Sopappy's grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temp directly controls how much oxygen water will absorb, the lower the temp the higher the O2 content, it's great you got good bubbles, but the temp has to go down so there is more room for the oxygen. Work with what you have pappy, just hang in there, like I said before your gonna get it :)

Temp directly controls how much oxygen water will absorb, the lower the temp the higher the O2 content, it's great you got good bubbles, but the temp has to go down so there is more room for the oxygen. Work with what you have pappy, just hang in there, like I said before your gonna get it :)

For the love of Pete!
'more "room" for the oxygen?????
So I give them all this oxygen but they can't absorb it all if temps are off.
JEZUS KEERIST! sounds like pH and nutes!!!
cart, horse, horse, cart, how the phuk do you guys grow anything?
I'm a digital, on/off kinda guy, this analogue relationship stuff is going to kill me.
okay, okay, I'll work on the temps!
THG, can I use that wort chiller?

:hairpull:

Kraven! Our first fight!
65 - 68 for res temp?
I say that's too cool for roots... I shoot for 68 - 72
Is there a difference between soil and water for root temps?
Don't tell me 68 - 72 is for dirt and 65 - 68 is for water???

My res stays between 65° - 75° when I did DWC. In the winter, they get as low as 55°... bit cold but not bad for hydro. Too cold for soilless... ODD huh? lol.

My nutes label sez NOT to store the product (in a plastic jug) on concrete floors. Anybody know what that's all about?
Does that mean I shouldn't have my buckets directly on concrete as well?

I think concrete reacts with metals or something silly.. same idea of "don't place a battery on a concrete floor". I would buy some ridged styrofoam insulation to cut and put under your buckets :aok:

numbers this morning
5.8 / 330 for the 2 bigger ones
5.8 / 290 for the 2 smaller ones
I added pH'd 5.7 water last night but these ppms are still high compared to your suggestions.
Should I mix up a fresh batch for both?

...I say those number are phenomenal. No issue there. What nutrient are you using? (sorry if you've said) If you're in 5 gal DWC, you want to go 7 days and change out.. that's your goal at least. (I loathe 5 gal DWC... too little solution)

About that oxygen and high temps....
look at the bubbles here, do I really have to worry about oxygen?

If you keep within temps (60° lowest to 78° HIGHEST.. 75° IMO) then you should be just fine with oxygen. Very nice bubbles Sopappy! :D

For the love of Pete!
'more "room" for the oxygen?????
So I give them all this oxygen but they can't absorb it all if temps are off.
JEZUS KEERIST! sounds like pH and nutes!!!
cart, horse, horse, cart, how the phuk do you guys grow anything?
I'm a digital, on/off kinda guy, this analogue relationship stuff is going to kill me.
okay, okay, I'll work on the temps!
THG, can I use that wort chiller?

:hairpull:

Annnnnd there's the slight frustration. Sorry to say, it's refreshing to see SOMEONE else with it for once HAH. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. You know, if you ever have questions feel free to PM me. I get lost with how many things I've replied to and what I follow...

Temps: 60° - 78(5)°
PH: 5.7 - 6.3 .. you want to float low to high. If you float high to low, you're over fed, low to high TOO fast and you're under fed. That's a general rule of thumb, unless other factors are adjusting your PH.

^ Keep those things in check.and you're good. Also, having super strong roots before going into hydroton is ALSO a must in my humble opinion.

My res stays between 65° - 75° when I did DWC. In the winter, they get as low as 55°... bit cold but not bad for hydro. Too cold for soilless... ODD huh? lol.

I think concrete reacts with metals or something silly.. same idea of "don't place a battery on a concrete floor". I would buy some ridged styrofoam insulation to cut and put under your buckets :aok:

>>> phuuuuuuuuuuk, ya, I wrapped rigid foam in panda paper and was happy doing that over winter but my res temps are too high now (spring/summer) so I removed them in desperation and it worked, temps are about 2 degrees lower sitting on the cold slab. But I hear ya, I'll put the foam piece back when i get the wort chiller
dammit, where's THG? :)
(under a kitchen sink somewhere swearing no doubt)
If I use the wort chiller, I can put the foam back.

...I say those number are phenomenal.

>>>whaaaaaaa? Not for the two bigger plants, one has roots that look awful and the other has no roots at all, check pictures here somewheres.
But the two younger ones are looking very good but I'm still doing a res change on both, I'm still struggling with this pH / ppm thing. I just don't understand how you can give too much ppm, I mean, who cares, stick a full plate of spaghetti in front of me and I'd just eat my fill and leave the rest, why does MJ struggle with that?

