Use of foul language on this site.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone can draw their own line...and most times it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Take the minimum wage increase for example. I could say that $5.15 an hour is definitely not enough. So let's raise it to $7.25. No wait, lets raise it to $20/hr. Ah, maybe $20 is a little too much. $19 then?

There a guidelines and rules that are set in stone to be followed. Not balancing on a line to see how we can stretch a rule. Give me a break people. Swearing isn't a law. It is about respecting others and yourselves.

This is by far my favorite forum on the web. I don't have to feel like I'm speaking with a bunch of uneducated fools. I truly believe this language filter "filters" out people like that... Stoney you are not Hitler, but the :cop:and the :chuck: of the forum. Even this place needs that.;)

Geez. This got weird fast. Comparing Stoney to the Gestapo is the most ignorant thing I hope I'll ever see in this forum.
Look, somebody owns and maintains a server 24/7 to run this site. You know at least one site like this has been shut down before, raided, servers taken. If the moderators that represent this person want to make a few rules they have the right. All this half-cocked talk about freedom of speech is ridiculous and way, way out of context.
If the "censorship" becomes ridiculous, whatever man, it's a free country, we move on. I know I've generated a good number of *'s, and I'm not exactly broken up about it, but all they're asking for is some consideration, to make a better space.

what is the big deal...its not like the man is telling you not to express youself...hes asking us to act like adults...i curse all the time, but if its bothering people than ill try and stop...the way i look at it, if everyone here is smart enough to build extravagant grow boxes, work hydro systems, and all that other stuff that goes with growing, than they are smart enough to communicate without having to curse

bearfootbob said:
all they're asking for is some consideration, to make a better space.

nicely said

who cares?? if the man doesnt want U to cuss on his site.. dont do it... simple as that.. if you go to your moms house and she doesnt want you to cuss in her house.. dont do it.. but you say "why not??? its legal to cuss in america" maby so.. and maby your mom smokes pot 2... whats ur point... she said dont do it... you dont do it... tha man doesnt want you to cuss on his site... respect that.. how hard is it to go without cussing... its not the end of tha world.. get over it =)

oh and im not sayn anybodys mom smokes pot lol.... well... mine does .. pretty cool actualy... k bye

Keep up the good work Stoney. All obscenities will be spoken only in my head.

northernlightssmokn said:
Are you realy going to enforce the "W.T.F.??????
Yes, I am. Here's the latest news for you. If not being able to talk like a child really, really bothers you, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out of the group. The door swings that way too. A quick look at the posts prior to this one will show you that almost everyone understood exactly what I meant. There are plenty of groups you can go act like a child on. Flaming, cussing, abuse...is that what you're into? If so, then understand that it will not be done here.

RESPECT

That's all it is.

Thank you to all of you that understood what I mean.

To those of you who feel "cheated" by not being able to insult people, go to one of the other marijuana sites and cuss all you want. It simply is not going to be tolerated here. This is a site for people who are mature enough to know the difference.

Sorry Stoney, but i´m going to have to agree with 55 and Mr.W. I understand the rule and happily follow it. You have corrected me before regarding my language and I have absolutely no problem with that. In fact I admire that this site has standards and moral guidelines that are followed and expected to be followed by the members. Also, I agree with you that it is about politeness and formality.

However on a site concerning the cultivation of marijuana I think that most people here understand that this is a casual place with people of a somewhat controverial topic. What i´m trying to say is that if I am in a discussion about the politics behind the legalization of marijuana then i can easily use more of an educated vocabulary to express my opinion in a very mature and polite way without using vulgarities to get my opinion and emotions across to the reader. However, if I am talking about getting busted or my dog eating my pot plant....well my language changes....due to the change in emotions.
Furthermore, I feel very comfortable here and feel that I can speak freely about a topic that normally is frowned upon in contemporary society therefore I speak as if I were speaking with my friends.....with the occasional vulgarity. Now, if i´m in a room with women...of course i´m not going to use language related to the parts of a woman´s body or talk about obscene things. But I think most women (including SmokinMom) use vulgarities and feel that they are appropriate in certain contexts.

Basically, everything is okay in moderation, excess kills. I wouldn´t like to see a post on here filled with obscene and unnecessary language, however i wouldn´t be bothered in the least by the occasional f-word (in the correct context).

