Growing Problems past the seedling stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd and 8th pic look female to me.
First pic may be male but can’t tell for sure. Rest of the pics look to early to tell as well.

2nd and 8th pic look female to me.
First pic may be male but can’t tell for sure. Rest of the pics look to early to tell as well.
Awesome...That phone lens thing is amazing. I will make a note of those. Thank you.

Wow so Julie what was the major thing that contributed towards your plants growing so well? I remember before they died mostly in the seedling phase right?

Oh Julie you gotta check out octopots or another SIP. My plants are growing twice as fast now and I don't have to worry about watering it (best part since I'm gone frequently). I put in 6 gallons of water and just add a few gallons here and there. It was a slight pain to set up but now I don't have to worry about over/under watering and also it grows kind of hydroponically so it can grow much faster and larger without requiring a huge 10 gallon planter.

choxie is right. 3 gallon will work fine. I didn't know they were papery pots. I'm unfamiliar with them. Cutting them open is how I do my cups when transplanting, so should work well for you too.

I made my screen out of nylon rope and the frame from my old 32x32 tent. Lots of folks use PVC, but it isn't rigid enough for my style of stringing it (tight).

And no. The buds don't get tangled up in the net. At least not with the way I do it. I've only done the tuck under the net once, and I had to cut the strings off to avoid having to unweave the branches from the net. I found that to be a PITA so I switched methods.

I was a bit ignorant to how much room you have to number of plants. I'm not sure now that ScrOG would be better, so feel free to ignore that part of my "advice" 😂😂 Those cages may be a better way to go. Sorry about that.
My first grow definitely got tangled up in the net. I had a second net up too which didn’t allow me to take the plants out in a more comfy area to trim water etc all this had to be done in a tiny are on the floor just wide enough for my a$$ to fit there were some areas of the plants that were hard to see and maintain from the underside. Today I plan to trim up my clones and bend and tie some of them back. I threw a temporary net on them as they already needed some bending to even the canopy. I hope to tie these new clones to the pots or cage them in someway this time so that I can take them out instead working on them in that tiny space. It takes me five minutes just to get up and down from that spot and I’m not getting any younger 😎 just on a note, the net did provide a beautiful screen of budsites and my first grow was delicious.

Wow so Julie what was the major thing that contributed towards your plants growing so well? I remember before they died mostly in the seedling phase right?
Lack of water.... I equated loving care with water. It was really hard to cut back; I was drowning them. Then when I moved to the 1 gallon plastic bag pot (they were root bound in the Solo cup) they got fresh Fox Farm Ocean blend. That and lack of water. I'm really letting them get to just damp before I water. I watered last night and they all shot up more inches. I also don't want to over water the fabric pot cause I'm worried about mold. I had mold in lots of my original starters; which were too wet. 🙃 👍 🌱

My first grow definitely got tangled up in the net. I had a second net up too which didn’t allow me to take the plants out in a more comfy area to trim water etc all this had to be done in a tiny are on the floor just wide enough for my a$$ to fit there were some areas of the plants that were hard to see and maintain from the underside. Today I plan to trim up my clones and bend and tie some of them back. I threw a temporary net on them as they already needed some bending to even the canopy. I hope to tie these new clones to the pots or cage them in someway this time so that I can take them out instead working on them in that tiny space. It takes me five minutes just to get up and down from that spot and I’m not getting any younger 😎 just on a note, the net did provide a beautiful screen of budsites and my first grow was delicious.
Getting around the plants is a pita with the screen for me also. I had to bend down, twist, etc to get my trimming done. I still will probably use it again one day, but it will be with a little trepidation lol. It IS a great way to manage canopy height. If done correctly (i.e. keep tying down during the stretch), you end up with a beautiful sea of buds just above the screen. I recommend tying the branches down to the screen as opposed to tucking under. At the end of the grow, all you have to do is cut the branches under the net and lift them right up off.

Oh Julie you gotta check out octopots or another SIP. My plants are growing twice as fast now and I don't have to worry about watering it (best part since I'm gone frequently). I put in 6 gallons of water and just add a few gallons here and there. It was a slight pain to set up but now I don't have to worry about over/under watering and also it grows kind of hydroponically so it can grow much faster and larger without requiring a huge 10 gallon planter.
I wasn't aware octopots held that much water. My DIY ones hold 2.5 gallons of water and 7-8 gallons of soil.

I can tell if my plants need water by picking the pot up.
Yes... Exactly. I do the weight test too. I did it with the solo cups and it works really well. I have a meter for moisture, PH and light. Come to think of it I have treated their water to lower the Ph but I have not checked the soil with meter. Water is around 8 and lowered it to roughly 6.0. The meter seems to be tracking with the Ph strips roughly. I'll test with the meter today and see what it says the Ph is in the pot 👍 🌱 🙃 .

If I was drowning my plants how come they don't drown in when hydroponics is used? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???? Me no get it.🤔

I hydro the roots get air all the time in soil they only really get oxygen during dry soil periods ,

I hydro the roots get air all the time in soil they only really get oxygen during dry soil periods ,
Oh, I just got home and they are bigger. I was hoping they would even out and be basically the same height for which ever system I decide for bud support and they are gettin there. . My daughter has a degree in Enviromental Studies focusing on plant regeneration in fire burned areas. She also ran the green houses for the non-profit and the BLM. Monterey and her boyfriend is a Botanist. So when they say the plants look super healthy I believe. Oh, and the smell is delicious.
Tent is constant 67-72 deg with mid 50's humidity pretty constantly. I haven't had to adjust the humidity. 🌱 🙃

Mine's metal poles. If you use PVC, you can put these
View attachment 289300
On the corners, then cut a few pieces for legs of varying height.

