Closet Grower First Time...help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman2009

Reaction score
I Am In The Process Of Fixing Up A Small Closet I Have In A Spare Room In My House And Making Me A Grow Room. I Hope Someone Can Answer A Few Questions I Have. My Closet Is Approx 4' Wide X 2.5' Deep And 8' High. I Have Some Afghan Seeds Ordered So I Should Have Them In A Couple Of Weeks. They Are Supposed To Be Very Easy To Grow Inside And Deal With And Very Potent. I Do Not Have Much Money So I Have No Choice But To Go 100% Flourecent. I Already Have 3 Large 5 Gallon Buckets That Are Going To Be Used On This Test Run. Afhani As Most Of You May Know Will Not Grow High But Get Very Bushy Which Is Best With Limited Height. The 3 Buckets That Are Used End Up Almost Touching Each Other In The 4' Wide Part Of Closet. They Are Large So Thats Ok. Could Someone Tell Me How Many Plants Will Grow Well In That Space. It Seems Like Perhaps 2 Plants In Each Bucket Would Be Ok. That Would Give Me 6 But If Only 1 Per Bucket It Will Be 3. Also On This Lighting I Am Gonna Try To Use 3 4' Shop Lights. What Kind Of Bulbs Do I Need. Two Tubes In Each Fixture. Someone Said One Warm White Light Or Soft Light Which Puts Out The Red Spectrum And One Cool White Which Puts Out The Blue Spectrum And Some Say It Doesn't Matter. Could Someone Tell Me. For Now This Is All I Need To Know And Would Greatly Appreciate Your Help...sandman2009

i think 5 gallon pots when growing with just floro's might be a bit overkill.
i think i'd rather use like 3gals, and not have to worry about having 2 plants in the same pot.
there's no way to get better lighting though eh? be pretty scragly with only floro's i imagine. are these floro's bulbs or tubes?
hats off for capitilizing every word though lol :p

just my thoughts (wait for the better growers to come tell you more)

one plant per pot.if you get a male,you have problems of separating roots,without killing them both.

Thanks Kaotik, I Appreciate Any Advice I Am Given. I Have Read So Much About This On The Net That I Would Be A Pro Right Now If I Had A Photographic Memory...lol...but I Sure As Hell Don't. The Funny Thing Is I Read Of A Bunch Of Stuff And Some Of It Contradicts Other Stuff. Several Guys Said Those Tube Flourcent Worked Just Fine For Them. They Have To Be Hung By An Adjustable Chain So You Can Keep The Lights About 2 Inches From Each Plant Through The Entire Process. I Am Only Going To Use The Buckets I Have For This Test Run And Maybe Later I Could Fix My Grow Room Up For Sog. Sog Sounds Like The Way To Go But I Have To Learn To Grow Em First So This Test Run. I Read That Afghani Weed Needed About A Square Foot For Each Plant And It Just Seems Like There Is At Least 2 Square Foot In Them Big Ole Plastic Buckets But Maybe Not. Maybe Someone Knows About This. I Gardened Most Of My Life So I Ought To Be Able To Do This...lol

oh yeah. don't get me wrong, you will grow them.. just don't be expecting a big yeild with only floro's. i imagine most of the lower stuff wont get a lot of light, so wont do a whole lot.
it will grow though. (i mean it's a weed.. really it doesn't need much at all. we just like to provide the most possible to get the most possible.)

good luck :)

Wow Kaotic, you are right.... that is some funky typing LOL.... You must be wearing your shift button out LOL.......

Anyway, on to the inportant stuff.... There are several, at least a few anyways, growers here that use Floros all the way through, it can be done. I would advise you to use some creative tying and maybe even some trimming of branches to allow some light penetration to other branches you think might bud better....Learning which ones to tie or trim is gonna be a learning curve thing though.....

One other thing... VERY IMPORTANT!!!!..... when you veg your plant you are probably using Daylight or 6500 K spectrum bulbs..... When you switch over flowering MAKESURE YOU CHANGE YOUR BULBS!!!!! Use the Kit/Bath Bulbs... they are a 3100K spectrum, that means there is more red light and that is a good thing for flowering.... Plus the Kit/bath bulbs actually run more lumens anyway for the same size bulb....

Good Luck to ya

If you can wait, save some money and invest in a 250watt HPS light. The yeild will be so much better. Check E-Bay, they've alway got deals going. Maybe find something used.

AzLaker
:cool:

I Already Have 3 Large 5 Gallon Buckets That Are Going To Be Used On This Test Run. Afhani As Most Of You May Know Will Not Grow High But Get Very Bushy Which Is Best With Limited Height.

You should only have room for 2.... Another idea is that you can cut your buckets down a couple of inches. Your sleeve will still fit, and it will give that extra height for a few other strains (if you want) You could also "top" your plant or bend and tie. Just a thought! But if you can save up listen to AZLAKER...:afroweed:

Thanks So Much Azlaker. I Have Researched This Further And I Have Decided That I Am Going To Purchase A 400 Watt Hps. I Have Done A Lot Of Looking And I Found The Whole Hps Setup For Abour $120. That Is A Lot Better Than Most So I Guess I Gotta Go For It

sandman2009 wrote:
I Have Researched This Further And I Have Decided That I Am Going To Purchase A 400 Watt Hps. I Have Done A Lot Of Looking And I Found The Whole Hps Setup For Abour $120. That Is A Lot Better Than Most So I Guess I Gotta Go For It

Good choice....just make sure you extract the heat, might get a little warm in the closet. And don't forget to paint the inside flat white....or line with mylar.:D Good reflection for those buds.