This is my opinion and I completely respect yours. I truely enjoy this site and think it is a wonderful place for people to share ideas and maybe the borders and boudries that are in place create this atmosphere for the people that come here. But ***** ***** ******* *** sometimes I like to swear.

I thinks its more of a case of the forum being public for people of different spectrums to read. Of course that means people who swear all the time and people who hate it will read our posts.

The mods will always tell you that if you wanna swear, private message that person. If you swear in a public place in front of people you dont know you may as well be wiping feces over a public notice board... noone want that do they?

This forum as I see it has 2 simple rules...guidelines really, as I see it.

1) No profanity...every one of you has said that what is acceptable to you may not be to others...this is an international forum for the discussion of cannabis....none of you have the right to choose what is acceptable for all cultures....if you cannot make an attempt to be respectful, then don't let the door hit you in the butt. See how easy that was?

2) No discussion of cultivation for profit: You guys that are using the fact that MJ is illegal as a reason to cuss need to grow up. It has been proven to have medical benefits and in some cultures it is not illegal nor is it considered a drug. If it is illegal where you live, maybe you could try and change that. You could start by not treating it like an illegal substance, and treat it like the herb that it is.

I believe it's all been said, but....It is a simple matter of respect.
And is just "ONE" of the differences that make this board stand head and shoulders above the rest, IMHO.
Personally, I think it shows immaturity and a lack of communications skills, if one simply "can't" express their opinions or emotions without it.
This board has exploded with membership over the last few yrs. It has grown in leaps and bounds,...I lik to believe it is "because of the forum that it is"...not "in spite of what it is".
We have had a few ppl that simply refused to abide by our guidelines, that are no longer with us. Are they missed?...Not by me.
I don't believe anyone has ever been banned simply for their language, I doubt they ever will. Unless they truely make an effort.
Honestly, I have a filthy mouth. Among most of my associates/friends/coworkers, I "cuss like a muleskinner", but the second I walk into a restaraunt, store, or any other "public venue", where others are present, it STOPS.

Why?..because I respect the fact that others may not like it, may have children present, or they may actually be someones Mother/Grandmother, and be offended.
When I click on the MP link, I give the same respect. I like being priviledged to be a part of a "classy" site, rather than a slang ridden, curse fest.

This IS a "public" forum, but ..it is also "privately owned". Therefore, just as in a privately owned establishment, the "owner" has the right to set certain guidelines.
.."Ties and jackets required"...;)...means if you show up in dungarees and a sleevless T-shirt, you most likely aren't getting in. However, you can feel free to dine at McDonald or Captain D's in such atire.
There are thousands of those "fast food" type mj sites, you don't even need a map to find them. They're on every other corner.

..someone else said it first.."We are typing words here"...those censored, don't "just slip out"..
the ones that "I" find most annoying, are those of you that feel the need to circumvent the language filter. By useing other symbols or letters, or adding spaces, so that the filter doesn't catch them. IMHO..that is "going out of your way"...makeing an "extra" effort. Those, I'll just refuse to "EDIT", and will usually simply delete them. Afterall, if you insist on making "my" duties more difficult, why should I make an effort to accomodate you..?

My advice to anyone that wishes to change the way our forum is..."Don't"...
it seems to be working well just as it is, and has been for a few years now. Our site IS different than most other mj sites. Those differences are THE very thing that attracts and keeps many of our members..IMO.
I hope the site continues on in the same fashon for many years to come.

I don't *think* I've ever cussed on this site, nor am I offended by anyone who does, so this is really none of my business BUT I started the day with a wake-n-bake, so I'm chiming in ;) :

You guys who are opposed to the restrictions are looking at this all wrong. I get what you're saying about free speech and all, I'm a total advocate. But even free speech is limited...I am sure the mods would delete racist posts--because they can offend people.

So look at it this way: MJ has become SO mainstream that even grandmas and grandpas are frequenting a growing site!! Talk about progress!! It won't be long before the good ole US of A legalizes it!

I say this is something to celebrate :D :48:

I again agree with the yorker here. Any sort of banning is another way to take away freedoms. If you want to put a rule into place I will follow it because I enjoy the people here and the content of the site. But IMO the job of the moderators is to keep the content of the site clean as well as being problem solvers. Many of those words that the yorker used might be seen as being VERY offensive by even a liberal grandmother. So where is the line drawn?

Also, I don´t like to point fingers, but let me say that many people (including moderators) have used what can be interpretted as inappropriate language in their posts.

