Sopappy's grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes for hydro you want to run that range maybe even 5.6-6.3, the closer you get to flower they higher you go. In veg I run 5.5-5.9 then reset, in flower I run 5.9-6.3 then reset. They don't need as much N in flower. But plenty of P & K. Soil I run 6.3.-6.7 in veg and flower I run more like 6.5-6.9.

hahaha, biological clocks... flower is on 7 - 7 schedule, lights out 7am, I left the door open last night and woke up this morning at 6:55, scooted downstairs and closed the door just as the light went out.
And I see a sprout! no helmet but puny, puny, puny, what a struggle this is. I can't believe ALL of these seeds are bad but I'll be darned if I can see where I'm killing them.... seems consistent too: they come up and go in to suspended animation.

I tried a picture of the seedling but not able to get a decent focus. The one on the left came from a plug started in old soil. it had a helmet that cost her a leaf. They are both about 2 weeks old, I'm losing track, drop like flies.
They look okay now to me but growth sure is slow.
I haven't lifted the pot to check for roots yet, I've been expecting explosive growth to be the indicator :rofl:

View attachment 100_0776.jpg

Last edited:
Yea thats weird pappy. Seems they all are not very viable. may be old stock or just a lot of bad seeds. hope you get something going soon bro. green mojo.

2 out of 3 are up and no helmets (4 days, not bad). I won't use those wells in the rooters anymore. They seem healthy enough but sure look tiny. I put the plugs in the pellets but did NOT hook up the drip or reservoir. I'm still waiting (two weeks) for the roots to show on the original two (pictured) pots so I figure I'll just hand water the two new ones until roots show below the net pot.

I guess i should have been checking. I just lifted one this morning and one of them had a root about two feet long !!! the other? nothin' (drives me nuts)
So I set up the bubblers, added some nutes and hoping for some action.

Last edited:
The one with the long tap root should take off...this is where you have to keep your ppm and ph in tight check, it's go time pappy...gl man and green mojo.

The one with the long tap root should take off...this is where you have to keep your ppm and ph in tight check, it's go time pappy...gl man and green mojo.

I have 4 seedlings in 4 buckets now, all crammed under that small LED. The other LED is busy in the flower. TWO OF THAT BUNCH WERE MALES!!! After all that stress, I feel I was lucky only 2.

I have to find my p.jammer notes on the feeding thing. I was not expecting to see a root this morning, I'm scrambling now hahaha

my ppms were way high 1500... I diluted to about 500 and ph at 5.6

here are the two males I DIDN'T NOTICE until this morning !!! All were femmed so it was at the back of my mind and I just thought it was a funny looking bud forming hahaha, they really did not look like males at all in veg, no balls at all!

Another picture of the gang who couldn't grow straight... I didn't think they'd grow,now I'm out of light! I need that LED

and here's the 4 in buckets, that rooter is for the 5th bucket,
oh, upside down, they are easier so nessle in the pellets, the wider base holds them down.

View attachment motly crew.JPG

View attachment two bastards.JPG

View attachment the bucket brigade.JPG

Yes for hydro you want to run that range maybe even 5.6-6.3, the closer you get to flower they higher you go. In veg I run 5.5-5.9 then reset, in flower I run 5.9-6.3 then reset. They don't need as much N in flower. But plenty of P & K. Soil I run 6.3.-6.7 in veg and flower I run more like 6.5-6.9.

What do you mean by reset?

The res, you want to feed and I'm going to use imaginary numbers to help you understand. So on res change day, you fill the res back with new nutes @ 1000ppm w/ ph of 5.6 as time goes by the plant is going to drink and eat. you want to only add back water between res changes. so day 1 ppm 975 and ph 5.7 then the next day its ppm 925 and ph 6.0, you need to add back a gallon of 5.7 to get the ph back to 5.8. the idea is to feed once a week and add back ph water the rest, keeping the ppms going down and the ph going up. if it's not following this ramp then the ppm is either too low, thae plant wants more food or the ppm is too high the plant is just drinking.

