750 lumens, times13

• Thread starter PeaceLove&FreeBudz
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MARY-JANE said:
Well you say its that easy. Well do you think you can donate to me some hps or mh.

Many of us struggle to meet our expenses. I have had to make sacrifices in other areas before when I needed growing equipment.

You asked me what I would suggest, I told you. Try looking at it this way. If you run the same lumens in CFLs and HPS, CFLs cost you over twice as much in electrical costs EVERY SINGLE MONTH. You also end up with less bud. These are the facts. If you want to keep on spending more for less, then do so.

I'm ticked at myself for buying all those CFL's and painter lights. I bought them over time but still they cost a lot by the time I was done(at least I got a bunch of camping lights now).Of course at that time I didn't know about the $20 HPS.The cfl's just don't work that well.You can get some nice buds but there just isn't a whole lot a meat.By the time you add in all your other expenses and all your time you might just of well bought some bud off the street.Don't waste your time with CFL's.One 150watt HPS is better then 10 cfl's as far as I can tell.

time4tokin20s said:
I'm ticked at myself for buying all those CFL's and painter lights. I bought them over time but still they cost a lot by the time I was done(at least I got a bunch of camping lights now).Of course at that time I didn't know about the $20 HPS.The cfl's just don't work that well.You can get some nice buds but there just isn't a whole lot a meat.By the time you add in all your other expenses and all your time you might just of well bought some bud off the street.Don't waste your time with CFL's.One 150watt HPS is better then 10 cfl's as far as I can tell.[/quote

Those CFLs can be used for your household lighting. I don't know what "painter lights" are, so cannot suggest another use for these.

The Hemp Goddess said:
time4tokin20s said:
I'm ticked at myself for buying all those CFL's and painter lights. I bought them over time but still they cost a lot by the time I was done(at least I got a bunch of camping lights now).Of course at that time I didn't know about the $20 HPS.The cfl's just don't work that well.You can get some nice buds but there just isn't a whole lot a meat.By the time you add in all your other expenses and all your time you might just of well bought some bud off the street.Don't waste your time with CFL's.One 150watt HPS is better then 10 cfl's as far as I can tell.[/quote

Those CFLs can be used for your household lighting. I don't know what "painter lights" are, so cannot suggest another use for these.

LOL,Yes we have plenty of cfl's for home use now.The painters light are just the sockets w/ a reflector and clamp.

I grows on 6 cfl 23 watts.. on clone bubbler.. they are doing good.. and even 4 of 80 watt floursec.. they doing good.. but I can see the different if I use the MH for the mothers.. one bulb would do the greatest result.....vs many loads of cfls and flours. sticks that will do very less result over MH but for my 10 plants.. well I want them to have plently room so they can volume lot of bushy leaves.. so that where I have to stick with cfls/flours sticks..in one big room.. 8'x8' wouldn't do good I'm look for 12'x12' or something.. I don't know if 1000w MH can do it.. but gonna cost me less than 2.00 a day or cheaper if I do better idea with cfls/flours stick... I'm still thinking..

ive actually seen some nice plants veg with the 24 flo tubes and i mean real bushy plants its all a matter of prefrence but i would def use HPS for flower

the answer was repeated over and over again, i have a hps and a mh but i was just given some input and try to grow in a cost enficiant senario. I just want to try and use cfls for a cheap grow, that will produce a full cycle of crop

PeaceLove&FreeBudz said:
the answer was repeated over and over again, i have a hps and a mh but i was just given some input and try to grow in a cost enficiant senario. I just want to try and use cfls for a cheap grow, that will produce a full cycle of crop

Our point is that using CFLs is not a cost effective method. You can "try and use CFLs for a cheap grow", but it won't be cheaper. Period.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Our point is that using CFLs is not a cost effective method. You can "try and use CFLs for a cheap grow", but it won't be cheaper. Period.
Of course, you're exactly right, Hemp Goddess.

It's proven with no doubt what-so-ever, that watt for watt, lumen for lumen, HPS is the least expensive type of light in regards to electrical usage with one exception; High Output LED's. If you can afford the upfront costs of purchasing High Output LED's, after 6 years of use, those lights meet their "break-even" point in purchase cost, electrical costs and the fact that they last for an average of 11 years with the same exact output. The last 5 years are pure gravy.

