some problems, please help. *PICTURES*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loolagigi

UP UP AND AWAY!
Reaction score
ok guys and gals. i have a journal on these plants but havnt been able to get the advice i need. i even posted in problems section, and its hard because some people are using soil, so the advice may be non benificial. i gatta try here. i am in a cabinet with temps at 77 humidity 50. using lots of cfl's. using flora nova grow for nutes. ppm has been about 400-500. ph 5.6-5.9. they are in cubes on top of rockwool. i "dip" my plants in solution when it seems fit. i just "LEACHED" by pouring phed water over cubes hoping to clean whatever is hurting them out. maybe i am missing something. can anyone help? 2 plants are almost 4 weeks old and topped, the others are not topped and are almost 3 weeks old.

journal 128.jpg

journal 129.jpg

journal 130.jpg

journal 131.jpg

journal 132.jpg

UKgirl420 said:
if its not nute burn maybe a k or mag defincency ,,,:peace:
thanks uk, k is potash right? and when you say deficiency, you meen it lacks it or there is too much? whatever it is i need suggestions on what to do to fix it. anythong.

i calibrated my pens, so i think it might be over watering and something else, maybe a few things.

You my friend are overwatering,I may be wrong but if you could take some pics of the roots I could give you a positive answer,by dipping your girls you create a slight vacumn that starves your roots of oxygen so badly needed,are your roots in your res.?what are the temps in your res.,your plants appear to be waterlogged,nova nutes are great and it takes a heavy dose to burn,even in hydro,I say let them dry to a close wilt and feed from the top thru the plants roots,don't give up,there are great growers on this site,we will get you back on track

i think you need either mag or cal or possibly both treat for one if not that go to other

420grower said:
You my friend are overwatering,I may be wrong but if you could take some pics of the roots I could give you a positive answer,by dipping your girls you create a slight vacumn that starves your roots of oxygen so badly needed,are your roots in your res.?what are the temps in your res.,your plants appear to be waterlogged,nova nutes are great and it takes a heavy dose to burn,even in hydro,I say let them dry to a close wilt and feed from the top thru the plants roots,don't give up,there are great growers on this site,we will get you back on track
thanks 420. i will post pics of roots tonight. the plants are not in a res. they sit out in pots with holes in the bottom. inside the pot is hydrton that the rockwool cube sits on. what really sucks is, since this is my first hydro, when my plants started showing probs, i kept changing and adding solution which has caused the overwatering, and im sure more problems. how come people with dwc, and ebb and flow can water their plants several times a day if not all day, and not be over watered? i am using hydro, should i treat my rockwool like soil and let dry out some before "dipping" in solution? should i use nutes everytime, or maybe every other like i did with soil. it seems like i will be ok, but i know where hermies come from. thanks for the glimpse of hope.:) roots look skinny and yellowish.

journal 133.jpg

420grower said:

Hold on man,its the EXACT affect of ebb-n-flo.Water log will cause root rot not dippin your plant.As you remove excess water is removed via gravity,as the water leaves the air enters.Like a vacume effect.

daily 002.JPG

dr pyro said:
i think you need either mag or cal or possibly both treat for one if not that go to other
thanks, how do you treat for that, never really came across this problem b4.

DirtySouth said:
Hold on man,its the EXACT affect of ebb-n-flo.Water log will cause root rot not dippin your plant.As you remove excess water is removed via gravity,as the water leaves the air enters.Like a vacume effect.
damn dirty i wish mine looked like that. i think im loving them too much with dipping them everyday. im doin something wrong fo sho.

Only he has no way of squeezing excess water from wool,which is key if you want to water w/ the intensity he wants to.By jumpin 150-200 ppm aday,eachday for a week,watering 1x a day(mostlikely still soggy from day b-4)

DirtySouth said:
Only he has no way of squeezing excess water from wool,which is key if you want to water w/ the intensity he wants to.By jumpin 150-200 ppm aday,eachday for a week,watering 1x a day(mostlikely still soggy from day b-4)
the way im thinkin is i need to water everyother if not every three days for now, but id i do that....as water evaporates, ppm, and ph probably rise.....so should i run around 300-400 ppm so it can increase during the "dry out" time?

You can puchase cal/mag if you want.Also you could add 150 ppm of tap to correct cal/mag def.If thats what your thinkin.

Hey Loola... ds...

How goes it?

Is it possible to 'over water' in hydro? Years ago I used a constant drip hydro system with hydroton buckets and a controller reservoir without over watering issues. I never did care for rockwool but I thought one of the best qualities about it is that you really can't over water it as any excess drains away and the rockwool is only capable of holding the right amount. That's why I always liked it for starting seedlings...

