starting plants in dixie cups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttotheh

Reaction score
i took a 4oz spongebob dixie cup filled it with my soil and put my germed seed in it but i think i may have packed the soil to tight beacause when i put water in it it just sat on top of the soil n took forever to sink in any suggestions????

the soil should be loose, you did pack it too tight. Remember to punch a hole in the bottom for water to drain. I never pack the soil, just fill the cup to the brim, water it down so that the soil settles deeper in the cup, and then top it off with a little more soil if you want.

so what do i do the seeds already in there

erm losen the soil gently on top ,,you could try squeezing the sides to gently break it up ,,:peace: apart from that dig the seed out and repott ,,:48:

thanks i took the seed out nd loosened the soil everythings good now

Dude I never use less than a 16 oz cup the plastic kind I punch several holes in the bottom fill the soil all the way to the top water it in the soil will settle then I use my finger punch a hole about 1/2 inch deep drop in the seed and lightly fill in the hole. Planting in a 4 oz cup will require a very quick transplant.:)

SpongeBob is my favorite :). Mix some perlite into the soil next time and use (bigger) solo cups.

I accidentally stumbled upon the "Peat Pellet" starters at wallyworld a couple weeks ago, had never used them before. I started some seed and they worked wonderfully well, with a 100% germination. I left them sit under a 23w CFL for about 5 days, and when roots started showing thru the bottom of the peat, I just buried the whole thing in my 5-gallon bucket. No transplating, no stress to the plant, seemed like a wonderful thing to me. My question is, hardly any of the experts mentions using them on this forum. How Come? Am I missing something?

Latest posts

Back