And regarding the sensitivity of cultures, I wouldn´t even dare say the name Hitler in Germany since it is a taboo subject. Or give the okay sign to an Asian person. I could go on.....

Being offensive is something that is deliberate and should NEVER be tolerated, however expressing one´s self is something that should be encouraged. Many of the people here are educated and know how to speak in a mature way, but for the people that come that are not educated and want to talk like they talk everyday to their friends, then why should they be turned away or ridiculed because of their form of expression.

Setting an example is the best way to make change not by dictation of rules and regulations.

But I do respect you and the rules of this site, therefore it´s gosh darn it and fudge for me

Wouldn't it be nice if those against marijuana, or those unsure about it, were to look in here and say

"Isn't that a nice mannerly, intelligent group of people. Marijuana smokers aren't a bad sort at all, whats all the hype about ?"

I think we have an obligation to try change others impressions of us and what we do.

Swearing and insulting is not going to achieve this.

Stoney Bud said:
Yes, I am. Here's the latest news for you. If not being able to talk like a child really, really bothers you, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out of the group. The door swings that way too. A quick look at the posts prior to this one will show you that almost everyone understood exactly what I meant. There are plenty of groups you can go act like a child on. Flaming, cussing, abuse...is that what you're into? If so, then understand that it will not be done here.

Sorry there :cop: Write me a ticket so I can get on my way!!

If cussing is a felony, than the use of a sencored anitial such as "***" is a minor traffic ticket... Thats all I'm saying

You could say the same about a football team too. Just because there are rules, it does not mean that there is dictatorship. we are free to leave anytime we like.

We get to voice our opinions here. There's even talks of getting a gallery up and running because of interest from the members.

Everything I have learned about marijuana has been learned here. If staying here means keeping a civil tongue, then that is ok.

This is somebody elses house and I'm gonna abide by house rules, just like cinemas, pubs, clubs. Everywhere has rules and most of them are to protect us, the members.

peace

Am I hearing sirens?

Uh oh!!!

Here come the :cop:

EDIT: goin into chat mode 10:45 GMT

Who's house is it?? Is it Stony's?? REALY!! any one know??

Yes, the site is owned by MarP. His member name is Marpassion.

I think some people are blowing this polite request way out of proportion here. He kindly asked that we not swear. There should be no problems with that. It isn't about censorship it isn't about being unfair it isn't about trying to hinder your everyday life it is just about having some common courtesy for the people around you. Nothing more.

You, and you all know who you are, that are saying "well I am just staing my opinion and I like to swear and blah blah blah" that is great, good for you, glad you have an opinon on the matter but Stoney does as well. Your opinion is respected, but it doesn't mean that it has to be taken into consideration when request for less swearing are put fowarth. You can type something with out the swear words because they offer nothing to help prove your point. You can just as easily say "No, I disagree" instead of F YOU you are wrong.

In fact you may even end up having your point be more respected because you are showing a slight sign of intelligence by using educated responces and statements instead of just grunting out some swears in a futile attempt to insult someone or get some sort of point across.

The bottom line here is we are all just users of a privately owned forum. You really have no say. The saying "my house, my rules" greatly applies here. And before anyone can say "well Stoney doesn't own this forum", you are right, no he doesn't, BUT if you direct your attention to his title he is a mod. He has been granted permission from a higher power to enforce the higher powers rules and requests.

So really just get over it. If you feel the need to swear at random people you don't know, pick up a damn phone book open it to a random number, call it, and when they pick up just let them have it.

