bubblicious, my first attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iams

Off the leash!
Reaction score
Howdy to all. Just wanted to get some feedback on this. Its a bubblicious Fem. I started 3 seeds not understanding what I was doing and only 1 is still alive today. Its 6 weeks old, I let it get rootbound in first pot. I have transplanted to 2 gal pot and its doing better. Also I did not used lime in the Mg seed starter mix/ perlite but have since remedy that when transplanting to bigger pot.

Also had some issues due to no lime and have treated with cal/mag. The browning of leaves has stopped and also have started the lucas formula for feeding at 75% strength. The pics below show plant 3 days after transplant and feeding.

I know that being rootbound and no lime or cal/ mag has stunted the growth, but it appears to be looking better and new growth is looking good to me.

600wt mh air cooled hood. lights 24-0. (I have 600 wt hps for later w/ plans for t5 for next grow.)
in 4x4x6 tent with osc fan. 450-500 cfm 6 inch exhaust fan ducted under house, passive intake from room.
temp is 80deg. F. w/ light on.
RH is 48-52%.
GH flora 3part, just started, following gh guide on bottles.
Mg seed starter/ perlite/ lime. soil
Well water ph 7.0 . 154 ppm.

Please give feedback on what you see and I will do my best to answer your questions and heed advice given.

Also any advice on what to do with lower growth near soil. i.e. what should become of it if left on or should I later trim it to promote upper growth. I don't want to trim it now since I have already stunted it way to much. Its being very forgiving to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.
stuff 002 - Copy.JPGstuff 005 (2).JPGstuff 006 - Copy.JPG

edit: to adjust feeding from lucas formula to gh flora 3part.

Its looking better after only 4 days. Amazing how it grows, even think I see changes overnight..lol

resized.jpg

mojo for the grow...:48:

I would try and get some PH dwn...drop your ph a little and maybe bump up the worm poo...and theres no need for cal/mag during veg state..Ill be fallowing along best I can...and let the lower leafs fall off normal, unless theres an issue

take care and be safe

It is quite small for 6 weeks and I suspect not enough food. However, other than being stunted and a little light green in color (needs some N), it looks healthy and not too stretched--a problem common with a lot of new growers. With a soil with no nutrients, like MG seed starter, you need to start giving your plant food around 2-3 weeks. Get your plant on a regular feeding schedule--you wouldn't want to only be fed when you looked like you needed it, would you? I am a big fan of GH flora series and run the Lucas formula often when running hydro.I never run it in veg however as I do not believe that it provides enough N for good growth. I use all 3 parts in veg--did you buy all 3 parts--Grow, Micro, and Bloom? Like 4u, I have never found a need for Cal-Mag in veg. What is the pH of your nute solution? The nutes will probably buffer to about the correct pH.

Do not trim anything now, however it may be a good time to fim it. Your plant has a lot of growing to do. Later on before flowering, you can trim it up some if you want. But I suspect that those smaller branches will develop to something you want to keep. One of the nice things is that you can veg it as long as you want to and let it get as big as you want to. You have plenty of room and enough light to handle a larger plant. If you are not familiar with fim, lst, scrog check those techniques out.

I love the quotes about dogs in your sig. I am a real dog lover (the more I know people, the more I love my dogs).

Thanks for the mojo and advice. THG, Yes I have all 3 of the flora series and have read here that its best to feed with all 3, so thats what I've done so far. After the transplant to bigger pot I've been watering about every 3-4 days and have used flora in 2 of those waterings( 2 nute watering and one without, 3 total.) I am following the flora bottle recommended 1-1-1. I guess I should bump that up to the aggressive veg growth of 3-2-1 and keep an eye out for nute burn.

The nute solution ph is 6.7 freshly mixed.(3-2-1)

I agree with you, the more time I spend around people the more I love my dogs too.:D

Ok, I looked into fimming and found an excellent chart posted by 4u2sm0ke on 8 miles high/ Gourmet's grow journal. Kudos for posting that.

