The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a friend has this in his office……said there are no markings on it anywhere…

his dad found it in an old sod house out here on the high plains about 80 years ago

it is in pretty rough shape

View attachment 333672View attachment 333673View attachment 333674
I look at that gun and see History:

It was someone's brand-new, leading edge flintlock musket. Very possibly the person's most prized possession. It gathered game, and protected family for decades.

Was it used in the Revolution?

It did not come from anywhere west of the original 13 colonies, and very possibly from France.**

History dictates that the gun was a back number by the time it found its way to a sod hut: This is because it was not until after 1862 when the Homestead Act became law before the first "soddie" was constructed.

**Most long arms (flintlocks) in America came from France. Enough to break France's financial infrastructure and get the nobility offed.

Whatever be does do NOT clean it any further or attempt any restoration.
Could be a half million dollar rifle if it's legit.
Bless yore heart, dogster, but alas... not a chance of it being valuable other than a fun wall-hanger. Condition is everything. Lookit this one for reference. Note it is complete and in firing condition:
Philadelphia Flintlock 39
Philadelphia Flintlock 39" 54cal
GI#: 102367888
Philadelphia Flintlock 39" 54cal,brass inlay and patch box. GUN COLLECTIONS WANTED FOR CASH! We buy, sell, consign and trade new and used firearms. This is our 47th year in business. We ...Click for more info
Seller: First Stop Gun
Area Code: 605
$795.00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There IS a class of flintlocks where the numbers get crazy. But they are all famous maker, museum quality antiques.

Here's one from the listing just before the "common" antique shown above. It is one of only 5,000 made, and it is in perfect firing condition:
1689153124053.png

WAR of 1812 Antique U.S. R&C LEONARD Contract Model 1808 FLINTLOCK Musket WAR OF 1812 Dated; 1 of only 5,000 Made
GI#: 102369377
WAR of 1812 Antique U.S. R&C LEONARD Contract Model 1808 FLINTLOCK Musket WAR OF 1812 Dated; 1 of only 5,000 Made Here we present an antique R&C Leonard Contract Model 1808 Flintlo ...Click for more info
Seller: AncestryGunsLLC
Area Code: 314
$4,325.00

Last edited:
will do

i will be seeing him again this week , he is doing all the paperwork on selling a property of mine and I have to pick up a Earnest Money contract so I will take the close up photos then..

thanks
They need this to ID Maybe?
To identify guns, muzzle loaders, and small things, you need detailed close up photos or direct inspection. You typically need to find identification marks on locks, barrels or any of the parts of the firearm. What you have provided is like asking someone to identify their missing cat from a mile away without a scope.

Like the proverbial what Strain Strandiva is my Plant LOL.
Get me better shots of the flint lock trigger guard, stock and from top .
Aslo measurements of the gun, barrel, and lock.
I have a think tank that is into old flints

Bless yore heart, dogster, but alas... not a chance of it being valuable other than a fun wall-hanger. Condition is everything. Lookit this one for reference. Note it is complete and in firing condition:
Philadelphia Flintlock 39
Philadelphia Flintlock 39" 54cal
GI#: 102367888
Philadelphia Flintlock 39" 54cal,brass inlay and patch box. GUN COLLECTIONS WANTED FOR CASH! We buy, sell, consign and trade new and used firearms. This is our 47th year in business. We ...Click for more info
Seller: First Stop Gun
Area Code: 605
$795.00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There IS a class of flintlocks where the numbers get crazy. But they are all famous maker, museum quality antiques.

Here's one from the listing just before the "common" antique shown above. It is one of only 5,000 made, and it is in perfect firing condition:
View attachment 333715
WAR of 1812 Antique U.S. R&C LEONARD Contract Model 1808 FLINTLOCK Musket WAR OF 1812 Dated; 1 of only 5,000 Made
GI#: 102369377
WAR of 1812 Antique U.S. R&C LEONARD Contract Model 1808 FLINTLOCK Musket WAR OF 1812 Dated; 1 of only 5,000 Made Here we present an antique R&C Leonard Contract Model 1808 Flintlo ...Click for more info
Seller: AncestryGunsLLC
Area Code: 314
$4,325.00
If it's a actual firearm not a ornament and it's as old as it look you could list it on a couple muzzleloader forums and find out quick.
Those guys are CRAZY!

I was trying to get a direction on which way to go. these guys can tell if it is in fact a US gun or foreign made piece. Looks to be an early flint lock , But without makers mark or any ID stamps on barrel it will be hard due to the condition.

and that is what the old boy told me , he examined it and said he could find no markings anywhere….