No issue there. What nutrient are you using? (sorry if you've said)

>>> Growing Edge Technologies
http://www.growingedgetechnologies.ca/

If you're in 5 gal DWC, you want to go 7 days and change out.. that's your goal at least. (I loathe 5 gal DWC... too little solution)

>>> I have a two bucket w/res and a three bucket with res
(Sorry about the litres thing, a litre is about a quart)
3 bucket uses about 45 L, 2 bucket about 30L

If you keep within temps (60° lowest to 78° HIGHEST.. 75° IMO) then you should be just fine with oxygen. Very nice bubbles Sopappy! :D

>>> those are air domes from the aeropot systems. They use perforated tubing instead of stones. You must silicone connections though or they suck)
Kraven showed me which motor to use, noisy bastid but works well and powers 5 buckets EASILY

Annnnnd there's the slight frustration. Sorry to say, it's refreshing to see SOMEONE else with it for once HAH. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.

>>> I have NO problem being laughed at or with, just as long as you're laughing :)

You know, if you ever have questions feel free to PM me. I get lost with how many things I've replied to and what I follow...

>>> I don't want to be a pest here. I appreciate your comments and hope you stop by to keep an eye on me but I'm reluctant to pester folks with pms

>>> I make a distinction betwixt above ground and below ground and I've already mixed it up with Kraven.... his numbers are lower for roots
I sez.... ambient 18 - 24 C
roots 20 - 22 C

oh ****, amuricans hahaha ambiant 65 - 75 F
roots 68 - 72 F

PH: 5.7 - 6.3 .. you want to float low to high. If you float high to low, you're over fed, low to high TOO fast and you're under fed. That's a general rule of thumb, unless other factors are adjusting your PH.

>>> I gotta make a cheat sheet, damn, that is hard to keep straight

^ Keep those things in check.and you're good. Also, having super strong roots before going into hydroton is ALSO a must in my humble opinion.

>>> do ya think I should give up on the two older ones? one has ugly roots and the other no roots at all

see >>> above for my responses
thanks for sharing, Doc, much appreciated
(man, I love this place:)

whaaaaaaa? Not for the two bigger plants, one has roots that look awful and the other has no roots at all, check pictures here somewheres.

Your PH and PPM's seemed great for the size of the plant... I dunno. What do I know right? :) :rofl:

Growing Edge Technologies

Erm, what? Never heard of em... I would get a nutrient that's tried and true. There's quite a few decent ones.

This is ROOT zone temps. Ambient I like to keep between 65° - 85° and RH around 35% - 55% :aok:

>>> I gotta make a cheat sheet, damn, that is hard to keep straight

Get to it! And fricken PM me ... have you PM'd THG? I imagine she won't just randomly show up, if her schedule is anything like mine. ;) PM's are pestering when you require an answer and need someone with proper knowledge. It's not like you're being an arsehole. Or an ASKHOLE!! One who asks and doesn't take the advice lol.

Give up? That's up to you. I would love to see you start with some adjustments that I suggest, but that's also purely up to you. I was helping Schoolboy along and I think he was doing pretty good :)

So hey, as for the food comment you made. That's generally a good idea for HPS, as in the past I ran super high PPM's and it wasn't too bad, but either way you DO have to ramp up from smaller amounts to more. You can burn the little roots and smaller plants with toxic high amounts of food.

Ok, you're LED then yes? I think I see the light and stuff... ok.. let me drill that into my brain. Alright I just read back a couple pages but I skimmed. Ok, LED's actually FEED a plant... you need to keep this in mind. LED's also majorly affect the way a plant eats!! I learned this the hard way recently, so if I can spare you, so be it! Let's put it this way. My end flowering PPM's are now 550 - 800 NEVER over that! The plants can't handle it with LED's.. strains I've run many times, at 1250 - 1400 PPM's easy, can't stand it over around 600 - 700 or so. It's hilarious, but I learned the hard way.

The direction your res ramps and the PPM's will always tell the tale. You're going to learn, definitely. :)

If you start again, I'll walk you through it if you'd like.. it's up to you really. :) I'm here either way.

Pappy it looks like Doc is here, no need for me to come back, he has the hydro experience. GL and green mojo.

Sopappy, you are a kick in the patoot. I don't do water, i am a dirt farmer, but i wanted to step in and say hi and glad you are here.

Pappy it looks like Doc is here, no need for me to come back, he has the hydro experience. GL and green mojo.

No way, man. You stick around or I'm filing a complaint! :)
But yes indeed, I was hoping that Fang lad would come back...
He's using LEDs and also insists PM is okay if not abused so I'll PM you if I really need to bug you.
Don't forget, I still have those girls in the flower room in soil!!!

I'll be PMing THG 'cause I want to use those wort chillers and she may have more to say about buckets on concrete too.... I think Fang is right re it being a metal thing but a 2nd opinion always helps.

