watts per square foot ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P. BLAZUH

Reaction score
can I give my plants to many wpsf I have a vertical set up my measurements are 3.5 deep 4.5 wide and 6.0 tall using 2 1000 watt bulbs with water cooled bulb housings will this be to much light for my plants

Wow, though i can't answer your question. I'm astonished that i didn't know they even made water cooled housings. You sir are my hero thank you.

A Cannabis leaf is this shape for a reason.

It likes light from above, not from the side.

Why are you lighting it vertically?

:peace:

MarijuanaLeaf2.gif

yes there are examples of light burn here, just search for "light burn". That is an LOT of light for that space. I understand the concept though, basically you are describing a collesium. I would use 600 watt lights if it was me. You would not need to use water housing and could just use a cool tube design. You would still get more than enough light and generate a lot less heat. Vertical light installation is not all that uncommon anymore.

Your closet is less than 100 cubic feet. Putting two 1,000 watts in there is going to be like standing an inch from the sun and would provide 3,000 lumens per CUBIC foot, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overkill.

Heat, heat, heat. That's going to be your problem. None of us have any idea how much heat these HID lights put out until we actually are responsible for one.

I have seen a succesful verticle grow once before, in an area close to what you have. My buddys area was a little taller, around 8' tho.

As NYC said, it was similar to a collosium set up. He had 2 plants, which he didn;t start to flower until they were around 5'. Then he put the two plants in the room, hung the bulbs vertically between the 2. He then tied up all the branches to encompass the lights, basically creating a collosium.. The lights were 1000 hps.

Long story short, he pulled 4 lb's from 2 plants of thick dense bud. Mr. Nice critical I beleive.

HippyInEngland said:
A Cannabis leaf is this shape for a reason.

It likes light from above, not from the side.

Why are you lighting it vertically?

:peace:
well I belive that you can get more useable light to your plants when you grow vertically vs trying to direct the light down to the plant canopy. so i am putting my plants around the light and let my plants grow to the light that way my buds aren't being shaded by neighboring plants.

PencilHead said:
Heat, heat, heat. That's going to be your problem. None of us have any idea how much heat these HID lights put out until we actually are responsible for one.

Their would be no heat Fresca Sol Bare Bones

Price per Unit (piece): $250.00
Number pieces in packaging:1
Number pieces in box:1
The Fresca Sol is the industry innovator featuring water cooled fixture engineered to take 93% of the heat produced from your HPS bulb and transfer it through water to a designated cooling reservoir.
Increased control over your growing environment is achieved using the Fresca Sol water cooled light. This product is a great addition to any type of system or application where heat is a problem for one reason or another.
The Fresca Sol unit will eliminate 93% of the heat from your 250, 400, 600 or 1000 HPS, and transfer it through water to a designated cooling reservoir. This unit allows you to combine your existing ballast and bulb with our water cooled light to achieve real cool results. With low thermal emission and less exhaust, this results in a higher concentration of CO2.

Sorry I didn't notice your join date--I was singing to the choir as they say.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
yes there are examples of light burn here, just search for "light burn". That is an LOT of light for that space. I understand the concept though, basically you are describing a collesium. I would use 600 watt lights if it was me. You would not need to use water housing and could just use a cool tube design. You would still get more than enough light and generate a lot less heat. Vertical light installation is not all that uncommon anymore.

Your closet is less than 100 cubic feet. Putting two 1,000 watts in there is going to be like standing an inch from the sun and would provide 3,000 lumens per CUBIC foot, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overkill.
Yea i had origionaly planned on useing 2 600 but when I saw water cooled lights I thought that since I could keep the heat down I could get way more light to my plants. just like the cage witch uses 4 400's and claims 6lbs off 72 clones or colisume witch uses 3 1000's and houses 300 clones. And I read the sun puts out 10,000 watts per square foot in direct sunlight and 500 in deep shade. so I just assumed that they should be able to take it since they get way more light from the sun

P. BLAZUH said:
Yea i had origionaly planned on useing 2 600 but when I saw water cooled lights I thought that since I could keep the heat down I could get way more light to my plants. just like the cage witch uses 4 400's and claims 6lbs off 72 clones or colisume witch uses 3 1000's and houses 300 clones. And I read the sun puts out 10,000 watts per square foot in direct sunlight and 500 in deep shade. so I just assumed that they should be able to take it since they get way more light from the sun

yea the sun puts out 10,000 lumens per square foot, but I was saying you would have 3,000 lumens per CUBIC foot in your grow space. To figure out how many lumens you would be using per square foot it is a little tougher but here.....
Circumference of a circle or cylinder is Pi(x)diameter. In a closet that is 3.5 feet on one side you can only have a circle that is a maximum radius of 1.75 or a circumference of 3.5 feet. So this means your plants would have to be AT THEIR FURTHEST 1.75 feet from your light. If you were able to build the plants vertically up to a height of 5 feet, your garden surface area would then be AT MAXIMUM (edited for poor math) 55 feet. This would still give you roughly 5,500 lumens per square foot. This is a great number to have, but in a circle that is that size, you are not going to be able to keep all the plants on the outer edge of that cylinder. you need a closet that or vertical grow space that enable you to keep the plants at least 1.75 feet away from the light at all times. In other words, your circle just isn't large enough. The plants directly around the lights would grow right into them, burning themselves and shading the others.

