The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CEC2F4E4-DC3F-4DA8-A64D-F22CE7B560C3.png
4F448A6E-9F9B-46F1-AA71-9061D4AAE056.png

howdy everybody. i'm still upright and talking $hit.pulled a lazy day yesterday, spent it with the wife as much as i could. today i managed to get stoned so far. now i need to get off my a$$ and mow the hay field i call a yard. hope everybody is having a great 4th.

Well, if GW says it I believe that there is a value to it. But my truck is still right outside. I just took it on a fishing trip. Put over 600 miles on her and much was 4wd. Didn't see one Hybrid or electric but I did see a lot of Stickers on trucks that started with a D. The sticker that is....get it.....I was around good people and loved it.
While electric cars may be "green" for the owner, they are anything but green. Have a look at the mess that's left where battery materials are mined and battery manufacturing takes place. I'd love to get off the grid and all, but I'm not kidding myself about what's good or not good for the environment and what isn't. That said, I'm all about saving money any way I can!

Yup, for now I am sticking to my internal combustion engine. If I decide to spend on another vehicle, it should be a truck/SUV type vehicle. It's all I can do to keep my phone charged up. "I can't come in today, my cars dead." Right-right.

bubba

While electric cars may be "green" for the owner, they are anything but green. Have a look at the mess that's left where battery materials are mined and battery manufacturing takes place. I'd love to get off the grid and all, but I'm not kidding myself about what's good or not good for the environment and what isn't. That said, I'm all about saving money any way I can!

Yeah, it is the green part for this owner that I'm shooting for, in addition to the convenience and savings.

For us, two cars is the key. Most of our driving is in the Metro area, so we put less than a thousand miles on the Jeep last year and served the bulk of our needs with the electric powered by wind and water. The Jeep made it possible by handling our hauling and as a second vehicle when schedules overlapped.

Sadly, it's pretty clear neither Lithium nor crude oil extraction and processing are salubrious to Mother Earth, and any comparison from an environmental standpoint, should be looked at for the life of the vehicle, including original build, maintenance parts, air quality, spills, and global warming.

Situations are different and it is also a good thing we do have different needs and tastes or us man childs would have killed each other off over the same woman eons ago. I've been a motor head my whole live and don't see internal combustion vehicles going away anytime soon, but it is pretty clear which direction the vehicle market is currently headed.

Yeah, it is the green part for this owner that I'm shooting for, in addition to the convenience and savings.

For us, two cars is the key. Most of our driving is in the Metro area, so we put less than a thousand miles on the Jeep last year and served the bulk of our needs with the electric powered by wind and water. The Jeep made it possible by handling our hauling and as a second vehicle when schedules overlapped.

Sadly, it's pretty clear neither Lithium nor crude oil extraction and processing are salubrious to Mother Earth, and any comparison from an environmental standpoint, should be looked at for the life of the vehicle, including original build, maintenance parts, air quality, spills, and global warming.

Situations are different and it is also a good thing we do have different needs and tastes or us man childs would have killed each other off over the same woman eons ago. I've been a motor head my whole live and don't see internal combustion vehicles going away anytime soon, but it is pretty clear which direction the vehicle market is currently headed.
The real downside is China controls the market on most materials needed to turn our world Green.
Now they just admitted to wanting to control the world.

The real downside is China controls the market on most materials needed to turn our world Green.
Now they just admitted to wanting to control the world.

No question China covets controlling world markets, but in the case of Lithium, Chile and Argentina have about 10 million tons reserves between themselves, and Australia has another 2.7 tons reserve, vis a vis China's 1 million tons reserve.

To control the market they would have to own the predominance of those other locations as well, or have pricing handshakes with them as oligopolies.

It looks like China is the worlds leading Lithium user for electric vehicles and user electronics at 7,500 tons in 2019. That should certainly allow them to throw their market weight around as they do on Wall Street.

Australia supplied about 53% of the world market and South America another 30%, with China supplying around 10% and Africa another 2%. Australia is hard rock mining and South America is brine reduction, limited due to water availability.

It looks like whoever owns the Australian mines has the current lead.

I suppose some day I will drive a battery powered car....if I live long enough. But for now anyway I will still drive my gas powered truck. I am gonna make it last as long as I can. Fits my lifestyle.

Wish I had a good feeling about where this old earth is going. But, I don't. IMO we are on and express elevator to
H E L L.