I think the theories about nute lock out from the salts they had built up is likely. Maybe go with plain water for a few days and then really low ppm with nutes until they look happy. A few days of water might be helpful to really let the plant tissue flush out any stored up nutes. Cal/Mag may help too but you probably won't see if the problems are corrected until you see new growth.

I hope things take a turn for the better soon. MJ is such a resilient plant and your roots are nice so hang in there...

Peace!:cool:

agreed 100%, only loolagigi was jumpin ppm's tooooo quick.I stay in wool my entire veg and have noticed WAY HEALTHIER roots when I kinda "squeeze" the xcess fluid from the wool.This helps ensure roots are nice-n-fat-white.His nute to root ratio was advancing way to fast IMHO.
Then once in flower drop ppms like 300-400 ppms and w/ in the next few weeks following the flip is when I start to see mag. def?Only he's still veggin, I NEVER exp. this so early on in growth
His are droopy(old growth,new looks perky,also a healthier lookin green IMHO)which is from excessive water round the roots,kinda starvin them of air,or so I believe.What do you think,dirtyolsouth?I warned from the start about nute burn and only advancing 100 ppm's every 4-6 days,esp. since this is unknow "bagseed"

Being in wool for a bit its my belief that soggy rockwool can/will cause complications. After more error in trial,lol it has been more effective to water by weight, in my case.

Yup ds...

I would think that since the cubes are in hydroton pebbles that they should be draining very well. I think most users of rockwool cycle their feeding and saturate the rockwool and when the feed cycle is over and then it drains off any excess and over time the rockwool slowly dries. But to eliminate over watering from the possiblities maybe just hold off for a day and then water for one feed a day for a few days. They are relatively small so the rockwool shouldn't dry out too much in one day. When there are signs of new healthy growth start again with very low ppm nutes... 1/3 or 1/2 strength.

The good news is that it's not too late to stop over feeding! They're still kicking and only need to be flushed out and given a new lease on life... They should snap out of it soon Loola cuz with hydro things can get well when things are right almost as fast as they can go south when they're wrong...

Good Luck!:cool:

This is what I tell him, he thinks ist gonna fix what is already done,as he's new.I had him flush and cut in 1/2 as he was over 1000 ppm,which is not unheard of only he jumped at a high rate quickly.I hope hearing from others will reasure him.
To me, dirtyolsouth, it looks as his new topped growth is perkier with a healthier green hue to it.Light and cameras do minipulate much altho.I warned him when he started advancing quickly,and again when the leaves showed what I was worried about.Can't MAKE him, ya know.
He did flush for a couple waterings and dropped ppm to 490ish. I advised him to hold steady and watch New growth. Some talk bout def. has him worried I'm sure.

DirtySouth said:
This is what I tell him, he thinks ist gonna fix what is already done,as he's new.I had him flush and cut in 1/2 as he was over 1000 ppm,which is not unheard of only he jumped at a high rate quickly.I hope hearing from others will reasure him.
To me, dirtyolsouth, it looks as his new topped growth is perkier with a healthier green hue to it.Light and cameras do minipulate much altho.I warned him when he started advancing quickly,and again when the leaves showed what I was worried about.Can't MAKE him, ya know.
He did flush for a couple waterings and dropped ppm to 490ish. I advised him to hold steady and watch New growth. Some talk bout def. has him worried I'm sure.

It maybe better at this point to go with a paint by the #'s approach than a wait til you see burn method. I know when I was new to all this that's what I needed as I didn't have a feel for intuitively knowing what to do. These are seedlings, right? They won't have the vitality a clone would of that size and should be fed much less Loola. I think if you start with water once a day for a few days and then back WAY off on the nutes when you do resume feeding they should take off soon. Keep the ppms low for a while and see how little you can feed them and keep them happy instead of how much you can push them as that's not working right now. I'm growing organic in soil but for reference my max tds last bloom was 1000ppm with 40" plants with large canopies and I still had some nute burn issues. When I grew hydroponically I did push 1400-1600 at peak feeds during week 4 but with clones I would out at 200 ppm for at least a week and s-l-o-w-l-y increased it from there. I'd use the FloraNova feed schedule as a starting point when you're dealing with clones but go easier with seedlings and see what happens. It just might amaze you!

Once you start to get more of a feel then play with nute strength and pushing them but it's better to be patient at this point as it's very easy to kill them with kindness!

We're all pulling for your plants... chin UP!:rolleyes:

Peace!:cool:

DirtySouth said:
thanks everyone for there responses....right now i am giving just phed water, and letting them dry out in between. when they need thier next watering i will feed with only 350 ppm. dirty, the most i have fed them was 600, not 1000. i have braught that numberdown since signs of burn. i see newer green growth on top, but still not the look i am going for. tonight i wont touch them. tomm, if they feel light by weight, i will go with 350 ppm.

Latest posts

Back