I agree with @Bubba that a smaller grow space limits your ScrOg capabilities... In a 30x30, one plant for maximum benefit imo. Topping w/LST will allow more plants.

You're on point with waiting until final pot to do whatever training you decide to do because of how you need your tent set up.

Main-lining/manifolding is a technique that I've studied. I started to do it with one on my current grow, but I didn't finish because I needed to switch the other to flower. I'm going all in with it next grow. You basically go for 8 colas from a single node that result in octuplet colas... Identicalish.

You're doing great girl. The best thing to do when we're starting out is to K.I.S.S. See how the plants grow with basic training and pruning. Learn good feed schedules and watering habits and recognizing what the plant is telling you. Take from everyone's advice and try things that make sense to you. And most importantly...

Every time you screw up, you learn from it and get better results the next time. Don't be afraid to do things that will eventually have you growing like these folks we look to to learn.
Engineering design fail..... I knew something wasn't quite right but couldn't put my finger on it. I ordered the PVC fittings in 1/2 so the 1/2 garden stakes would fit; give or take. Well DUH.... The fittings ID is the 1/2 pipe OD. How stupid. So I'm still on track. I ordered some 1/2 silicone hose and I will cut inserts to get it ID back at roughly 1/2. (1/2-3/4 long). Rats, thought I had it but this will work.

Getting around the plants is a pita with the screen for me also. I had to bend down, twist, etc to get my trimming done. I still will probably use it again one day, but it will be with a little trepidation lol. It IS a great way to manage canopy height. If done correctly (i.e. keep tying down during the stretch), you end up with a beautiful sea of buds just above the screen. I recommend tying the branches down to the screen as opposed to tucking under. At the end of the grow, all you have to do is cut the branches under the net and lift them right up off.
Well I tied my girls down on their pots but I can tell I’ll probably still put down a net as I love they way I can completely fill in the tent with bud sites the edges of the plants kinda touch the walls of the tent now which if a net was down, I could lure more towards the empty spaces especially the longer branches. So I’ll probably have to suffer my floor spot for the rest of the grow. I did manage to do some good trimming while I had them out on the table tho so maybe I’ll have less undergrowth to manage at least.

Engineering design fail..... I knew something wasn't quite right but couldn't put my finger on it. I ordered the PVC fittings in 1/2 so the 1/2 garden stakes would fit; give or take. Well DUH.... The fittings ID is the 1/2 pipe OD. How stupid. So I'm still on track. I ordered some 1/2 silicone hose and I will cut inserts to get it ID back at roughly 1/2. (1/2-3/4 long). Rats, thought I had it but this will work.
Trial and error leads to great things!

The octopot is awesome since a lot of roots grow into the water well thing and some roots are above that level which is dry so they always get oxygen and all the water they an possibly need thus growing much larger and faster than dirt without having the issues of pure hydro

I got it.... and it works really well, I think. Here are close ups of the tops of the plants. It's fun to zoom them up. I have no idea what I'm actually looking at. Good tip - way better than the stupid microscope that was supposed to WiFi. Don't get one.
I also got the gender test kits and went through the procedure and they are on the porch in the out going male. This should be interesting.
The tent got more crowded in the last 24 hours. Everyone was just barely damp so they all got one cup of water yesterday and Kaboom..... They were transferred to the plastic bag pots 2 weeks ago with fresh potting mix. It's obvious to me they love it. I should know the results of the gender tests in about 7 - 10 days. Once I know for sure I can remove the boys and replant the girls in their final pot - again with more fresh potting mix. How long should I wait before I feed them?
I'm super excited about the Xenvo. It's really good quality and it will be great for the trichomes when they come. Happy Growing all..... Thank you. 👍 🌱🙃
Well I tied my girls down on their pots but I can tell I’ll probably still put down a net as I love they way I can completely fill in the tent with bud sites the edges of the plants kinda touch the walls of the tent now which if a net was down, I could lure more towards the empty spaces especially the longer branches. So I’ll probably have to suffer my floor spot for the rest of the grow. I did manage to do some good trimming while I had them out on the table tho so maybe I’ll have less undergrowth to manage at least.
Where are the pictures? 🤔 I have so much to learn and show and tell works best for me. The nets arrived today and the other parts should be here Sunday. Looking forward to building the Scrog. Can I have please have some closeups of how I use it? My plant explosion is touching the walls on all 4 sides.
I just think this plant is so pretty. It's one of the two seedlings that I finally didn't murder and they grew. My notes start from last April and if I had of sought advice I could have done better. At least I am starting feel a little more accomplished now that I am getting some growth. My vegie garden was always happy and produced lots - tomatos, lemon cucumbers, peppers etc... And then I tried this project and everything is so different. Upside-down.

Attachments

• 030422st.jpg
    030422st.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 7
  • 030422tent.jpg
    030422tent.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7
I looked them up. OK, pretty neat. I am leaving for a trip the first of May and will be back in June. I intend to start another round of plants when we get back. I will look into this but my grow room is literally my office with a grow tent on the desk. They look awesome for ease of care. 👍 🤔

Latest posts

Back