Azlaker

:yeahthat: i use a closet of simalar sizes with a 400hps for flowering and found a fan taking the heat out at the top of the door ,,,one pushing it threw at the bottom and 1 inside blowing on the ladys keeps the temps good
:48:

If your going with hps now you have to deal with HEAT. SEARCH ON EBAY FOR A 400 cooltube that will save u alot of stress that u and your afgani don't need. Run an intake in the bottom of your closet through the cooltube and out up top. If you look under the DIY forums you can build 1for less than 40 bucks compaire to 200. If u can't find a cooltube always have a fan blowing just under the light 24/7!!!! U will def need an intake at bottom and exhaust at top. Get the best exhaust fan u can. Also I grow in DWC 5 gallon buckets and a 16 gallon rubbermaid container it is very east to do and the plants grow faster and cheaper on electric bill. If you go soil I would go with 3gallon 1. bean per pot. If u do 2beans unless there fem seeds u don't want to deal with any males, plus your plants r going to b verry bushy. In that space I would only run 3 buckets because they will b overgrowing each other. If u have any questions post em up and I'll help u out so will everybody else. If u have any questions about DWC just ask and I'll explain the pros and cons(not to many) LOL!! Good luck happy growing.

IF U GOTTEM SMOKEM

If you can and I'm not sure if you haven't, but buy feminized seeds. When your working in a small space you don't want the hassel of not knowing weather it's growing a male or female. I've tried several varieties and always had great results.

AzLaker

hey sandman regarding the fem seeds my germ rate has been 39 out of 40 so like Azlaker pointed that put to ya I figured I would justgine u a percentige rate. I had I hermi on me so it went in its own closet with one other female. The beans were lemon skunk and white rhino both from GreenHouse bought through The Attitude.com. They have just about avery seedbank except Mr Nice. I was told that Mr Nice sold GH to arajn and then the strains were bought back but anyway if I want seeds then dont get the fem seeds. They cost a bit more but wofte the $ you can start with clones from a mother plant in about 4-6 weeks. I got lucky iguess and now have so many beans I dont know what to do with. Well whatever u decide sandman check out the attitude you will b amazed at there selection!! Happy Growin!

SOKEM IF U GOTEM

Save yourself a headache, check out HGT or ebay for HPS. I stated out with 4 T5 lights. In the veg state it works great, but once I started the flowering stage, the plants didn't grow much. I purchased a 400w are cool system from HGT for under $200 and the difference is night and day. The plants are flowering with buds everywhere. White Rhino here.
Save the money and go HPS. YOu have time during the veg state to save some money. No lunch for a couple of weeks. (smile)

sandman I grow with t-5 48 8 bulbs per 3 of them. 1 on top 1 on both sides. Alot of people don't like the floros but I've been using them 4 years. I don't have to deal with any heat issues which brings on other issues holes everywhere for intake for the cool tube and exit. It seems that you have the room to grow vertical so that is a plus! With those seeds if you go t-5 they come in all sizes u can place them on the sides or under neath. I would personly if I were u go with a SOG. Afgani is a great plant to do a sea with. Just top twice bend over tye your main stalks and veg for only 2 weeks max. With your limited horizontal space use 2 plants. If u get I male u might want to think about if u want seeds or not if u do build a shelf above your clothes hanger and stick a female with the male up there or throw the male away and you have a place for a mother and getting clones going!! Whatever your case is post up and I'll try to help and it looks like this is the best forum as far as nice intelligent peeps.DWC is a very east way to grow and at the rate they grow compaire to soil is astonishing. You can do it with 2 5 gallon buckets perfect for your scheme. Whatever u choose u will have fun and your own stuff. The t-5 are a great light source and you can use them for vertical lighting, mothers,clones, these lights have won me over. I've used mh,hps, but then you have to deal with that unwanted heat you have to extract with holes and ductpipe ECT. Look on ebay or talk to a local hydro store maybe they have used ones sandman.also look on the web for a homemade carbon scrubber u can build one for just under30$!! That will b needed for sure. Post away and Happy setup and decision makeing!! LOL

hey sandman just wondering if u have made any decisions in the last couple of daze??
SMOKEM IF U GOTTEM!!

Hey Joesef did u change the bulbs when u went to flower mode? Also what type of t-5 did u use. I have New Wave 8 bulbs per light at 54 watts per bulb. Each lamp putting out 432 watts. I have three of them. I love them. The only downfall is raising them and lowering them. I grow in SOG STYLE so after the strech I keep them as close as possible. The plus to the lights is u can use them from seedling to fat colas!! I was just wondering what happened to u during flowering. I'm SELLING MY 600 watt MH/HPS IF ANYBODY IS INTERESTED!!! Too much heat for me and I love the T-5's that I have. I have gotten just about the same yeild with the floros and I have no holes in my walls!! LOL Happy Growin to everybody.

sandman did u change your profile name?? Is Hydra- know u or am I just too stoned right now????? Help ( is there anybody out there? PKFlyd)

Latest posts

Back