Wardrobe grow #1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clambake

Reaction score
THE LEARNING EXPERIENCE part 1

Well im finally posting some pics of my grow. My wardrobe is almost completly finished, just need to add a fan up top once i have plants to go up there and possibly more intake vents, havn't decided yet.

I realized two days ago that i was drowning my plants, so i've held off on watering until their mediums are dry its hard!

I started them in jiffy pots only 2 seeds were able to handle the excess water and sprout out of 5 ak 48 seeds. the 5 hazexskunk #1 didn't want to pop in all that water so i pulled 2 of them outa the jiffy pots and cracked them by hand since their shells were so hard and left them in a paper towel until the leaves were starting to come out, that seems to work a lot lot better. 3 ganesha's dream seeds poped right away but then stoped growing since the jiffy's were to damp, so i've put two in paper towels. One is responding nicely and will be ready for transplant prolly tomorrow or the next day, I think i killed the other one. i also have two seeds in oasis cubes to see if that works better then jiffy's. The ganesha's in the oasis seems to be ready to sprout at anytime. the roots are growing anyways we'll see.

How often should I water seedlings in jiffy pots? wait until its bone dry then soak it? My plants have been in seed for over 2 maybe 3 weeks but to much water keeps them from growing.

One of the two that were able to sprout off the water has its center turning red can't see well enough to see if its bugs or not, i think the leaves are just discolored, i'm not sure. It doesn't seem to really be growing after the transplant, i dunno if the roots ever made it out of the jiffy cube. The other one seems to be doing pretty well its twice the size of the other and working on its third set of leaves.

I had given a light bit of nutes to the two sprouts, but they started twisting up so I flushed them and decided to ask when i should started nutes? once the round leaves start to fall off?

I took the black plastique off the plants b/c it was blowing around and hurting the plants, i am getting some powdery mold but i have sm 90 on the way, and i figure ill get some hydroton rocks to put in the pans to keep light off the nutes.

to water the oasis cubes should i just dip them in water then let them sit? I had a bit of water sitting in the pan but I think that made the medium too moist b/c they stopped growing and were showing the too much water leaf droop. I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep them in the optimal water. I'm think let them dry all the way or most of the way before re watering? anyone that uses jiffy pots to sprout how often do you water them?

Temps go from 67ish at night to 80-88 during the day, normally tops out at 85 which is why i think i need more intake since ambient temps are 70. I turned up the exhaust fan a bit since i had turned it down and before i turned it down max temp was 84 generallyh 80 though, so well see what happens today.

newpics 025.JPG

newpics 034.JPG

newpics 036.JPG

newpics 037.JPG

newpics 038.JPG

newpics 039.JPG

Hi there Clambake. It definitely sounds like overwatering to me. For germination, I would use the paper towel method. Just keep the seeds in the paper towel until the roots pop out of the seed and then plant as soon as you see roots. Plant the root pointing up bout 1/2 inch in the soil and water it and they will grow just fine. You want the medium to stay damp at this young stage as the plant has essentially no root system. You dont want it to be soggy though. Just damp. As for nutes, its a big no-no for such young plants. You don't want to start nutes until they are at least 3-4 weeks old to be safe. When you do start nutes, you start at 1/4 strenght every other watering and slowly increase the dose. It will definitely kill them at this young age. They need at least 4-5 sets of leaves before you start the nutes. What type of lights are you using? I'm assuming floros. Keep us posted my friend and I wish you the best of luck. Take care.

Try going directly to hard pots with soil instead of jiffy things or rock wool cubes. Its the only method I've ever done and it's pretty easy that way.

Yah i'm using 8000 lumens of floros per shelf, atm 3 red 1 blue but will be 2 blue 2 red in a few days until flower.

also that half dead looking sprout in the top left is a funny thing the leaves started growing but the roots never did, pretty sure its a few days from death. to much water = to much love. I need to find something to do other then kill my plants!

I could just fill the kitty pans with soil, but the whole point of this was to not use soil : P and the shop around here was outa rockwool so i got a case of oasis cubes, so im kinda stuck with em.