Good point of view, I guess we choose which way we pollute, 0r at least I do, based on what is my bottom line. It works in your case and needs and budget are covered. I guess having to keep a car charged is similar to having to keep the tank filled. I don't know what the charge time is, but I can fill an empty gas tank pretty quick. Getting caught short? I dont know....I've never owned an electric car so what happens if you "run out of gas" with an electric car? If it's like a Prius, with both electric and gas, no issue but with straight electric, is there a reserve supply for this or is tow required?

The other thing I wonder about with electric cars ( obviously this has been worked out ) is how much quicker they run out of juice with A/C or heat is used? Eventually, everything will be electric.

Bubba

I suppose some day I will drive a battery powered car....if I live long enough. But for now anyway I will still drive my gas powered truck. I am gonna make it last as long as I can. Fits my lifestyle.

Wish I had a good feeling about where this old earth is going. But, I don't. IMO we are on and express elevator to
H E L L.
The internal combustion engine can run on propane and so forth and be clean, probably how collector cars will exist in the future.
Alcohol? (straight) I dont know if that can be worked out for commuter cars, not an ideal fuel other than some race engines.

A lot of us steeped in the muscle car era love the thumping of a stoutly cammed internal combustion engine....

Bubba

No question China covets controlling world markets, but in the case of Lithium, Chile and Argentina have about 10 million tons reserves between themselves, and Australia has another 2.7 tons reserve, vis a vis China's 1 million tons reserve.

To control the market they would have to own the predominance of those other locations as well, or have pricing handshakes with them as oligopolies.
I fear South America may be the next hot spot to blow up. All that and Venezuela floats on an ocean of oil that may be larger than the one the middle east floats on.......

Bubba

H E L L.
If things go the way I've got a feeling they will, you might want to suggest the farrier trade to your grandkids.

Wish I had a good feeling about where this old earth is going. But, I don't. IMO we are on and express elevator to H E L L.

I'm not sure where this handbasket is headed, but it is sure making good time.

I don't know what the charge time is, but I can fill an empty gas tank pretty quick. Getting caught short? I dont know....I've never owned an electric car so what happens if you "run out of gas" with an electric car? If it's like a Prius, with both electric and gas, no issue but with straight electric, is there a reserve supply for this or is tow required?

The other thing I wonder about with electric cars ( obviously this has been worked out ) is how much quicker they run out of juice with A/C or heat is used? Eventually, everything will be electric. Bubba

Our 2013 Focus electric is not current state of the art, but is run by a computer. When you turn it on, it estimates how far you can drive it based on the condition of the battery, the temperature, and the record of how you have previously driven it. I verify mileage before I leave, if it looks close.

I've never run out, but I purposefully ran it low to see what would happen, and at 10% remaining charge it warns you, and as it continues to run down further it drops down to limp mode. I never ran it below that to see what would happen.

There are now mobile EV charging vans if you get stranded or you can get towed to one of the many charging stations starting to spring up. My friend joined an electrical coop that provided a link of available charging locations.

Tongue in cheek, you could tow the electric wheels down and recharge its battery. Even faster if you put it into low to increase the current to the fields.

The vehicle came with a 120VAC charger which ostensibly takes around 12 hours to charge with. I purchased and installed a 240 VAC 40A charger at home and it takes about 4 hours to fully charge.

I've never had an issue running my AC and my 2013 is probably not a good one to use for comparison. Clearly it would reduce the range.

The internal combustion engine can run on propane and so forth and be clean, probably how collector cars will exist in the future. Alcohol? (straight) I dont know if that can be worked out for commuter cars, not an ideal fuel other than some race engines. A lot of us steeped in the muscle car era love the thumping of a stoutly cammed internal combustion engine....

We ran a VW Thing at 7.5:1 on straight ethanol I remember that we determined the correct ethanol carburator jetting size by dividing the existing jet size by 0.49 to get the alcohol jet size. Contankerous cold starting, but it ran adequately after it got warmed up.

As you note open collector ultra high compression big block engines with heavy overlap and duration cams on mixed fuels at idle, is a music of its own.

I would like to see practical conversion kits to turn gas reciprocal engines into hydrogen powered ones, and a hydrogen supply infrastructure to support it. More water vapor in the atmosphere might cool things down some.

I fear South America may be the next hot spot to blow up. All that and Venezuela floats on an ocean of oil that may be larger than the one the middle east floats on.......

Bubba

You could be right. Certainly lots of corruption an unrest.

Bubba

im thinking India vs Pakistan , they hate each other and both countries are armed to the teeth with nukes

Kashmir being the hot spot igniter

im thinking India vs Pakistan , they hate each other and both countries are armed to the teeth with nukes

Kashmir being the hot spot igniter
That would be a hard one to root for. Terrorist exporters vs. Telemarketer scammers.

Latest posts

Back