Growing in rented property.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasson

Reaction score
Hi all, just about to start my first grow in rented property and a little bit worried about one thing, my tennant asking for access into my flat at random times. Would be a disaster if asked 3 months into my grow he wishes to check the place out, would have to rip the whole thing down and start all over again.

So basically just asking people growing in a rented place has it ever happened to them or people you know? Or am i getting a little bit to worked up over this issue? Only thing holding me back.

I do not think you are getting to worked up over it. It is something to be concerned with for sure. You need to always try to cover your bases fully. I would be really worried about growing in a rental, but if I did decide to I would make sure I had some type of cover up plan that I could quickly put into place if needed. I do believe they give some type of notice before entering.

Im confused... Are you the Landlord or the Tennant???

Id have to suggest finding a different spot to grow at. I rent a spot and nobodys bugging me for access into my rented property, Why would they want access to your "home"? id be wondering that?

It sounds like your a Brit maybe? In the states the Tenant is the person who lives there and there the land lord is the owner. I know over here we have pretty strict rules about when a land lord can come into a house but I have no idea about over there.

oops my bad i am the Tennant. Yes warfish it's a real pain but unfortunately my only option at the moment, im not sure its worth the risk. I would like to grow 6 plants in a flood drain system so not gunna be the easiest to pack up and get out the flat for a whole day.

In that case I wouldn't risk it unless you talk to the owner first. If he finds the garden and he gets pissed he could A: Toss you out, B: Call the police, C: Both.

True Sl4ck3rThcGrower i suppose all landlords are different, i am going to try suss the bloke out first i haven't been at the place long and only spoke briefly on the phone.

Not worht the risk i did it once though when i was young and dumb. I hollowed out two rubbermade containers and stacked them on top of each other and hid my plant in there and put the lid on if the landlord came. But i would not suggest it. Just wai till u ahve your own place it will take teh stress off

I grow in a rented place and have for a couple of years now. I keep the plants in soil so I can quickly pack them up if I need to. The landlord has to give you at least 24 hours, at least here. I can pack them in a truck or something until the landlord leaves. I have had a couple of house inspections since I moved here and it wasn't too much trouble. A grow tent would make it easier too. Just remove the plants and clean things up before he gets there. The tent is legal and it could be easily covered up. You could throw some herbs in there if you wanted for show.
I modified some shelving in the garage for my veg area and built a hidden room in the garage and pack boxes up around it. Just be careful and think it through first. Make sure you don't have any fire hazzards.
I can open the garage door and leave it open without anyone seeing my gardens which is important since I am in and out all the time with my motorcycle. Just make things look like they belong.

If you do grow in a rental do not place grow room near water lines, furnace or any thing that may need repaired.

I grow in a rented space as well and have the past few years, in a couple of places. This is probably going to be roughly a repeats of what kasgrow says, but oh well...

Anyways, yea, most everywhere in the country requires the landlord to give the tenant 24 hour notices before inspection. I've never had that happen, although my previous rental did go up for sale and people came through for showings, ugh! Anyways, it should be in your lease if they plan on making routine inspections. Or talk to the landlord, find out what their policies are (covertly, asking how often you inspect the residence could send red flags). To keep the landlord away, keep your property in tip top shape. If you have a yard, keep it kept and decorated. If it's an apartment, have nice balcony displays or whatever. If it looks nice on the outside, the landlord will figure you keep your inside neat as well, and an inspection is a waste of time.

Also, like Kasgrow said, do soil grows. That way if you do get inspected, you can throw everything in some garbage bags, planter and all, and not lose the grow like you would with hydro. And do a tent as well. Gonna be real easy to take down or hang clothes in like a portable closet for inspection. First and foremost though, be ready to nix your grow on the drop of a dime.

Yeap, like pcduck said. Better yet, brush up on your handyman skills, don't have anyone you don't know come into your space...

blancolighter said:
Yeap, like pcduck said. Better yet, brush up on your handyman skills, don't have anyone you don't know come into your space...

Whoa, how did I miss this??? Dang Blanco, haven't seen you around in a bit.. Still remember your old avi..The ferret in the plastic bag (or whatever that was haha..)

Latest posts

Back