Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's the damage. The sideways buds are to keep them out of the light. I did that just before the breaker issue, or they would probably be even worse. Anyway, all the buds show new growth, and none of the trichomes look damaged. I wonder if all this stress can herm a plant that already has a few pollinated flowers growing seeds?

budburn.jpg

budburn2.jpg

budburn3.jpg

budburn4.jpg

On a lighter note, the little runt is growing fast in the sunlight. I might get an ounce or two out of her after all.

runtyard.jpg

A couple of my GSC's are showing clear calcium deficiency, with double the recommended amount of cal-mag. I've become quite disillusioned with cal-mag, GH and FF both. Doesn't seem to matter how much of the stuff I add in, eventually I see calcium deficiency on every plant whatever the medium. I use calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate on my tomatoes, and not one calcium deficient leaf is on any of those plants.

So when I changed out the reservoir today, instead of cal-mag my plants got some added calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate, and no cal-mag. Cost to mix it myself is about 10% of what cal-mag costs anyway.

I have my auto water pump all ready for the flower tent. They are already bordering on being over watered due to me testing the watering system. It had a tendency to become a siphon when the pump was turned off, and I had to mount the ports higher. With any luck I won't come home to a bunch of plants floating in the tent.

Also mounted a float valve in one of the spare baskets in the DWC. I have 20 gallons in a second reservoir with a pump I run for 15 minutes a day which is good for up to 2 gallons.

Pet sitter is going to water the veggies while I cook on the beach in Puerto Rico next week. Only a couple more things to do before I can leave - like figure out where I left my laptop, lol.

Looks like that plant will recover just fine. They are a lot tougher than people give 'em credit for.
You want a super cheap version of CalMag? Folks will laugh, but I've used Epsom salts in hydro for years.
That's the magnesium (and sulfur) part, but you still need the calcium nitrate.

Sitting in a hotel in Puerto Rico. My wife has a conference, so I tagged along. I was expecting to find some weed when I got here, but everyone is so straight. I was here 6 or 7 years ago and had no issues. It's just weird. Well, I'm an old clean cut white dude who lifts weights, they probably think I'm a cop. This means I'm just going to have to drink more!

Even stranger, I'm worried about my plants. I would ask the pet sitter to take a peek, but my wife would kill me. There are whole jars of weed still curing in the cabinet. I wanted to tell her to take one when she checked on my plants. Not like I would miss it. I could even ask her to burp the other jars. But my wife fears she could be anti-weed, take offense and leave our dog to starve... <sigh>

Back from vacation. My auto watering setups all worked as intended. Nobody drowned or died of thirst, and I didn't even flood the gym in the next room. There were strong storms last night which both delayed our return and damaged several veggies in the garden. My nephew says the clones are still fine sitting in pots in his yard. No real damage and so far, not flowering.

The little runt is in week... 6 of flowering. It's supposed to finish in 7-8 weeks, but it has at least 3-4 more to go, unless it accelerates at the end. For a plant this tiny I'm surprised at the size of the buds. It's going to fill a couple of jars by the look of it.

runt2.jpg

runt3.jpg

The GSC autos in the hydroponics are also doing well. I think this is week three of flowering for them. Supposed to get up to 39 inches, and two of these are already at 42 inches from the basket and still growing.

jungle01.jpg

The buds have a ways to go, but everything I touch is sticky with resin.

jungle02.jpg

Several leaves on each plant have been showing one deficiency or another as well as some nutrient burn. I think I had the water level on the float set too low, and the PH had dropped to 5.6 while I was away due, I assume, to the lower volume of water with the same nutrients. I'm thinking this is the source of the nutrient burn and maybe some of the other deficiencies.

When I replaced the reservoir water I raised the float to increase the volume. I also increased the top off period from once a day to twice a day. I'm hoping that will fix at least the nutrient burn.

I switched back to journal thread from where I posted pics of the dreaded spider mites.

https://www.marijuanapassion.com/threads/spider-farm.80894/
spider2-jpg.296252

I spent some time this morning scanning buds and leaves on the remaining plants and... nothing. None on the GSCs, none on either of the Early Miss or THC Bomb plants. None on the tomato or lettuce plants, though my spinach has freaking caterpillars.

I had White Widow and Alien OG and Blueberry in the tent, and as far as I could tell only the White Widow was infected. I chopped everything in the tent anyway. The only other plant with any sign of them is the mother plant, which is also a White Widow.

I put the four remaining plants outside, but decided not to chop them just yet. Going to hose the mother plant down with neem and wait for the P. Persimilis. It's sitting in the spot where it had to have picked up the mites, so it's not like I'm infecting a new area. I'm not all that attached to it, but it seems like a good way to judge the success or failure of the predator mites. If they clean that plant I can assume the rest of the garden is clean as well. Probably won't let it flower either way, and I sure won't be making any more clones from it.

I'm going to toss the tent, since I won't need it after I rework the grow room. I was going to give it to my nephew, but not now. Can't move it until the DWC is finished, since they are blocking the door at this point. I changed the reservoir with new nutes on Saturday, and they have grown even more since then. I can't stand between them and the tent without brushing the leaves.

It just occurred to me the infected mother plant was sitting right next to the vent the tent was drawing air from, and the exhaust to outside is also in the tent. Air was always flowing away from the other plants, even with the tent open. Any airborne spider mite would have to catch on to one of the tent plants or end up outside. That's my theory anyway.

It just occurred to me the infected mother plant was sitting right next to the vent the tent was drawing air from, and the exhaust to outside is also in the tent. Air was always flowing away from the other plants, even with the tent open. Any airborne spider mite would have to catch on to one of the tent plants or end up outside. That's my theory anyway.
They can be carried in on your clothes you wear

Latest posts

Back