrogen, which you don't want in flower.

First thing first though...if you can't transplant, then you still need to get that PH under control...good luck!

Thanks LF. Im gonna try a few diff ways to go about this just not sure whats the best or wanna risk messin this up......... as of now new growth is looking good and the other plant doesnt have this issue, yet, so i may just do what i can with the resources i have and transplant and try to figure out what i really need to adjust it properly.........Ahhhhhhhhh

Latest posts

Back