Grow Journal of a Cannabinoid Android

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK turning off the lights in less than an hour... hoping I've thought of everything I could. Also, hoping temps work with me.

OH... do I leave the ventilation on or any fans during sleepy time?! I assume just a LITTLE air moment would be good, but I don't want them to flatten over!

*EDIT* After a little reading, I'm going to leave my exhaust on 24/7 and turn off my larger OSC fan during lights out, leaving a little clip fan in the top corner on always, helping stir the air a tad.

Less than 2 hours till "lights on"!

What should I expect? I assume some sad looking plants that want to take a little time to perk back up. I'm hoping they aren't fallen right over! (it's a reoccurring nightmare I'm having .. well daymare)

Feed? Sure! It's been days since they've had nutes, so I'll start off with the first week of my advanced flowering feeding cycle.

I am nervous, but I'm sure there's no need to be. . . . *cough*

Its all part of the fun and the learn friend and the expectations can kills ya sometimes but its goin to be great! Leaving the air movement was good thing too always have air movement friend ;)

BWD

Thanks BWD :)

So, I made sure the HPS came on, and did nutes and topped all 5 Blue OG. (I attempted to FIM one of them even)

Everything is looking very good and healthy... except... my clones.

One of my clones has white mold on it. Thoughts?

Day1Flower.jpg

Day1Flower-2.jpg

Day1Flower-3.jpg

Day1Flower-4.jpg

Day1Flower-7.jpg

Day1Flower-8.jpg

Day1Flower-9.jpg

If your clones have not rooted you might put a humidity dome over them( clear plastic soda or water bottle will do)....... from my experience..... if the mold your talking about is on stem down into the dirt they will be tough to make root........ I don't think you cut through stem when you FIM.:confused2:

nice plants btw.

how long since you cut the clones?
RH in veg room?
temp in veg room?

time to prune, stake, and bend those bad boys in the flower tent. for a nice even canopy after the stretch.

i like to prune everything. then tie down the tallest thick growths, so that they're even with the skinnier secondary shoots. then i stake any shoot skinnier then a sharpie.

how far is the light from the canopy currently?

Oh, lots of questions that I'd LOVE to answer! Thanks for checking in you two! :)

@Grower13: Yeah, I have a proper dome setup, but when I first cut my clones, after 12 hours they were falling 100% over and felt like and over done noodle when I touched them. I threw them in shot glasses of water to see IF they would take... which it seemed they did.
Yes the mold is on the stem, but not in the dirt. A bit higher up.. there's also some on a few leaves. I assume I should trash... or... plant outside (*giggle*) the mold one. :confused2: As for the FIM, you're supposed to cut roughly 80% off. I tried this with the larger 4 in my other tent, and I seemed to have missed my... miss. lol! It wasn't effective at all. I believe I did this properly this time, and have a great chance of having 4 tops with this one.

@Shortbus: YAY, you came back to the thread!! :D How long? about a week or more. I actually put them from the glasses of water, into cups with soil last night. 1 of them looks decent this morning, the other 3 .. meh. And that one with mold kind of scares me...you don't think the mold spores will travel to my 5 EXTREMELY healthy Blue OG do you??

Veg Room:
RH: 50%
Temps: 75°

As for pruning etc, I thought it was best not to touch them in flowering, but I believe that was 2+ weeks after it starts (and they show sex) and when buds are on.. so I should have 1 - 2 weeks to prune and stake yes? As for staking and bending.. I'm just SO unsure of myself. I've watched countless videos, and though many people do things slightly differently, I think I have the main idea. I'm just a little beach ( :) ) when it comes to adjusting my plants. I nearly teared last night when I topped the 5 plants all in a row. lol!!!

You are MORE than welcome to come over and show me how it's really done though Shortbus! hah

How far? It's about 8 inches... I did the "hand method" of feeling if it would burn my hand after 10 seconds at the level of the top of the canopy. Maybe more like 10" ... but I think 8"

I really really really need to clear up some vertical space tonight, so surely I'll need to watch some more videos before lights come back on, on staking and bending. Any that you suggest?? Sometimes I just hate looking around myself because there's some serious hacks doing this.

Thanks all for checking out my journal.

Don't fret, El, everything is just fine, and no one is perfect, anyway. There is a serious learning curve to this hobby. It's not rocket science, but it isn't easy. You, sir, are doing great. I remember exactly how you are feeling. Don't worry, after six or eight crops you will relax a little. And you will be growing world class meds. Enjoy the journey, and remember... if you fail it is merely an opportunity to do better the next time, and there will be a next time, and it will get easier and easier. Excallent job so far.

When I fem a plant I feel around the little top growing out (the parts in your hand in the pic) and I pinch off down to the middle of the fat part -- not the stem.

My cloning technique is near 100%. I find that cuttings from the bottom of the plant have stiffer, harder stems and aren't as prone to falling over as those taken from the top of the plant -- although I have 100% success with the tops as well. Don't over think things. I clip off a cutting, cut it half inch below a node at an angle, scarify the node and end of stem, cut up into the stem a little, dip it in hormone powder and stick it in a rapid rooter plug that I have also put some hormone into -- stick them in under the dome wicking up some weak, weak nutes, spray them morning and night and ignore them. I have two small cfls over my dome.