yea the sun puts out 10,000 lumens per square foot, but I was saying you would have 3,000 lumens per CUBIC foot in your grow space. To figure out how many lumens you would be using per square foot it is a little tougher but here.....
Circumference of a circle or cylinder is Pi(x)diameter. In a closet that is 3.5 feet on one side you can only have a circle that is a maximum radius of 1.75 or a circumference of 3.5 feet. So this means your plants would have to be AT THEIR FURTHEST 1.75 feet from your light. If you were able to build the plants vertically up to a height of 5 feet, your garden surface area would then be AT MAXIMUM (edited for poor math) 55 feet. This would still give you roughly 5,500 lumens per square foot. This is a great number to have, but in a circle that is that size, you are not going to be able to keep all the plants on the outer edge of that cylinder. you need a closet that or vertical grow space that enable you to keep the plants at least 1.75 feet away from the light at all times. In other words, your circle just isn't large enough. The plants directly around the lights would grow right into them, burning themselves and shading the others.
so I can get away with 2 600 watters you think

P. BLAZUH said:
so I can get away with 2 600 watters you think
At 3.5 x 4.5, growing with a flat canopy directly below the lights, you can have more than enough light using two 400 watt lights with reflectors.

If you can find a larger area to grow in, then the vertical lighting would work for you, but with the small space you have now, it's just not worth it.

5,000 lumens per/sq ft is perfect for a great grow with few heat related problems.

I would not use 400 watt lights ever just because you get screwed in the watt to lumen ratio.
400 watt @ 50,000 lumens=125 lumens per watt
600 watt @ 95,000 lumens=158.3 lumens per watt
1,000 watt @ 145,000 lumens=145 lumens per watt

this is why I prefer 600 watt lights. That being said no, I do not think you can get away with 600 watters. I was saying if you could keep the plant canopy as far away as decribed above you could use 600 watt lights. The fact of the matter is it is just not going to be possible to do a vertical grow well in that size closet. I would just use one 600 watt light. Your closet is roughly 16 square feet, the one 600 watt light would give you over 5,000 lumens per square foot.

I would not use 400 watt lights ever just because you get screwed in the watt to lumen ratio.
1,000 watt @ 145,000 lumens=145 lumens per watt

this is why I prefer 600 watt lights. That being said no, I do not think you can get away with 600 watters. I was saying if you could keep the plant canopy as far away as decribed above you could use 600 watt lights. The fact of the matter is it is just not going to be possible to do a vertical grow well in that size closet. I would just use one 600 watt light. Your closet is roughly 16 square feet, the one 600 watt light would give you over 5,000 lumens per square foot.
so even though the lights won't burn the plants you think the light intensity would be to much for the plants to handle?

So all considered, exactly how much is the dollar difference in monthly operation? Just guessing, I figure it would be about $1.50 more.

Would you consider a difference of $1.50 a month in operating costs a significant difference?

The two 400's would provide a much better light coverage as well, or if you wanted a very even growth, four 150's would be the best.

Worrying about a couple of dollars a month doesn't seem like much of an issue when the value of the crop is considered.

Maybe that's just me.

You think that is only going to be a $1.50 difference a month? Even if it was LESS than that you are still working with less efficient lighting sources.
What you want to do in his space does not make sense. Yes I understand that plants love multiple light sources and I use them myself. I agree with you completely.
However, if you were going to set up a garden, would you rather use two 400 watt lights, therefore pulling 800 watts to generate 100,000 lumens, or use one 600 watt light that already uses light more efficiently and produces the same amount of lumens with less power?
The advantages are numerous. One 600 watt HPS will generate less heat than 2 400 watt lights, something that might be an issue in this size space. One 600 watt light wil hae a much lower purchasing cost than 2 400 watt lights. Since 400 watt lights are less powerful, you must keep your plants CLOSER to them to get the same growth as using a 600 watt light with the plants a little further away.
To me the 600 just makes a lot more sense. I do not like 400 watt HPS lights when 600's can be used effectively.

Latest posts

Back