Thinking Outside the Grow Box-Alternative Methods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hemp Goddess said:
Boneman--thanks. Actually this has been discussed here on MP. We KNOW from experiments done by Clarke that MJ can produce about 50% less on a 10/14 hour light schedule rather than a 12/12. The 12-1 light schedule just does not make sense to me. There is no scientific reason to believe that it is better and several reasons that it would be detrimental to bud growth. I have never seen a reliable method to speed up flowering--I just don't think there is one.

Thanks for clearing that up. It just goes to show you can't believe everything you read.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Boneman--thanks. Actually this has been discussed here on MP. We KNOW from experiments done by Clarke that MJ can produce about 50% less on a 10/14 hour light schedule rather than a 12/12. The 12-1 light schedule just does not make sense to me. There is no scientific reason to believe that it is better and several reasons that it would be detrimental to bud growth. I have never seen a reliable method to speed up flowering--I just don't think there is one.

This is just my opinion but I think the flowering is the most important stage of the growing process and to hurry it along is the wrong thing to do. I say that you give them the best that you can during flowering and let them do their thing in their own time and they will reward you with the best that they can give. :)

I have searched out and read every bit of information I can find on this topic. It has intrigued me for years . . . so now I'm finally trying it . . .

Air that is rich in negative ions supposedly has a positive effect on people, animals and plants . . . think of how exhilerated you feel while standing next to a lush waterfall, or a crashing surf, or right after a thunderstorm passes . . . that's negative ions in action - cuz these are examples of how mother nature produces them. Dust, mold spores and pollen can float in the air because they are positively charged . . . so in the presence of many negative ions, they should discharge (neutralize) and precipitate to the ground.

There have been a couple pretty extensive studies of the effects on plants. One is The Ion Effect by Fred Soyka, and another is a research paper by Dr. Albert P. Krueger. Both seemed to indicate that there is indeed some sort of benefit to plants when bathed in an atmosphere rich in negative ions. I dunno, maybe it somehow effects the anion-cation exchange at the root level during nutrient uptake, or maybe it stimulates respiration in some way ?? I really have no understanding of how it might benefit growth . . . and I don't think Soyka or Krueger did either . . . but I don't really care how it works, just if it works . . . and one study reported that the cucumbers grew 18" long !! :eek:

So anyway, I got me an EcoQuest Eagle 5000 industrial air purifier . . . sucker has a 565 cfm fan on it, and I'm blasting my grow room full of negative ions !! I have no idea if it's producing any benefit . . . or how I could tell that it was, if it was . . . but hell, I'm just trying everything I can think of to get me some big ol' freak donkey buds !! :joint:

(Oddly, I actually have noticed that I feel really good when I spend time in there:D, and the girls are doing really good, so maybe . . . . who knows)

Would be interested in any info anyone has about this, especially if anyone has ever tried this . . . :48:

if you have space you should run a control, two tents set up the same with clones etc. see what the difference is

A week ago I took some cuttings and put in my aerocloner and was thinking about what encourages cuttings to grow roots faster. If the 6500K light is great for vegetative growth (which it is!) then it would not be great for cloning as you want to "pause" the veg growth on cuttings and switch them over to rooting. I have a few 3000K T5 bulbs and 10 single bulb T5 4' fixtures so I wondered if the "flowering light would be better as I have used the veg bulbs in the past and it took some time for them to root.

I put these cuttings in under 1 single bulb 4'T5 3000K and in 1 week have roots on 2 different strains. Here's the pics and they are exactly 7 days from putting them in:

cloner7-27.JPG

cloner7-27a.JPG

cloner7-27b.JPG

cloner7-27c.JPG

cloner7-27d.JPG

My local grow store is trying to get me to use a new technology in my room called "the Biowave"
Basically, Biowave machines emit subsonic harmonic waves that resonate with plant frequencies and cause the Stomata to dilate.
They are saying that it replaces CO2. I Live in a HUGE Agriculture area and I have seen a few of these in Orchards and farms around here and there.
I have not seen this in any MJ grow...yet.
They want to "sponsor" me with this and give them feedback, but I am not sure I want to commit.

hXXp://www.biowaveindustries.com/

Ifin its free whats the problem bump yur head? Free? what yual got to loose but knowledge. Good luck what ever yual decide pilgrem ;)

BWD

I hear ya BWD, but I sure am a believer in "if it ain't broke...don't fix it".
It's taken me almost 2 years to get my rooms super dialed in, and I am not sure if I want to take any chance.

From what I have read so far on the product is that it basically takes place of CO2. I have been running CO2 in my rooms now for a couple of years, and it is going to be hard to beat the results.
The BIG plus side is if it does work, then no more filling up propane bottles.

The negative side is, it doesn't work as well as CO2 and I just lost a few lb's experimenting.

I seen that the other day NCH and remembered the Mythbusters did a show proving that Heavy Metal made the plants grow better, but did not know why. So maybe there is something to it, but after seeing the prices I figured a radio was cheaper.

I with you Hal on not monkeying around with something that you already have dialed in well. It would be different if you had some small grow producing a few oz. I would wait for someone else to try it out that has less to lose, Like me.

Latest posts

Back