What is wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soil said:
Do it now!

i am organics !

i am 100% its a N def showing and the PK an micro nutes are probably def. too.

i go through this all the time with organics.

first off mycorrizea does not buffer the soil. it attaches to the roots , so the roots actually stretch farther lookin for food.
In your case all the food is gone so they need more.

As much of an organic freak i am , i would still recommend using a dose of instant food to fix this prob, cause by the time your food (blood , guano, tea, whatever) breaks down in the dirt an starts getting eatin ALL your bigger leaves will be gone.

She is still reachin for the sun so she is READY for some food.

The reason behind this mess could be many things.

The reason for such a big change would most likely be in your soil with the microbes (all of them , not just mycorrizae) some of your pots are full of bacteria activity and some of them aint. the more alive your soil is the more food they can process for your plant.
usually all the pots in the room will have close to the same results , but there is always that one that has a lot more/less bacteria activity.
When its hot in there , it causes the top 3/4 of dirt to dry out quicker then the bottom 1/4 an that itself can cause a big change in the bacteria activity in the soil.

So even if you got plenty of food in the soil , if the soil cant process it all then you will become deficient.

I think in your case , your soil is healthy and there just aint no food left in their to feed the microbes.

The only instant fix would be to go get some instant food. it dont matter if its MG 24-8-16 or advanced nutes with perfect "pot" numbers. in your situation its all the same.
Give her one or two full doses of "hydro food" (instant food , already chelated) then start back with your organics , and add a tiny bit of carbs (molasses) to help keep your microbes healthy. then by the time the instant food wears off the microbes will be creating new food for your girl an she will probably need full feedings the rest of her life too.

this is derived from more then an opinion. this it whats going on with your girl.

soil :chuck:

Must ask, wouldn't adding any chem at this point kill all the beneficial microbes? The sticky on this says it will. Any instant food as you've described would have to be chem based...right?

If you've read the above information than you understand the importance of a "living" substrate. A diverse and rich bacterial and fungal balanced medium contains enough beneficial organisms to out compete pathogens and disease causing bacteria and creates accessible stored nutrient content. Chemical fertilizers kill off much of the microbial life and allow for limited forms of absorption and resistance to disease.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50463

Like I said, I really know very little about organics, but how about something like coffee grounds, fairly high in N?

Roddy said:
Must ask, wouldn't adding any chem at this point kill all the beneficial microbes? The sticky on this says it will. Any instant food as you've described would have to be chem based...right?

If you've read the above information than you understand the importance of a "living" substrate. A diverse and rich bacterial and fungal balanced medium contains enough beneficial organisms to out compete pathogens and disease causing bacteria and creates accessible stored nutrient content. Chemical fertilizers kill off much of the microbial life and allow for limited forms of absorption and resistance to disease.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50463

Not what he is suggesting, a light dose or 2 won't hurt anything.

Continued HEAVY applications of chems will certainly kill the micro herd, but it's a misconception and a myth that *any* chems will kill them, just like saying that using tap water will kill them. It's just not so. Pool water, perhaps, or tap water so chlorinated you can smell it, but *any* is just using too broad of a brush.

Like I said, think of chems as fast food. A steady diet of them is not healthy, but Mickey D's every once in a while isn't going to hurt.

Wet

The Hemp Goddess said:
Like I said, I really know very little about organics, but how about something like coffee grounds, fairly high in N?

Good stuff, I mainly feed it to my worms.

It's that time thing again. A top dress of coffee grounds would take several weeks to a month before any of that N was available to the plant.

Not like the 'right here, right now' of hydro or chems.

I grew with chems (Jack's mostly), for well over 30 years. Still learning organics and this is the hard part, how do you spot a ?? deficiency 2 weeks to a month in advance? LOL

Wet

Wetdog said:
Like I said, think of chems as fast food. A steady diet of them is not healthy, but Mickey D's every once in a while isn't going to hurt.

Wet

I like that bro....thanks for clearing that up.

Hi Rose! Getting lots of good advice here. Personally though, I wouldn't recommend foilar at this stage unless you really got your rh under control. It is the fastest way to get nutrients to the plant, but I think you've probably turned the corner already. Why risk bud rot (I'm a little sensitive about that at the moment as I lost a good portion of my outdoor bud to rot).