I don't know about all that HST and LST going on in your first grow. You can control your canopy by just topping the plants and then raising whatever plants that don't keep up. Just as easy to raise a plant as it is to adjust the lights. JMO

You are doing great. You are obviously dedicated and determined, and that's what it takes. It has been fun watching this journal -- keep it real....

Peace

Hey thanks for all the excellent words HemperFi, I mean it. I am glad to know that everything looks healthy by your thoughts :)

Yeah, I pretty much fully understand how to FIM and top. I mean, I tried to FIM one of the Pineapple chunks, and I did Top one other PC, but the FIM job seemed to not work. I didn't take enough off. This time, I'm quite sure I'll get 4 tops.. I know at least 2 hah :) I fully topped the other 4 though, so 4 topped 1 FIM'd.

Yeah, I'm sure I could have done a few things better along the way with my cloning, but I surely have all the right stuff to make it happen. Cone Dome, Clonex Gel, Rapid Rooters.. I've seen it done where you just use the floor of the T5 tent and let them get some residual light, so that's my goal. I took my clones from the 3rd node from the bottom, on each plant I cut.

I don't have any LST going on in the first batch, but I intend on doing a LITTLE bit of it for the Blue OG. I need to try to veg these blue OG another 8 weeks... or.. buy a proper flowering light and just flowering in both tents lol!! (hmm maybe?)

I'm aiming for very decent meds.. world class would be neat, but as long as it's just as good as this stuff I get for $60 an eighth, then I'll be happy. (Highway robbery -.- )

Trying to decide how much I want to feed these guys.. I'm thinking I'm going to do nutes every day, as per what is recommended on the nutes website. For both Soil and Hydro applications, it says to use nutes every watering. Less my soil is still damp tonight, and I don't need to water, I do believe I shall stick to nutes every time.

So what do I do with the clone(s) that have the white mold on them? Toss em? It won't spread to the healthy 5x Blue OG will it? :(

Everything looked great in the tents tonight. 80° and 60% RH in the flowering tent.

Curious if anyone had answers to some of my questions in my last post?

Is that a flood tray or just a catch basin? I'm assuming a basin and your growing in soil. I would feed with starting ppm of around 450-600 for the big ones and see how they like it, bump it up from there a little by little but one feed every other watering. Allow ample time to dry out before you water again.

About the mold.... Pics??

I'm confused TOA.. In one tent I have a Flood and Drain, granted I'm mostly using it as a catch basin right now. I may get rid of the table for this grow and sort that all out after these 4 flower. I'll need the height that I can get from the elimination for sure!

As far as ppm's, I'm going along with my advanced program. I'm at 1200 PPM on the 4 large, and 800 PPM on the smaller ones... that I noticed are getting much bigger quite faster. Hence why I'm now tonight, purchasing another hood, HPS bulb, ballast so I can put them into flowering in about 2 more weeks :)

As for mold.. I'll get a pic when possible. It's white mold up the stem.. I know what from, that's not the issue, it's the "what do I do now" bit that I'm confused about. I don't mind if I have to toss it, BUT.. I'd like to give any one possible a chance. I could even stick it in dirt out behind my house soon and give it a "chance" haha. :)

Thanks for stopping in TOA, much appreciated. *Oh and if you didn't notice I'm running Xnutrients line. A virtually "burn free" nute... tho it may be considered "weak" by advanced growers. :confused2:

Sorry man, I thought this was soil and you hadn't fed then yet!

I'm running around 1300-1500 in flower so your doing good...

The "what to do" is starting to confuse me man... If your so worried about the mold ... Toss the *****! Put it out side... Whatever u wanna do. Treat with an organic spray or just try misting with some iso lightly.

Other than that looking good

@Shortbus: YAY, you came back to the thread!! :D How long? about a week or more. I actually put them from the glasses of water, into cups with soil last night. 1 of them looks decent this morning, the other 3 .. meh. And that one with mold kind of scares me...you don't think the mold spores will travel to my 5 EXTREMELY healthy Blue OG do you??

Veg Room:
RH: 50%
Temps: 75°

As for pruning etc, I thought it was best not to touch them in flowering, but I believe that was 2+ weeks after it starts (and they show sex) and when buds are on.. so I should have 1 - 2 weeks to prune and stake yes? As for staking and bending.. I'm just SO unsure of myself. I've watched countless videos, and though many people do things slightly differently, I think I have the main idea. I'm just a little beach ( :) ) when it comes to adjusting my plants. I nearly teared last night when I topped the 5 plants all in a row. lol!!!

You are MORE than welcome to come over and show me how it's really done though Shortbus! hah

How far? It's about 8 inches... I did the "hand method" of feeling if it would burn my hand after 10 seconds at the level of the top of the canopy. Maybe more like 10" ... but I think 8"

I really really really need to clear up some vertical space tonight, so surely I'll need to watch some more videos before lights come back on, on staking and bending. Any that you suggest?? Sometimes I just hate looking around myself because there's some serious hacks doing this.

