There are no Stupid Weed Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in Florida because of the heat and humidity I would fill a 5 gallon bucket everyday with the ac condensation runoff outside the house. The house was new so the condensation was clean too.
Thats what I used in my DWCs. Worked great but I had to keep an eye on pH because it came out at like 4. 😁

Most of the hydro stuff I've read recommends replacing the solution periodically because it gets unbalanced as the plants consume the nutrients. If I knew what they were depleting, I could just add that back in instead of replacing the whole reservoir. Might even give me a better idea of what the ratio of nutrients should be.

I am starting to lean back toward soil, though. I still find hydro entertaining, but I can tell I will get tired of micromanaging things after a while. Soil just requires less attention.
If you really want to simplify things, I recommend SIPs and organic soil. Once you get you're soil dialed in, its easy street from there on. Just fill your res when it gets low with plain ol' water.

My question for the day... Has anyone had to go beyond 12/12 to get a strain to start to bud?
My Advanced Seeds Gorilla Blue has been in 12/12 for about a week (maybe 10 days) longer than my Blackberry Kush.
I am currently attributing that to my better lighting over my Kush - Photontek - VS my Vipraspectra Blurples over the Gorilla Blue in soil.

My question for the day... Has anyone had to go beyond 12/12 to get a strain to start to bud?
My Advanced Seeds Gorilla Blue has been in 12/12 for about a week (maybe 10 days) longer than my Blackberry Kush.
I am currently attributing that to my better lighting over my Kush - Photontek - VS my Vipraspectra Blurples over the Gorilla Blue in soil.
The guy that developed the cross between Black Vietnamese and Northern Lights said he had some that wouldn't pop 'til he'd cut back to eight. He also said that any that took more than twenty weeks to mature got tossed. By the time I'd gotten hold of the strain, it was claimed that twelve weeks would get you nice buds. Fourteen weeks was much better. Beautiful buds that slapped hard. I started 'em out on twelve hours and gradually cut back to ten.

How does calmag affect bud development?
https://whyfarmit.com/cal-mag-for-plants/Click on the link above and read the whole article. The below is just a little piece.
Cal-Mag is a liquid supplement that provides much-needed calcium, magnesium, and iron to both hydroponic and soil-based plants. The micronutrients in Cal-Mag are primary ingredients needed by all plants but especially by plants that bloom or produce fruits or vegetables

I have used 14 off and 10 on and I can't swear to it but it seemed to have caused my buds to swell more then 12 on and 12 off. Never did a side by side because I didn't have two of the same light systems nor the time and space. But I grew the same strain twice and the 14 off and 10 on did seem to give me bigger buds with more trichomes.

While I'm at it, I might as well get the RO water folks mad. I never could see taking out trace elements only to spend big money to put 'em back.
For me it's an easy decision. My tap is 250 if I run the cold a few minutes. That's to much, plus the filth in tap water is flat gross. If you smelled the remaining a in my water still you would never drink tap water again. I don't even feed it to my pets or plants.

Worse part is, ph of my tap water is way to high. Almost 8.
After RO, oh is a nice 6.4 and particle read is 0-1.

Previously I used distilled water, and it takes almost 3 hours to run a gallon. RO does it in a few minutes.

Bubba

Last edited:
If you really want to simplify things, I recommend SIPs and organic soil. Once you get you're soil dialed in, its easy street from there on. Just fill your res when it gets low with plain ol' water.

I think the simplest method for me has been the dutch bucket using perlite. There's literally no guess work, and no experience required. As long as the pump runs, you know the perlite is wet, and as long as the pump stops, you know the plants have O2. Even the timing is flexible. The reservoir contains a perfect measure of the entire system, both what goes into it as well as the run off. I've transferred plants that were dying in soil or DWC to my tomato dutch bucket, and they all recovered. When I wanted my tomatoes to start blooming early, I just added extra phosphorous and potassium to the reservoir and a few days later they were blooming (that also killed my recovering okra seedling... oops).

Definitely going to try SIPs this summer, though probably not with cannabis. I tried it using coco and perlite and made a mess of things. Going for straight soil next time. I started composting a few weeks ago, so trying to avoid adding nutrients to the water. Still have some learning to do, though. Giving NFT a go as well.

Hi All!

First post, first question, and a "breederly" one at that.

I am working my first line (Garlic Cookies/GMO [clone only] X Kashmir [Azad/POK]), and found what I was looking for in the first gen of beans. In other words, instead of working toward something with a 1/1 or dual line strategy, I am looking at trying to lock down a cut in seed form.

A series of back crosses in under way, C99 or Santa Maria style, that I hope along with good selections of male progeny will give me a reliable representation of her in seed form. We'll see...I know the success of the backcrossing technique is dependent of the genetic profile/stability of the mom, so it's only one stab at it.

That said, another obvious approach is to make S1's and go from there, but in this case there is something a little interesting going on. From seed, at around the 5-6th nodes, her stem faciated for a couple nodes, and then she split herself with perfect symmetry into two main stems. I'll note also that prior to the split, a third branch began appearing at intervals seemingly random in relation to the normal branch pairings. Pic is her from seed, probably a little over 6ft.

20211217_213522.jpg

So here is my question(s): Any idea what is going on genetically here? Some kind of mutation is at play, and my thinking is perhaps she is polyploid. If so, is it (A) possible that there are some genetic nuances between her two halves, and (B) might marrying her two halves instill broader genetic diversity to her offspring than in a typical S1 situation? A good breeding pair from a single plant would be an interesting find...I'd have to seek out some testers, should there be any interest 'round these parts in the long run.

She finishes in 6weeks light dep, produces the most resin-dense buds I have ever grown (I'm getting over .3 dry weight compared to wet), and is far and away the best smoke I have ever had.

Her name is Goldilocks.

20220322_130452.jpg

Thanks, everyone, and apologies for the long-windedness!

Latest posts

Back