The plant is only 7.5 inches tall from top of soil. It seems a little small to me to fim, but what do I know. This is all new to me. Could someone explain the advantages of doing that now rather than later. I'm trying to learn and have never grown anything other than dogs.

copy 37.jpg

Ok. Raised the light some and did research on fimming.

From what I've read, when properly fimmed I will increase the amount of growth points at the top of the plant. So fimming at this height is good to allow the inceased points to have a longer growth during veg. I.e. more flower/bud points.

Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks again for any and all help.

Yes you are correct. Kudos for you for doing research and answering your own question. I like to fim my plants when they are about the size yours is. You only actually take a small part of the growth off, unlike topping, and doesn't really shock them.

Before and after shots from fim. I hope I did not get in to deep.

I used sterilized cuticle scissors.

before fim.jpg after fim.jpg

Comments always appreciated.

Your grow is going to be fantastic. I have only fimmed a few dozen or so plants, so I'm no authority, but I have always waited until they have 6 or 7 nodes and are well established plants. As long as they are healthy there is a lot less stress on them with a fimm than when they are topped. I really like what happens to them after a fimm. I have gotten 8 branches vieing for top bud site after a fimm. I feed my chihuahua Iams dry along with a slice from a little loaf of brunsuager (sp) He thrives on the stuff. I also have learned to speak dog -- we argue all the time :)

Peace

How high can one plan for a strain like this to grow in flower. Right now I have plant on a small riser in my tent to save my back from bending over/ stooping. It elevates the plant 2.5 feet off the floor for me.

I have read elsewhere that one can expect it to grow 2-3x the size when flipped to flower. Is this true? Nirvana calls for a 8-10 week flower.

Yes, that is true, although some strains stretch more than others. I have some indica dominant strains that hardly stretch at all and some sativa dominant that think they should have the entire space.

Looks like a good job on the fim.

Thanks THG and HemperFi !

Good news! My t5 light will be here on friday. I have been battling temps that get up to 81. So I went ahead and ordered the t5. 2ft/ 4 bulb fixture. From all that I have read I should have started with this but live and learn.:ignore:

I'm hoping the outside temp will drop off enough so when I go into flower I can have outside cooler air working against the hps temp. Right now even with 2+ foot of clearence between top of plant and light I'm getting a little taco curl on the upper leaves. It seems to start when the tent temp reaches 80 or more and relaxes after it drops back below 78.

Any advice on t5 use would be appreciated. Its already got me thinking on the next batch of seeds to start. (paitence Iams, paitence.)

Sigh, now i guess I'll need a veg tent, and use this tent for flower.

Thank you all again for your encouragement and advice. Even just logging on and seeing more people have looked at my journal is neat.:D

Did you get the 2000 lumen tubes or the double tube 5000 lumen PLLs? A 2' 4 tube with 2000 lumens tubes will be good to veg a space about 3 sq ft. I wouldn't go larger than a 2 x 2 tent. If you got the PLL double tubes, you got 20,000 lumens and a 2 x 4 would be fine.

I wouldn't be worried about temps in the lower 80s.

When it is warm outside, I run my flowering lights at night as it is a lot easier to keep the space cool. Right now my closet is on at midnight and off at noon.

Its the 2000 lumen tubes. For the 1 plant I have growing would it not work for the finish of veg? That was my plan for the first use then use it to start others in a smaller tent. My thinking is I can get the t5 right on the plant where the 600 mh is curling the leaves due to tent temp at this time with 24-0.

At this time I can only pull cool air from in the house thru tent. I'm hoping by Time to flower I can pull cooler ouside air instead.

I wish I had room for another 4x4 tent..lol

Sure, your T5 will be fine to veg your plant. I was just letting you know what size tent would work with the light you got. Try and get your space approx 3-4 sq ft to make the best use of your light. You will be able to get the T5 right on top of the plant.

Latest posts

Back