Thanks all for checking out my journal.[/quote]

i'd move the plants to 15". dont worry they WILL grow closer to the light. my first run with my 600watt hps. i tried to keep my plants at 8" away from the light. i bleached the top 6" of the plants. the plant's wouldn't produce trichomes in the bleached area, but i was running 600 watts in a 3x3. i dunno if the difference in the size of our spaces will change the result. maybe someone else has more insight how the difference in the size of our spaces will effect light spread/intensity. that way you can better adapt to your grow.

pruning: pruning is all about personal preference. some people cut a lot off, and some cut less. some even cut none. its up to you.

bondage(bending): treat each growth shoot as if it were the main shoot. so the top of the lowest shoot on your plant is the top of the canopy. bend everything above it over till its all at that level.

keeping an even canopy when growing indoors is so crucial to getting good results. light intensity drops off so fast when using artificial light.

as far as the clones go, would you mind taking some close ups of the whole clone? i'm like a child. i get upset when there is something to read, but nothing pretty to look at. where is your thermometer located in the tent? is it reading temp at the same height as the clones? i really like to get accurate readings on temps when it comes to clones. they're so temperamental.

grow looks really good though ellis. much better then mine did, my first go round. green mojo for you and your ladies :48:

Well that's an excellent post, I'll reply to as much as possible :) (late here, getting a wee bit tired)

After reading your post I said, "aww what the heck" and ran up into the room and bent most all the long branches to a 45° angle and let them there. I know they will recover .. I didn't quite super crop, but I did bend it the way I saw in videos. It felt like torture to do, but I kind of liked it... :confused2:

Now I'm all "odd feelings" after bending them over.. not sure what to think lol.

I will get pics of this mold tomorrow.

Also, I raised the light to around 16" or so. They were easily at 8" .. no more. I'm glad you said something and I read it before bed. 2 Days in a row at that height probably wouldn't have helped my grow lol. Thank you much! I cut some of the lower stuff up earlier tonight, before dinner. I cut stuff that didn't look healthy. BUT I also saw a couple lower branches that I just know won't make their way up and produce much, so thinking of cutting some more clones, at least to practice.

Just cut the bottom 2 branches on a few of them, and make clones.. Bend, LST the girls and watch em expand. 4 plants in this space, I have plenty of room wide! After a 6 week veg, I have MUCH less room high...hah.

Just bought another setup for the other tent to make it flowering, so it looks like in 2 weeks I'm going to have 2 tents flowering.. and maybe even setup my T5 fixture in a spot with mylar just to do some "veg practice fun"

No wonder... I dindt see this post with the other questions you were asking. Dabbed out - nite y'all

EllisD said:
Well that's an excellent post, I'll reply to as much as possible :) (late here, getting a wee bit tired)

After reading your post I said, "aww what the heck" and ran up into the room and bent most all the long branches to a 45° angle and let them there. I know they will recover .. I didn't quite super crop, but I did bend it the way I saw in videos. It felt like torture to do, but I kind of liked it... :confused2:

Now I'm all "odd feelings" after bending them over.. not sure what to think lol.

I will get pics of this mold tomorrow.

Also, I raised the light to around 16" or so. They were easily at 8" .. no more. I'm glad you said something and I read it before bed. 2 Days in a row at that height probably wouldn't have helped my grow lol. Thank you much! I cut some of the lower stuff up earlier tonight, before dinner. I cut stuff that didn't look healthy. BUT I also saw a couple lower branches that I just know won't make their way up and produce much, so thinking of cutting some more clones, at least to practice.

Just cut the bottom 2 branches on a few of them, and make clones.. Bend, LST the girls and watch em expand. 4 plants in this space, I have plenty of room wide! After a 6 week veg, I have MUCH less room high...hah.

Just bought another setup for the other tent to make it flowering, so it looks like in 2 weeks I'm going to have 2 tents flowering.. and maybe even setup my T5 fixture in a spot with mylar just to do some "veg practice fun"

when i bend i do not damage. i simply tie string to them and pull them over, without creating a rupture in the tissue. this is also known as LST(low stress training). super cropping causes much more stress then simply bending them over. super cropping is physically damaging the tissue as much as possible in a particular spot, so they fall over. careful though, you don't want to split the shoot, just crush it up real good. both techniques work just fine. on the + side, what you did will reduce stretching because the plant will be using a lot of energy over the next few days repairing the damage.

Indeed, I understood the process going in, and thought.. "well heck, while I'm here, let's take a chance"

I didn't do any snapping or "crushing" but I did rock them back n forth and then use a finger and bend them over it to make a 45. They will recover in a day or so. I didn't go to hard. :D

I'm going to do LST on the Blue OG for sure, but the 4 right now are so leggy, that I thought this semi-super crop style would work a bit for the situation.

I've actually watched this video.. and a few others hah :)

Cheers Shortbus!

Latest posts

Back