In using organic teas and feeds, I've never had to wait more than a few days for results to start showing. Your Roots Organics nutrients should be taking effect very soon, if they haven't already! You started on this path, don't give up now. :)

Nitrogen is pretty much available at any ph between 4.0 and 9.0. Regardless of the effect of microbial activity and ph balance, it really shouldn't be a concern in this particular situation.

Chem nutes (chelated nutrients) will give you a quicker fix- no doubt about it. And they won't kill the soil life (takes a lot of built up salts to kill 'em off). But doesn't that just go against the whole "organics" thing anyway? Obviously that strain appears to be a heavier feeder than the others. So now you know.

I'm new to growing MJ and even newer to using organics for MJ, having switched to Earth Juice a few months ago.

I have lots of experience with organics on my lawn, though. I've been using organic practices for over 10 years. I have never hesitated to sparingly use a chemical to correct a problem with the lawn or shrubs. If it hurts the micro herd, I can't tell it.

Sure, lawn care is not the same as MJ care but the microbes are microbes and there's no difference there. As was said earlier, it's not possible to detect a problem a month or two in advance. You could lose the plant while waiting on the organics to work. Unless you have reason to need OMRI certification, I wouldn't worry about small chemical doses.

Classic said:
I'm new to growing MJ and even newer to using organics for MJ, having switched to Earth Juice a few months ago.

I have lots of experience with organics on my lawn, though. I've been using organic practices for over 10 years. I have never hesitated to sparingly use a chemical to correct a problem with the lawn or shrubs. If it hurts the micro herd, I can't tell it.

Sure, lawn care is not the same as MJ care but the microbes are microbes and there's no difference there. As was said earlier, it's not possible to detect a problem a month or two in advance. You could lose the plant while waiting on the organics to work. Unless you have reason to need OMRI certification, I wouldn't worry about small chemical doses.

Hey Classic- The lawn is the only thing I haven't gotten in to full organics yet. What do you use? Have you ever tried Milorganite? Been thinking about that for next year. Any other tips you can share for established lawns?

Don't mean to hijack your thread Rose.

BBFan - I'm gonna try organics for my lawn this spring..My grandfather gets a load of compost delivered every year that gets spread out on his lawn and it always looks great. I'm gonna do the same thing next year, and seed at the same time. Haven't thought of how i'm going to feed it after that...Maybe maybe 10+ gal. brew of tea and spray it to start off and see how that goes.

Oh Rose ...like BBFan said, sorry for the hijack :)

Your welcome to hijack away.
I have been totally organic in the back yard for over ten years. Can't get Mr rb to let lose of his 16-16-16 in the front yard.
I had to quit showing roses when I went organic. That is ok, i was done with that, little did I know it would lead to organic pot.

Hey BB, my dad used to spread manure on our lawn when I was a kid, think organic, then use DDT on the fruit trees. YIKES.

Rose - why did yah have to stop showing roses when you went organic?

Because of they had to be perfect for show. Not one thrip suck mark. Maybe in the future they will have an organic section but not now. To be on the show table means a lot of chemicals used. I don't think roses were meant to be looked at so critically anyway. I don't think it is their purpose. I did it for 20 years though.

Rosebud said:
I did it for 20 years though.

Very impressive. No wonder you get such good results.

That's pretty impressive....well if it makes you feel better, I just transplanted two of my rose bushes to a new spot and gave them a nice healthy dose of some fresh brewed tea:)

I still like roses, that is where I learned to clone..outside under a mason jar in the shade..leave all winter, waaalaaa..a new rose in the spring.
Burner, i bet your roses are very happy. There are some similarities between the plants, they both like epson salts, promotes basil breaks (new bud shoots) they like tea, they love organic matter. They taught me a lot.

Thanks BB, i am not getting the best results this week, but I appreciate the compliment.

Rose that's a great tip ...I may try cloning one like that this year. Did you ever buy your plants bare root? I've read that it's the way to go...next year i'm going to be getting some more...might try buying them like that

I would recommend bareroots on their own root stalk, that way if you have a hard freeze they come back as true, not the rootstalk . I don't know if you live where there is winter, i don't remember. A good place to get on own root stalk is Heirloom Roses..com, i like edmundsroses too. If ya ever need any rose help, let me know.

Thanks rose :) I'll take yah up on that offer when I'm ready to get some more. And yeah I'm on the east cost, we can have a pretty heavy winter

when you get ready to take cuttings shoot me a pm and i will give ya the rundown.

Latest posts

Back