I really don't expect anybody to help. It's nice when it happens but I'm just going to post my numbers and pictures and what I'm doing. Knowing this place, somebody will spot a dumb move and bail me out!

So, I know yer busy but check my numbers when they go by and jump in any time. I want to be dialed in, don't leave now :)

Sopappy, you are a kick in the patoot. I don't do water, i am a dirt farmer, but i wanted to step in and say hi and glad you are here.

Rose, I just noticed in another thread you are using LEDs. Don't go away :)
And I also have girls in soil in the flower chamber, also under a LED
Oh, and by the way.... I almost took a swig of Thrive myself and laughed out loud when I realised just how easily it could happen (and I thought you were depressed hahaha)

Do you prefer PMs or can I bug you here?
What's the closest you'd ever put a LED to the canopy?
Fang?

LED to the canopy is subjective. Not closer than 12 inches but preperably between 18 inches and 24 inches. Sorry I'm at work and can not add much yet

Ok, you're LED then yes? I think I see the light and stuff... ok.. let me drill that into my brain. Alright I just read back a couple pages but I skimmed. Ok, LED's actually FEED a plant... you need to keep this in mind. LED's also majorly affect the way a plant eats!! I learned this the hard way recently, so if I can spare you, so be it! Let's put it this way. My end flowering PPM's are now 550 - 800 NEVER over that! The plants can't handle it with LED's.. strains I've run many times, at 1250 - 1400 PPM's easy, can't stand it over around 600 - 700 or so. It's hilarious, but I learned the hard way.

The direction your res ramps and the PPM's will always tell the tale. You're going to learn, definitely. :)

If you start again, I'll walk you through it if you'd like.. it's up to you really. :) I'm here either way.

I have two LEDs, one in flower, one in veg
actual draw... 320W and 175W
two bucket systems, each with a res..... one is 3 buckets and res, other is 2 buckets and res
WoW, 800 max ppm in flower ?!?! I'm glad you posted, thanks. And I read that LEDs feed in one of Jammer's posts too, sometimes I think it just takes 2 or 3 tries before it sinks in. :-(

I'm not giving up yet but may take you up on your offer, I take notes.
I'll PM my numbers if something wonky (or you'll see them here)
I have to master that ramp thing.

LED to the canopy is subjective. Not closer than 12 inches but preperably between 18 inches and 24 inches. Sorry I'm at work and can not add much yet

Don't do that, it's not worth the risk.
I'm always pleasantly surprised when I get help, don't feel obligated!

Yeah, and 800 is the HIGH side my friend. 550-600 was what I did for my last run, and I'm working on "pushing the envelope" so that I can see where my threshold is. Currently, I'm doing 800 PPM's in my Ebb and Flo system. It's higher than I wanted, AND it's for stuff vegging, but it's working currently. I'll start doing water only add backs.. get the PPM's down, then throttle back as I go further into veg and prep for flowering. Not going to go much over 800 at flowering, so will ease back for a bit.

...annnnnd I rambled lol. :)

Also....Risk? Pff, I'm self employed HAH! :D I just saw a reply in here and wanted to say something, but couldn't say all what I wanted. So I'll reiterate on that a tad. It's GOOD to go by what the manufacturer of your light says for veg and flower distance. Generally, they are actually spot on. But, I've found, that the weaker lights (mine and through research) tend to allow you to get a bit closer with them. Whether it's good for the spectrum or not, I don't know. I know it's ALL about spectrum. There's a big distance for a special reason. With that said, I majorly ran out of head room in my last run and my stuff got to within' 10" from the light. 0 bleaching or burning, but definitely affected the plant different towards the tops where the spectrum wasn't "correct". They foxtailed at the top, but about 15" down they were fine.

Yeah, and 800 is the HIGH side my friend. 550-600 was what I did for my last run, and I'm working on "pushing the envelope" so that I can see where my threshold is. Currently, I'm doing 800 PPM's in my Ebb and Flo system. It's higher than I wanted, AND it's for stuff vegging, but it's working currently. I'll start doing water only add backs.. get the PPM's down, then throttle back as I go further into veg and prep for flowering. Not going to go much over 800 at flowering, so will ease back for a bit.

...annnnnd I rambled lol. :)

Also....Risk? Pff, I'm self employed HAH! :D I just saw a reply in here and wanted to say something, but couldn't say all what I wanted. So I'll reiterate on that a tad. It's GOOD to go by what the manufacturer of your light says for veg and flower distance. Generally, they are actually spot on. But, I've found, that the weaker lights (mine and through research) tend to allow you to get a bit closer with them. Whether it's good for the spectrum or not, I don't know. I know it's ALL about spectrum. There's a big distance for a special reason. With that said, I majorly ran out of head room in my last run and my stuff got to within' 10" from the light. 0 bleaching or burning, but definitely affected the plant different towards the tops where the spectrum wasn't "correct". They foxtailed at the top, but about 15" down they were fine.