I know zero about flintlocks and very little about firearms in general…

that is why I posted the photos , I know some of you Cats are real gun experts and I was looking for some help , plain and simple

i am glad that you chimed in and I appreciate your opinions on this old gun , same with Unca and I think dogster and Joe are pretty savy on guns and history

so yeah , I go over to his office on Friday to pick up a contract and I will take some close up photos and post them up on here this Friday….

in the meantime , I need to mow the lawn , install a kitchen sink Pex fittings , clean out a root cellar , weed eat 1/3 of an acre , feed some cats and chickens , load up the truck to take to the landfill , and go grocery shopping

off to the Salt Mines!

and that is what the old boy told me , he examined it and said he could find no markings anywhere….

I know zero about flintlocks and very little about firearms in general…

that is why I posted the photos , I know some of you Cats are real gun experts and I was looking for some help , plain and simple

i am glad that you chimed in and I appreciate your opinions on this old gun , same with Unca and I think dogster and Joe are pretty savy on guns and history

so yeah , I go over to his office on Friday to pick up a contract and I will take some close up photos and post them up on here this Friday….

in the meantime , I need to mow the lawn , install a kitchen sink Pex fittings , clean out a root cellar , weed eat 1/3 of an acre , feed some cats and chickens , load up the truck to take to the landfill , and go grocery shopping

off to the Salt Mines!
I’m tired already reading all that work to do…

I'm not as old as Walt.....I was issued a M16.
That wall hanger is a flintlock with at least a busted hammer, for sure busted lock (missing part).

Oh. And it ain't a rifle. The reason the barrel is nine feet long is becuz it is a smooth bore.

My bestiest swag outa-the- blue guess, lookin' at the stock. The wall hanger looks like this original, excellent condition .69 cal smoothbore:

1689179413557.png

Which sells for about $750 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1689179393350.png

Last edited:
Piper Cub. Awright... now we are going waayy back. My first attempt at learning to fly took place in 1959. In a J-3.

The plane had no fuel gauge. It had a coat hanger on a float. TINS. It had no radio; you tilted your wings back and forth to get a green hand-held light from the tower.

To start the sucker, you pumped the primer thingy until a tad of gas ran down the instrument panel... <-- TINS. You turned the magneto switch on and the guy outside spun the prop. When the guy spins the prop, you have your feet in the gouged-out wooden floor by the pedals (holding the brakes on).

The student sits in the back seat. Always. Forever. Even if he buys the fargin plane and flies solo. The J3 front seat is for Instructors. You can graduate to the front seat if you have your license and a passenger. Your passenger can go in the back. The fargin thing just will not fly with a single person sitting in the front. It's a center of gravity thing with a plane made of balsa wood and women's used stockings.

The door (hah!) is closed with a little barrel bolt that will vibrate out while you fly. No biggie.

My first flight was sorta... horrible. The instructor asked me how high up we were. I guessed a thousand feet. We were 300 feet up. Jeez. When we got up to 1000 feet, we did "the effects of unusual attitudes in flight" <-- I will always remember that.

As we were tootling along, the instructor stressed what was normal/level flight for a J3: "One inch of dirt over the nose, one foot of air under each wing."

Sounds simple, right? Yeah. Three feet of air under one wing, a foot of air over the nose... Stupid plane would NOT fly straight and level. Until the instructor took over.

We allowed the plane to fly tilted to one side. The plane was falling sideways in a horrible goosey manner. We did Dutch Rolls <-- If you do not know what they are, consider yourself blessed.

Then -- We. Did. A. Stall. My dinky little seat belt popped open. The side "door" was open. The stick (no steering wheel) was disconnected from anything.

Ooohh-KAY. Then we did some more Dutch Rolls. I suddenly had to call dinosaurs. I leaned out the nonexistent door and barfed downwind.

And now, Gentle Reader, we come to the physics of it all. A lovely vacuum forms behind your head when you stick it out of an airplane. Nature abhors a vacuum, so the grug comes back to give your face a totally even coat.

And I had to wash the airplane. I asked if any other students got sick.

His answer: "You took a lot longer than most, but -- every effing one."
Who did you study under, Orvil or Wilber?

Uncle Walt you seem like an Uncle every one would LOVE. Unfortunately I had an Uncle that I worked for many years. He was abusive to my Aunt and me. I worked many hours for him and the pay sucked. Ironically he was a pleasant person to all the customers but his family a piece of sh….t. Thank you Uncle Walt.

Latest posts

Back