Complete First timer here we go!! Please give advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hemp Goddess said:
Get rid of the foil
Get your light closer.
Don't cut off fan leaves, they will fall off when they are no longer useful to the plant.
Do your pots have adequate drainage?
You should give your plants a big drink of water and then let them dry out before you water again. Frequent shallow watering does not encourage good root growth.

Im sorry foil is all i have. The inside of the closet is basically painted black and thats all i have to work with right now. Its better then black walls im sure :)

My light is only 9 inches away from my plants. Do you still think it should be closer??

Looking good stides. Not sure about the yellowing, but it could be caused either by incorrect ph or maybe a lack of nutrients. Tin foil works... I've had a few buddies grow nice plants with foil. Painting your walls white wouldn't be a bad decision.

So when can I start to figure out if they are girls or boys???

How tall are these little bastards gona get????

Are my pots too small???

New picture. The tallest one is 16 inches tall now. Im no expert but these pots dont seem like they are going to be big enough to contain them. Does anyone know what size of pot is optimal for me?? Should I wait until I start to flower them before I transplant? Reason is I really dont have that much space to work with and if I could figure out if any were male I would have more room for bigger pots.

The plants are approx. 6 weeks old now. How much longer should I wait or how much taller should I let them get before switching to the flowering cycle?

Help me out peeps, this is my first time. I promise I wont ask anymore dumb questions after my first grow! :)

GEDC0164.jpg

Get rid of the foil (and spend $5 on flat white paint)
Get your lights closer.(they are stretching bad)

You want 1 gal of soil for every foot of height your plant is. Plants can double or triple in height. I would recommend flowering right away (especiallly since CFLs do not have much "penetrating" power).

Please also keep in mind that im using Miracle gro soil (0.18-0.10-0.10). if you any encounter problems this is 80% why ! don't add nutes and goodluck brother !peace !

If u don't want to paint and have alittle extra money go buy some Milar it like what u have but Better. Some grower has this around there grow..

Looks Good though

Ya you can go to walmart and buy some mylar fire blankets for cheap.:)

My light is literally like 4 inches away from my plants and its an HPS!

Can anyone answer the questions I had?

stides said:
My light is literally like 4 inches away from my plants and its an HPS!

Can anyone answer the questions I had?

How big is your light? What are your temps like?

I beleive I read somewhere that light will penetrate the foil and your basically trapping light behind the foil, not sure how correct that is but it makes sense to me. Whats your light cycle at?

Shockeclipse said:
How big is your light? What are your temps like?

I beleive I read somewhere that light will penetrate the foil and your basically trapping light behind the foil, not sure how correct that is but it makes sense to me. Whats your light cycle at?

IM going 24 hours light for simplicity sakes.

So please somebody answer my questions!!! Do i need to transplant these plants to a bigger pot??? When should I switch to 12/12??? They were born on April 20th!!! So they are like almost 2 months old now. Should I switch to flower now?

hey stides just saw your journal- looks good.

As far as transplanting- it definitely wouldn't hurt. The more room the roots have the more nutrient uptake is possible. I've never grown soil though.

If they are 2 months old then they are pretty mature. Do you know what sex they are? They should be showing sex here soon. Do they have alternating nodes yet?

How tall is your growroom where you will be flowering them? Each plant tends to double or even triple in size once they are placed in flower. So if you are limited on height I would flower them now.

GrowinGreen said:
hey stides just saw your journal- looks good.

As far as transplanting- it definitely wouldn't hurt. The more room the roots have the more nutrient uptake is possible. I've never grown soil though.

If they are 2 months old then they are pretty mature. Do you know what sex they are? They should be showing sex here soon. Do they have alternating nodes yet?

How tall is your growroom where you will be flowering them? Each plant tends to double or even triple in size once they are placed in flower. So if you are limited on height I would flower them now.

Well like i said before I dont have that much horizontal room and i have 4 plants, so if I could figure out if they were male or female and possibly lose 2 plants, that wouldnt be the worst thing in the world as I have like 8 feet of vertical space.

I thought that you cant begin to tell if they are male or female until you start to flower them though? Can I tell If they are male or female now or do i have to flower them???

stides said:
Well like i said before I dont have that much horizontal room and i have 4 plants, so if I could figure out if they were male or female and possibly lose 2 plants, that wouldnt be the worst thing in the world as I have like 8 feet of vertical space.

I thought that you cant begin to tell if they are male or female until you start to flower them though? Can I tell If they are male or female now or do i have to flower them???

You need to start keeping an eye out for preflowers. MJ starts to show preflowers when it is mature enough to flower. Click this link and start reading around about them. Once they show you can switch to 12/12 and they should really start to show whether they are male or female.

hhttp://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43348
That shows a good representation of what the male vs. fem preflowers look like.

stides said:

Yeah if you veg them long enough they will show sex- they have reached sexual maturity.

I knew which of my plants were male and female before I put them into flower. If you wait it out you will know too. And you are probably almost there if you have vegged for 2 months.

Shockeclipse said:
You need to start keeping an eye out for preflowers. MJ starts to show preflowers when it is mature enough to flower. Click this link and start reading around about them. Once they show you can switch to 12/12 and they should really start to show whether they are male or female.

http://http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43348
That shows a good representation of what the male vs. fem preflowers look like.
thx for the research link although it took me while to figure out why it wasnt working. Took me a while to figure it out but you entered http twice. Might want to edit it for other growin noobs like me that might be looking at this thread. :hubba:

stides said:
thx for the research link although it took me while to figure out why it wasnt working. Took me a while to figure it out but you entered http twice. Might want to edit it for other growin noobs like me that might be looking at this thread. :hubba:

fixed, good lookin out

Well i havent updated in a while because basically there wasnt a whole lot to tell. Anyways I figured out what sex the plants were. I had 2 males and 2 females.. I was hoping for 3-4 females but oh well its better then 1 female and 3 males or *gasp*, 4 males! It was actually quite easy to tell the difference between male and females. From all the people asking all over the internet how to tell the difference I thought it would be much more challenging, but the difference is night and day! duh!

I still have the problem with the lower leaves dying on the plant. Im chalking this up to using miracle grow soil. Because I cant think of any other reason they would be dying as a water the plants well. Other then they are about 28inchs tall and have been on 12/12 now for about 10 days and the girls seem to be budding nice. Here's a new pic of the budding!

GEDC0193.JPG

From my general gardening experience ...Often plants that are being over watered look like they are drying as if they are being under watered. That's because the roots start to rot and the water can not get up to the plant.

Latest posts

Back