The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like gold. I also like silver. I don't know if it is all that safe. Remember when you could not own gold?

I am still wondering why the US isn't on that train yet. I wonder if it is because they could go back to that couldn't they? They used to give 30 some odd bucks an ounce back then. I don't trust current gov as far as I could throw them. They figure why pay 2000 an ounce?

Could they force you to sell it to them at such a price? (30ish) they did once before....

Bubba
For those who purchase gold in the United States, there are a few federal laws to be aware of—specifically, regulations governing which gold purchases are required to be reported to the government. Keep reading for information on when you must report a gold purchase, brought to you by the experienced professionals from First National Bullion and Coin. San Diego collectors trust our extensive knowledge about every aspect of buying and selling precious metals.

Laws Concerning Gold Purchases​

Many people who buy precious metals are looking to avoid the current financial turmoil, which is to be commended. At the same time, some of the old laws concerning the ownership of gold bullion appear to still be in place. However, this doesn’t mean a person cannot buy gold. The fear that individuals would hoard gold (and crash the American economy, which at the time operated on the gold standard) was the idea behind the law of 1933, which outlawed private ownership of gold. That law was repealed in 1974, and it’s only relevant today with regard to certain instances of purchasing gold.

Criteria a Gold Purchase Must Meet​

The amount of gold being purchased, the way it’s purchased, the time frame it’s purchased within, and other legal points will determine reporting requirements for gold purchases. Please note this isn’t related to capital gains taxes, which are a different subject. The reporting laws for gold purchases are similar to the “Know Your Customer” law, popularly known as “KYC,” that banks are required to use to prevent money laundering.

When a Gold Purchase May Not Need to Be Reported​

If a person walks into a local gold coin shop and buys $12,000 worth of gold using a cashier’s check, this gold purchase wouldn’t be required to be reported. A cashier’s check over $10,000 isn’t considered cash, and paying with one is seen as different from paying with paper currency. As we can see, the legal definition of the word “cash” is important here.

When a Gold Purchase Must Be Reported​

In a different example, someone walks into a local gold coin shop and uses cash (paper currency) to pay for gold coins. The buyer pays $8,000 for the first purchase. Within three or four hours, the buyer returns to the same shop and pays $3,000 for more gold coins. This is a reportable event. The purchaser has met a reporting requirement, and a report (Form 8300) must be filed with the IRS.

Information the IRS Will Require​

When a gold purchase is required to be reported, the dealer will be the one to report it. Form 8300 requires information about the gold buyer, including name, social security number, address, and license number. If some of the form is left blank, the dealer is still required to send the form to the IRS.

For those who purchase gold in the United States, there are a few federal laws to be aware of—specifically, regulations governing which gold purchases are required to be reported to the government. Keep reading for information on when you must report a gold purchase, brought to you by the experienced professionals from First National Bullion and Coin. San Diego collectors trust our extensive knowledge about every aspect of buying and selling precious metals.

Laws Concerning Gold Purchases​

Many people who buy precious metals are looking to avoid the current financial turmoil, which is to be commended. At the same time, some of the old laws concerning the ownership of gold bullion appear to still be in place. However, this doesn’t mean a person cannot buy gold. The fear that individuals would hoard gold (and crash the American economy, which at the time operated on the gold standard) was the idea behind the law of 1933, which outlawed private ownership of gold. That law was repealed in 1974, and it’s only relevant today with regard to certain instances of purchasing gold.

Criteria a Gold Purchase Must Meet​

The amount of gold being purchased, the way it’s purchased, the time frame it’s purchased within, and other legal points will determine reporting requirements for gold purchases. Please note this isn’t related to capital gains taxes, which are a different subject. The reporting laws for gold purchases are similar to the “Know Your Customer” law, popularly known as “KYC,” that banks are required to use to prevent money laundering.

When a Gold Purchase May Not Need to Be Reported​

If a person walks into a local gold coin shop and buys $12,000 worth of gold using a cashier’s check, this gold purchase wouldn’t be required to be reported. A cashier’s check over $10,000 isn’t considered cash, and paying with one is seen as different from paying with paper currency. As we can see, the legal definition of the word “cash” is important here.

When a Gold Purchase Must Be Reported​

In a different example, someone walks into a local gold coin shop and uses cash (paper currency) to pay for gold coins. The buyer pays $8,000 for the first purchase. Within three or four hours, the buyer returns to the same shop and pays $3,000 for more gold coins. This is a reportable event. The purchaser has met a reporting requirement, and a report (Form 8300) must be filed with the IRS.

Information the IRS Will Require​

When a gold purchase is required to be reported, the dealer will be the one to report it. Form 8300 requires information about the gold buyer, including name, social security number, address, and license number. If some of the form is left blank, the dealer is still required to send the form to the IRS.
Wonder why they want that info. They (broker) has my name and address, nothing else. Buy it at gun shows.

Bubba

Force you to sell what? I don't have any gold or silver.

lost all mine in a boating accident…I was headed out to a small secret island off the British Columbia coast when I hit a submerged log and capsized my boat…

the seas was confused that day and the currents strong , plus we were in 248 foot deep waters

goodbye gold , goodbye silver , ancient relics that they are

lost all mine in a boating accident…I was headed out to a small secret island off the British Columbia coast when I hit a submerged log and capsized my boat…

the seas was confused that day and the currents strong , plus we were in 248 foot deep waters

goodbye gold , goodbye silver , ancient relics that they are
How do you sell gold after the market collapses and they regulate ownership? Asking for a friend.

How do you sell gold after the market collapses and they regulate ownership? Asking for a friend.

great question TOG

bootleggers will always exist….barter and trade fractional gold , like the Mexican gold pesos or French roosters or fractional Krugerrands , even American gold eagles come in 1/10 of an ounce increments…..easy to carry , accepted by majority of people who barter and trade

Not from a Gun Show, and never large amounts
I have US gold coins
Not as pure by far they have more collector value than gold value. Very expensive, good investment but as collector investment.

investment grade, required if used in 401k is required. Look over JM Bullion, one of many. They have lots of info there.
It's usually 99.9

Bubba

great question TOG

bootleggers will always exist….barter and trade fractional gold , like the Mexican gold pesos or French roosters or fractional Krugerrands , even American gold eagles come in 1/10 of an ounce increments…..easy to carry , accepted by majority of people who barter and trade
I see from one of my brokers, ounces that are scored to break off one gram pieces.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back