Thanks for spelling that out like that, you summed it up perfectly. (No wonder your girls are so happy) I can see why they'd be hungry for more nutes but I'm not seeing why they stop eating and just drink if there's too much food available. I wish I'd payed more attention in science class. Years ago, my son told me you could hear a pin drop in those classes.

Hopefully it made sense. if the ppms are to high the ph will go down (more salts as water is being taken but not nutes) and the ppms will go up (more salts less water) if the ppm are too low your ph will be all over the place. you will know the sweet spot when your ph stabilizes and the ramp happens. Thats what you hear about when we talk about the plants telling us what they need. once you understand how ph and ppms are tied together and you learn how to read them you can fix problems instantly in hydro before much damage is done. You will get the hang of it pappy, just keep at it.

TOR just told me NOT to re-size my screen, I could be tracked. Anybody seen that? I max windows all the time, doesn't everybody? it defeats TOR apparently. I'm having a heck of a time NOT doing it.
NO CHANGE in pH or ppm 36 hours later.

holy crap, I have to think about a chiller already?
res is 22.8 today, room about 24, I threw a huge plastic wrapped ice cube in the res but strikes me as mickey mouse but a chiller, I hope the ice cube works :-(

Ph droping and ppm creeping up, today 1180 from 1130, 5.6 from 5.7
So, if I'm getting this, the seedlings are drinking but not eating, ppm is too high.
So, I added 8 litres (which surprised me) of pH 6.0 city water
and result is pH of 5.9 and ppms down to 800

Ice cube in plastic brought res down 2 degrees C overnight.
Now at 20 C and removed to re-freeze the "cubes"
I'll add them again at 22

But of course with this farming ****, nothing is ever the same two damn days in a row!
Same cubes, same temps, same time, 23 this morning. It worked the first night but not the 2nd BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm not cut out for this.

Last edited:
Pappy it sorta strain specific but 1180 is super high for seedlings, here is my general rule of thumb, but the plant gets the final say:

seedlings 50-150ppm
young veg 150-250ppm
full veg 250-800ppm depending on the plants needs.
flower 600-800ppm depending on the plants needs.

Thats a rough outline pappy, but is sort of a place to start ...1180 is just way too high.

I drained it. I skipped the nutes as just using 1/4 strength Thrive was 110ppm. So this new mix is at 5.5 and 110 ppm.

One drop of super thrive made a gallon of waters ppm change 110, wow. I only use super thrive in my seed starter mix when I soak my rapid rooters. Are the plants healthy and not in shock ? If so it's not needed by the plant.

Sounds like the ppm is much better, you need to watch your plant and your numbers so it will tell you what to do. your gonna get this pappy :)

One drop of super thrive made a gallon of waters ppm change 110, wow. I only use super thrive in my seed starter mix when I soak my rapid rooters. Are the plants healthy and not in shock ? If so it's not needed by the plant.

I don't think it's the same stuff:
"Power Thrive is not a plant food; it is a carefully formulated blend of vitamin and natural plant hormones for use during all phases of plant development. Power Thrive helps your plants survive during stressful periods of growth, especially when starting seeds, transplanting, or taking cuttings. Power Thrive also ensures stronger, more vigorous vegetative growth"

Label called for 4ml per L, I gave 1mL per L
or 30 ml for the two buckets.
I could have used weak nute solution but I've got a jug of this stuff.

I don't think they're in shock but your grows always look like fast motion to me :)

Lol in hydro yes they seem to just zoom along, my organic grow is going a bit slower, but I'm enjoying the lazy pace it has set. Yea it sounds like it's not the same stuff I'm thinking of, just keep plugging along pappy, your here among friends and peeps who have been just where you are. I'm looking forward to seeing the girls in flower. Good luck and green mojo pappy :)

Latest posts

Back