northernlightssmokn said:
Stony: So I just want to make sure I got it clear!! The site is not for minors, its for adults. The site is a forum full of illegal activity, the forum is is a learning guide to encourage behavoirs not deemed leagal by federal law, You are in AMERICA where freedom of speech is still a freedom... YOU are tripping out and whining over the anitials...W.T.F???? I personaly think that in and with in its self has gone too far!! Come on now...."W.T.F"??? I can see the point of no cussing and I agree but W.T.F. is not cussing...it's an lol, brb, c u ltr, u2 etc.....Go smoke a bowl and think about it bro....Are you realy going to enforce the "W.T.F.??????
thats what i said! Mannors are nice but with the thing this site is dedicated too this should be the least of his worries.. We could all go to prison for what we do here. and its polite not to cuss but do you thinki could smoke bud at buckingham palace? The oval ofice? The papal enclave? deputant ball? a ceremony honoring the actions of the tuskegee airmen?:confused:
Geez. This got weird fast. Comparing Stoney to the Gestapo is the most ignorant thing I hope I'll ever see in this forum.
Look, somebody owns and maintains a server 24/7 to run this
Yea I'm gonna have to invoke Godwin's Law on that one lmao.:cop: But lets not go into a rant about this is so and sos site. While I agree with the owners right to authority we don't need the lot of you going on and on about it. Its like everyone is being a **** up. Dont go into a tirade about us and how we should be glad to be here. Yea im glad to be here but i think your putting on a show for the higher ups and trying to cozy up with them. I see it on forums all over the place. Its annoying.
who cares?? if the man doesnt want U to cuss on his site.. dont do it... simple as that.. if you go to your moms house and she doesnt want you to cuss in her house.. dont do it.. but you say "why not??? its legal to cuss in america" maby so.. and maby your mom smokes pot 2... whats ur point... she said dont do it... you dont do it... tha man doesnt want you to cuss on his site... respect that.. how hard is it to go without cussing... its not the end of tha world.. get over it =)
who is "she"? If she being my mom told me i could smoke and the cops arrested me could i say "sh" gave me permission? The man doesnt want us to cuss on his site, the feds and popo dont want him to have a site at all. why is rebelion against one just?

No discussion of cultivation for profit: You guys that are using the fact that MJ is illegal as a reason to cuss need to grow up. It has been proven to have medical benefits and in some cultures it is not illegal nor is it considered a drug. If it is illegal where you live, maybe you could try and change that. You could start by not treating it like an illegal substance, and treat it like the herb that it is.
Thats a rule? I thought they said they diddnt care that much about sales? Medical benefits? I think your looking too hard into any possitive. There is nothing that can be done to legalize it. People act weird on bud anyways. The same respectfulness arguement to use to ban cuss words will be used by people who claim people that are high, act high, and look high ruin the neighborhood and arnt good for kids to see .
And is just "ONE" of the differences that make this board stand head and shoulders above the rest, IMHO.
Personally, I think it shows immaturity and a lack of communications skills, if one simply "can't" express their opinions or emotions without it.
ur right i see a difference between this site and other. it stands above the rest.

Honestly, I have a filthy mouth. Among most of my associates/friends/coworkers, I "cuss like a muleskinner", but the second I walk into a restaraunt, store, or any other "public venue", where others are present, it STOPS.
i read on MSNBC on their little news tidbits about cussing at work. It said its okay to use cuss words in a group because it builds a sorta closeness. something like that.
"Isn't that a nice mannerly, intelligent group of people. Marijuana smokers aren't a bad sort at all, whats all the hype about ?"
i think Montel Williams support it for medical use but his overall attutude and passion on subjects diddn't help bud's image eventhough he is respected.

You could say the same about a football team too. Just because there are rules, it does not mean that there is dictatorship. we are free to leave anytime we like.

We get to voice our opinions here. There's even talks of getting a gallery up and running because of interest from the members.

Everything I have learned about marijuana has been learned here. If staying here means keeping a civil tongue, then that is ok.
ppl are free to leave mariages too but many men are forced to pay alimony. We've learned so much here we simply cant leave. We are dependent. :eek:
The love it or leave it attitude could be used against your pro-legal green movement too. to a tee. thats the irony of it is it not?

you dont like no bud go to Holland..:confused:

You, and you all know who you are, that are saying "well I am just staing my opinion and I like to swear and blah blah blah" that is great, good for you, glad you have an opinon on the matter but Stoney does as well. Your opinion is respected, but it doesn't mean that it has to be taken into consideration when request for less swearing are put fowarth. You can type something with out the swear words because they offer nothing to help prove your point. You can just as easily say "No, I disagree" instead of F YOU you are wrong.
But in theory since he is requesting and not ordering there is room to debate him. I understand his gripes and have better understanding of him due to a private discussion. Hes not a prude or a square. I want to know specifically what this is about. he cussing your talking about I couldnt see going on in the plant sections. In the social sections yea. Maybe the cussing from the plant sections should be blocked? If you cant listen you lose your right to those forums or one of the subforums you keep cussing in. Maybe there should be a limit or "curse quota" in the social section? they can prove a point. cursing is to replace violence, acronyms are to replace curse words. They show feeling. They are worded emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back