2011 Outdoor garden, trying to go large.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just threw 35 white widows and 15 michiganders in cups. may the outdoor adventures begin. i may go start digging holes today.

Cali*Style said:
The name should say it all. ;) What I am going to try and accomplish, will be a grow dedicated to hitting the 5 pound mark (Per plant of course). Before this becomes a tinkling match, I am not going to some how magically alter these things... Just going to do my absolute best to provide an environment, that will allow these plants to reach their full potential.

I have been reading countless threads and books on growing etc. As well as playing with little things here and there. I believe I have found a system that works well for me, and I am ready to use it in a large scale.

I will have plants in everything from 150 gallon holes to 5 gallon buckets, but I want to focus on large smart pots for this grow. I am currently starting seeds.

By large smart pots, I mean specifically 250 gallon smart pots. Smart pots can be made to almost any size as far as I know...? I have seen 600 gallons, but they are ridiculous... I have been reading on large smart pots for a few years now, I think building them yourself is MUCH BETTER than buying prefabricated pieces, and also cheaper by a good amount.

Cheap and easy smart pots: (Material list will be per pot, sorta...)

4 x 8' "t" posts
1 roll of 48" x 100' field fencing (Will make 12 pots)
1 roll of 48" x 100' heavy grade landscaping cloth. ( will make 12 pots)

Okay, measure out your growing area. Keeping in mind where any shadows or other obstructions are. I stick a nail in the center with a string attached to it, measure out 3' of string and walk in a circle with a spray can. Next you are ready for posts, I use 4 per pot spaced evenly and driven in until they are 4' tall. Next, you are going to cut a 20' long section of field fence. I use landscape staples to flatten it out on the ground. Next you are going to cut the entire length in half. Now that you have a section of fencing that is 24" x 20' long, we are ready to make the frame for the pot.

I start at any one of the 4 "t" posts and secure one end of the fence. Then I line the 4 "t" posts on the inside with the remaining fence, you will have an overlap... That is fine, it helps make the frame stronger. Next, I fold the top 6" of fence down over itself creating a 6" cuff around the top of the frame, this will do wonders in helping fight the weight of the soil and keep your smart pot round.

Next you'll need to roll out 20' of cloth and cut it off. Then fold it in half and cut it long ways. Now you are ready to line your smart pot. I start at the top container and align the cloth and wire, I secure the cloth with standard zip ties. I work my way around the entire top of the pot, making sure that the cloth is aligned well. Once this is done, work your way down the walls of the pot, attaching the cloth in what ever pattern work for you. You will have roughly 6" of lose cloth on the bottom, I fold it so it faces the center of the smart pot. You are now ready to fill with soil, and plant.

Soil will be fully organic using compost and worm castings that I have made, along with coco coir, perlite, silica rock, chicken manure, kelp meal, guano, bone meal, and all sorts of other goodies.
Love those massive plants in your garden. You better call in reinforcements for trimming time. Gonna be a good one.

Latest posts

Back