Ramble on! I've read that ramp thing from 3 or 4 different posters and about 20 times and I get it a bit more each time. It's all very logical except the part about worrying about too high ppms....
why the heck does the plant care how big a plate of spaghetti you put in front of it? If I saw a big plate, I wouldn't NOT eat and start drinking instead. ??? why don't they just eat their fill and then have a drink.

I saw those foxtails on a plant from bag seed once and thought it was just a peculiar strain. I can't say why exactly but I find it ugly and repulsive but I could not tell you why. (a fascinating plant indeed)

Self-employed, haha, I should have deduced that. Me too. Makes it awfully tough to avoid the wake & bake when I have a paperwork day :)
I always regret wake & bakes, I drag my butt for the rest of the day, then again, I'm 60 years old, normal days ain't all that different hahaha

As usual, thanks for the comments!

why the heck does the plant care how big a plate of spaghetti you put in front of it?

Here's a better idea for now. Don't ask why, just know that it is so. You need to learn with an open mind. Still water, so that the ripples have a groove... a rhythm...

You see, I did the EXACT same thing. I call it the "Kitty Method". It's like a cat dish.. you put loads of food down, and it will eat when it wants. It will take some and leave it there etc. When I was doing HPS and Under Current Hydro this "theory" worked well enough... but even then it wasn't correct, I just didn't realize it. Well, with LED's, you REALLY have to adhere to some of these things!!! Half the PPM's or you get toxicity and your PH will friggin flip out! I learned this the hard way, and PJ was able to show me the "I told you so's" many times along the route. I figured "I've run these strains so much, I know them and will try under LED my way" There was 3 things he said, and the PPM's part was one of them. I messed up with ALL 3 and am trying to save you the headaches. One thing you already solved, you trimmed your under skirts up well.. so good there. Know that the PPM's can not go high! The LED's feed the plant Drill this into your brain, as I had to learn! They really do actively "feed" the plant, so your PPM's are half right off because of that.

To address that one more time quickly; They DO eat and drink at their will.. but you have to keep parameters right. Think of them as really fickle / jaded individuals. Very picky ladies. You treat em right, and they are going to rock your world! :D
Your PH will slowly rise from 5.8 - 6.3 (My numbers..some do 5.7 - 6.2 etc) over time .. hopefully over a longer period of time. If PH is going up slowly then you're riding the wave (ramping) properly. If, say, you've done a new res, and in 48 hours time it's dipping drastically from 5.8 down to 5.3 then your PPM's are too high (or at least this is what PJ mentioned and I've been following. Seems right) If they are going from 5.8 to 6.5 in 24-36 hours or so, then there's not enough food and they are eating massively. The faster the ramp up the more they are eating. If they dip down randomly, bump them up one day and see what happens. Any issues, dump your res and start over.

Yeah, I don't prefer Foxtailing either. But it doesn't bother me as much as it did in the first year.

Also, why avoid a wake and bake? Doctors told me I had ADHD when I was young and fed me ritalin until I was in high school... then, I learned about MJ and stopped myself from the man made med's. MJ allows me to work better, and zone in. It slows my processes down, but since my processes are SO far ahead in my mind, the slowing is very good for me! I'm 33 this month, so maybe this will change... but I believe it will not change much, as long as I pay attention to strain and trichome colors hah.

Here's a better idea for now.
>>> snipped and taped to my forehead

Also, why avoid a wake and bake?

>>> Man, I love it, it would start each day great !!!
BUT, 2 reasons
I have that great half hour and then the paranoia (I recently read that this comes from inadequate curing) and drag *** kicks in and it makes me sluggish all day
(Sativas are hard to come by, Indica everywhere, I hate the couch lock)

Doctors told me I had ADHD when I was young and fed me ritalin until I was in high school...

>>> that sounds like my son's story. I think it's teachers that can't handle boys, not the doctors or ADHD. I swear they make this stuff up. They used to call it "high-strung" in my day and let boys be boys. We used to play ball hockey at recesss for pete's sake, burned off the boy stuff. All the female teachers now, THAT is the problem!

then, I learned about MJ and stopped myself from the man made med's. MJ allows me to work better

>>> Just in time! Congrats! my son starts every day that way, no pills, and doesn't have my issues at all.

as long as I pay attention to strain and trichome colors hah.

>>>well, you lost me there but that's for another day, I'm busy drilling your post in to my head next couple o' days!
Excellent post, thank you for that!

>>> me up there

Latest posts

Back