The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is similar to this one
1613573307670.png

Not whole house either , would need 15000 watt genny for that House is electric

Morning OFC. Woke up and the light in my veg tent was out. After playing with it I got it back on. This has happened before. Replaced bulb, ballast and hood.....still happening....must have a ghost living in my basement.

@Big, hope your roster is gonna be ok. I bet there are lots of critters having a rough time right now. I know you are doing everything you can to keep them as warm as you can.

Taking a much needed trip to the grow store today. Probably should do it soon as snow is moving in. Might even have to break out the snow blower this time. Been a while since there was been a measurable snow here.

How much do those house generators cost GW an Roster? I am thinking real hard about getting one.

Speaking of critters I need to feed the one's outside.

Morning OFC. Woke up and the light in my veg tent was out. After playing with it I got it back on. This has happened before. Replaced bulb, ballast and hood.....still happening....must have a ghost living in my basement.

@Big, hope your roster is gonna be ok. I bet there are lots of critters having a rough time right now. I know you are doing everything you can to keep them as warm as you can.

Taking a much needed trip to the grow store today. Probably should do it soon as snow is moving in. Might even have to break out the snow blower this time. Been a while since there was been a measurable snow here.

How much do those house generators cost GW an Roster? I am thinking real hard about getting one.

Speaking of critters I need to feed the one's outside.
Putes depends on what you want to spend and how much you want the system to do for you,
I have a standard gas powered generac 5500watt (average run watts) with surge up to 8500 (starting wattage) mine costs over $500 15 yrs ago
and I did the wiring so I paid another 200 dollars for just the switch box (transfer case) it comes prewired all set to hook up. (pretty easy if you know how to do wiring in a fuse panel. (keep your bends 90Degs LOL)
OK now Generac also has complete system (which are very nice ) my sister has one 24K and automatic run start feature (power goes out system starts automatically as soon as your home loses power. 24K runs approx 5 grand for just the unit, then you need a licensed sparky to install along with the needed transfer switch and other automatic components to do the operation. So figure *8 to 10 grand full install if you shop around. But you are never going outside to start a small one in the weather.
If you bought the parts 1st and had an electrician come hook it will likely be cheaper. doing it that way.

Thanks Roster. That is what I figured. Sounds expensive....unless you need one like what is happening in TX right now. Probably a better way to go than solar panels.
I bought it, connected it myself so price was not to bad
I have only tested it yearly for small runs (never needed) Had a few bad storms and said lets get a generator to be the only house to have power . Like Monster's on Maple street (old Twilight Zone episode .
After installing Never used it to run for power again LOL Power Outage Insurance ...............................

Ouch! Hard to be a pretty boy some times..... Is what's left savable or will it need trimming?

Another question for you. When he is posturing and displaying, does his eyebrows and the little feather below and behind his eye flare out like it does on some Corvids??

the roosters have been through this a few winters ago and the black part just falls off...the oldest rooster has a very small comb now...I keep an eye on it for infection , otherwise they are pretty tough

I’ve never paid that close attention to see if the little feather you speak of flares out...I’ll keep an eye out and next time he flirts with a hen I’ll see if I can spot it..

got a little melting today and warmer temps in forecast....

Gray I have a problem saying things after being shot, mind is all fooked up still
I was trying to say I DO HAVE A TRANSFER Swicth installed the way it should be. I was trying to say I have seen how others do it the improper way too.

Kool! I can relate to moments of befuddlement.

Thanks Roster. That is what I figured. Sounds expensive....unless you need one like what is happening in TX right now. Probably a better way to go than solar panels.

Ok, I will check out their website. Power loss is rare here. But we do get power surges and an occasional cut line. I know nothing about stuff like this. How much power will it provide. Whole house including my lights? Noise?

It of course depends on size and what its built for. For instance, a 10kW auxillary generator for occasional home use sells around $1K and a 10k Industrial genset sells for around $10k. 200 amp transfer switches sell for around $700 to $1500.

I forgot what I paid for mine but it was less than $1000 over 30 years ago, and I scored a 200 automatic transfer switch under $500 in a fire sale, but never hooked up the automatic part.

I did my own wiring, so install costs were minimal.

Noise is an issue. Mine is muffled, but when under load it is still over 75dB, so I have a scheme to replace the muffler with a long flex pipe with a large automobile muffler on it, but have never done so because I've yet to endure putting up with the noise.

the roosters have been through this a few winters ago and the black part just falls off...the oldest rooster has a very small comb now...I keep an eye on it for infection , otherwise they are pretty tough I’ve never paid that close attention to see if the little feather you speak of flares out...I’ll keep an eye out and next time he flirts with a hen I’ll see if I can spot it..

The cost of beauty.......................

They aint nothing but dinosaurs with feathers.

It is interesting that they are now finding that some of the dinosaurs had feathers. The little ones are all that survived.

Speaking of, I just finished The Mind of The Raven and Ravens in Winter, plus have a Kindle version of a study on crows reserved at the library. I'm guessing that some of the dinosaurs were damn smart too!

While you hear that phrase a lot, to me frog legs taste like frog legs, alligator like alligator, rattlesnake like rattlesnake, et al, and there is variation in the taste of chickens. Sort of like saying all red wines taste the same.

The eons of evolution of our sense of smell and taste gives me cause to ponder why it left me with a natural affinity for things that smell and taste fishy?

While you hear that phrase a lot, to me frog legs taste like frog legs, alligator like alligator, rattlesnake like rattlesnake, et al, and there is variation in the taste of chickens. Sort of like saying all red wines taste the same.

The eons of evolution of our sense of smell and taste gives me cause to ponder why it left me with a natural affinity for things that smell and taste fishy?
Reminds me of the old saying
No soap in hell can wash away that fishy smell
1613654974247.png

Latest posts

Back