The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be old ,but so am I
Good Morning cloudy
1686571271826.png

Was it a heavy Barrel ?
Back in the 50's essentially all cops carried the .38 Police revolver. What Ed's carry piece was for barrel length is lost in the mists of Time. Clearly, it wasn't a Buntline Special, and I never actually saw a snubbie until I was 18.

My guess is it was the 5". Being a cop in Rockville Center in 1950 was the dullest occupation possible. Nobody used their service pieces like today. They just fargin wore them. So weight made the 5" the most popular.

I gave my sister one, and Scooter one. I am of the opinion they both lost them. :(

I shot my dads Police revolver at 7 yrs old , was a dead eye, cans flew everywhere.
People came from miles around to witness such greatness. I even earned a brief story in the local press.
The first time Dad bought me ten clays at the Sportsman Club trap range, I busted the first five, so he stopped and brought his buddies out of the clubhouse to watch, at which time I busted the next two out of five.

Back in the 50's essentially all cops carried the .38 Police revolver. What Ed's carry piece was for barrel length is lost in the mists of Time. Clearly, it wasn't a Buntline Special, and I never actually saw a snubbie until I was 18.

My guess is it was the 5". Being a cop in Rockville Center in 1950 was the dullest occupation possible. Nobody used their service pieces like today. They just fargin wore them. So weight made the 5" the most popular.

I gave my sister one, and Scooter one. I am of the opinion they both lost them. :(
My Dad was a Police Officer back in the 50's he carried a full-length pencil barrel 38 special
Smith and Wesson 6 shot, this was the 1st gun I ever shot at 7yrs old.
I killed a mallard duck 1st time shooting it from 30 yds
1686575178570.png

I never knew the 5 shots revolvers were even invented back then.

I never shot trap. Learned with quail. Long time ago. I probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn today.
I never liked clays , they trained you to shoot in a sweeping pattern from left to right.
Most Quail I hunted took off straight in front of me, bastards would wait until I was right on top of them and scare me a bit LOL

I never liked clays , they trained you to shoot in a sweeping pattern from left to right.
Most Quail I hunted took off straight in front of me, bastards would wait until I was right on top of them and scare me a bit LOL
Yup, quail are fairly easy to hit.....doves are a challenge. Practicing with clay would help a lot with a dove.

In those days in Rockville Center big crimes was mostly people not putting their garbage cans back in less than 10 minutes of pick up. Still not much happens there and it is still a money area in spite of the Diocese of Rockville Center is bankrupt due to lawsuits over sexual abuse...

We hunted Bob White Quail and Mourning Doves, as well as ducks and geese. I was hunting them with a 12 ga single long before I got to shoot trap. We have Mountain Quail here, and like the Bob Whites they explode at your feet, startling you if not soiling your drawers.

Wake your lazies up, it's moan=day. Gotta get the ball rolling. I'm finally coming around to thinking a knee replacement is in order. Got up this morn to it kick'n my ass. Arthritis has ate it up, and now pops every step I take. Can't stand still cause it will lock then grind with multiple pops that sometimes hurt more then this ol fat boy can handle. Hope all are well this morn and all have a great day.

Same with pheasants. I never used a dog. I'd walk the fence rows where other people's dogs had chased 'em and had to damn near step on 'em before they'd flush. Never failed to get my limit.

My last time hunting birds was many years ago. I'd walked the northern fence row of a huge field and didn't rout any birds. As I was walking down the south side, a brand spanking new 4x4 Ford truck pulled up. Three dudes with stack barreled shotguns that were worth more than my truck bailed out looking like the cover of a LL Bean cover. Each had a beautiful Britney bird dog, which proceeded to work the open field.
I kicked up a rooster from the fence row, but it flew toward the guys, so I didn't risk taking the shot. They noticed the bird heading their way and all three dudes opened up. I hit the deck, touched off a round in the air, and proceeded to call them everything but a walking sleepy doll. I put the shotgun back in its case, hopped in the truck, and flipped 'em off while blowing a ton of dust off my back tires onto their beautiful outerwear. Never went back. A bird ain't worth losing my eyeballs over.

Latest posts

Back