Most of us aren't looking into the future that far. LED's aren't a value at this time unless you are, in fact, going to use them for more than 6 years.

That considered, HPS is the best bang for the buck.

There is no debate about it.

Jeeeez folks, let's quit beating this dead horse.

Man, sure are alot of cfl bashers, lol. I havent seen 20 dollar hps either, but would be interested to see. Anyway, check out my grow, it will explain alot about cfl's and how they work. My results are pretty good with em.

mastersativa said:
Man, sure are alot of cfl bashers, lol. I havent seen 20 dollar hps either, but would be interested to see. Anyway, check out my grow, it will explain alot about cfl's and how they work. My results are pretty good with em.
I would hope you don't include me as a "basher" of cfl's. My favoring of HPS is because the spectrum they work in is good for an entire grow and they are also the least expensive manner of lighting a crop that is available. CFL's work. I just don't understand why anyone would use them instead of HPS. CFL's are less expencive up front, but you end up paying just as much for them in electric costs as using HPS of equal wattage when purchase cost and operating costs are combined.

Good luck to you man. If you prefer CFL's then I hope all your grows are great with them.

I don't understand.. I have been monitor the electric in the house..

right now we only running 4 of T12 4 ft total of 160 watts.. 2 air pumps, 1 aqua temperature controller, 2 of 6 inch cheap fans set in low mode..
other room has 2 aqua lights (15 watt) total 30 watt for my cherry tomatoes
and 4 sticks of T5 (separate rooms) all that along with us in the house.. only avg. 5 to less than 6 dollar a day.. which we can manage 100 to 200 per month for the power bill.. compare to 1000 HPS/MH with A/C that runs up around 10.00 to 12.00 a day.. I know I need job.. but due to the budget and I can see the difference anyone can tell me how to save energy on these 1000 HPS/MH?

papabeach1 said:
I don't understand.. I have been monitor the electric in the house..

right now we only running 4 of T12 4 ft total of 160 watts.. 2 air pumps, 1 aqua temperature controller, 2 of 6 inch cheap fans set in low mode..
other room has 2 aqua lights (15 watt) total 30 watt for my cherry tomatoes
and 4 sticks of T5 (separate rooms) all that along with us in the house.. only avg. 5 to less than 6 dollar a day.. which we can manage 100 to 200 per month for the power bill.. compare to 1000 HPS/MH with A/C that runs up around 10.00 to 12.00 a day.. I know I need job.. but due to the budget and I can see the difference anyone can tell me how to save energy on these 1000 HPS/MH?
Wattage translates into money. You're talking about 160 watts. Then you mention 30 watts. Then you mention 1,000 watts.

The more watts, the more power consumed. The more power consumed, the more money you spend.

The difference in power consumption between a 1,000 watts of CFL's and 1,000 watts of HPS lighting is considerable, with the HPS costing less per/watt than the CFL's.

You have to compare oranges to oranges, apples to apples.

POTUS said:
The difference in power consumption between a 1,000 watts of CFL's and 1,000 watts of HPS lighting is considerable, with the HPS costing less per/watt than the CFL's.

Actually there is no differance in power consumption between 1000 watts of CFL or 1000 watts of HPS, 1000 watts is 1000 watts.

The differance is in lumens per watt, and 1000 watts of HPS is = to 150,000 lumens far more than CFL,s

Growdude said:
Actually there is no differance in power consumption between 1000 watts of CFL or 1000 watts of HPS, 1000 watts is 1000 watts.

The differance is in lumens per watt, and 1000 watts of HPS is = to 150,000 lumens far more than CFL,s
hehe, it was late....Where my mind was at was lumens. To gain the equal amount of lumens, the wattage of the CFL's would be more than the 1000 watts that the HPS uses to produce it's lumens.

Thanks for catching that for me.

The sentence should have read:

The difference in power consumption between CFL's and HPS lighting is considerable, with the HPS costing less per/lumen than the CFL's.

Why does seemingly no one ever mention the sockets to run all those CFL's. Everyone in favor of CFL growing just mentions the bulb cost, not the total cost of the sockets and power cords.

If you factor that in, it makes CFL growing even more of a rip-off.

slowmo77 said:
i started out with all cfls and thought i was doin good, untill i bought 2 of the 20$ 150 watt hps..

Were did u get the 20$ 150 watts Hps at.. ?

Latest posts

Back