I would just get soil or invest in a good hydro setup if you dont want to use soil. Sprouting them in paper towels and putting them in soil is very very easy and almost fool proof. That's what I would do. If you do decide to use soil, I would get some containers other than the kitty pans. Small containers would probably work better than those. Just my thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted. Take care.

I just got back from being gone for a few days and the plants did well in my absence. They grew quite a bit and I got a third sprout whose seed I had thought rotted.

Heres some updated shots, the two older plants round leaves are beginning to yellow and die off, does that mean its time to start some food? The bigger one looks good working on its 4th set of leaves a little yellow, thinking it needs nitrogen? The other one is kind of a mutant, the one that had the red in it the leaves are growing deformed it looks funny.

I've found leaving the seeds in the paper towel until the leaves are about to show works the best for me. They seem to grow faster that way then when you try to get them to start in the jiffy cubes.

newpics 002.JPG

newpics 003.JPG

newpics 004.JPG

I gave the two oldest a quarter strength nute yesterday and they look to be taking well to it. All the plants are drunk with water and i won't need to water till sometime tomorrow. Its too bad I started out overwatering, but now I know what the plants look like when well watered and when dry. I sprouted another Ganesha's since the three died off due to me being a *******. They are the best seeds i've got just can't take the water as well. I'm expecting this one to do well once its rooted. The leaves just started showing yesterday.

Once I'm ready to transplant the Ganesha's Ill post some more pics and hopefully the others will have more leaves to show off.

*edit* I like to rant but no need for nonsense so its been deleted.

The plants look fine now. How far away are the lights? I would definitely move them as close as possible to the plants. Other than that, looks good so far. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care and be safe.

The lights are as low as they go, I think they were raised up a bit in the last pic for some reason. Stretch has pretty much stopped they just do some before transplanted b/c they are further from the light.

I'm going to spray them with some sm-90 before watering them tomorrow. The bottle says 5 water to 1 sm-90 for foliar spray. That seems a bit high considering for 1 gallon of nutewater you only add 2-3ml. anybody who's used it have any advice?

******* <--- guess no freedom of speech in amsterdam? I hate things that filter what i type, but i suppose the moderators get offended or something and that is not what i'm about so that was my one *****

SITE RULES.. please review them.. ;)
1. This is the most simple of rules. There are filters in place to block the usage of many words that are considered to be unacceptable in polite conversation. If you notice that a word you've typed is replaced by asterisks, then it is one of these words. Please reconstruct your post to reflect what you're trying to say, but without the word that was blocked. Adding spaces or other characters to the filtered word is not acceptable here. If you attempt to bypass the filter by using any means, it's a direct act against the rules of this site. The Moderators will generally only delete the word itself from your post. However, repeated occurrences of this type may cause more severe reaction by the Moderators who are entrusted to keep the peace here.

Simply put, cussing is not necessary and should not be used. If you feel like cussing in a private message to another member who is tolerant of it, then that's fine. The use of cussing in the open forums is not acceptable as polite conversation. Please just talk without using profanity.

Ok enough humbug and more of what we came to see.

** I probably should talk about each pic:

1. This is the mutant ak-48 it seems to be growing from more then one spot, it will be interesting to see what becomes of this early sprouter.
2. All the babies minus one in the humidor. top two are the haze/skunk#1 hybrid the one on the rights round leaves are already yellowing so they may or may not get some nutes next feeding.
3. I just thought this shot was kinda neat, prolly just due to the bong rip.
4. A shakey closeup of the biggest one. I really need a camera with a built in image stabilizer.

*** I ended up giving the two haze/skunk some nutes since the round leaves were pretty yellowed up on one and starting to change on the other. The other three plants didn't need water yet so I'll do that tomorrow. Lets hope I didn't give the haze/skunks nute to early, but I think they'll be fine they are just growing faster then the others since they have had optimum conditions since sprout unlike the ak's. The dream still looks good in the humidor ill prolly be seeing roots today or tomorrow lets hope its a female.

newpics 006.JPG

newpics 007.JPG

newpics 011.JPG

newpics 012.JPG

Latest posts

Back