Growing Problems past the seedling stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you may be the only one grown up here Julie . We don't equate being old to being grown up ...
Good point...I still think I'm 12 and can run and jump and ride my bike. Which I fell off of and smashed my face. So yea, I'm old but really trying not to be a grownup. It sucks.

How long is the darkness phase? Or is it everyday after the switching to flower? OK, no peeking.
Have them on a light timer. On at 6am and off at 11pm. This room gets really dark-has a cheap but effective window covering. MarsHydro tent-had no problems setting it up, closed off all the access opening once I got all the power fed in. I think I can pull off the darkness thing; no problem.
I counted and one plant just barely has the 6th node starting. No gender markers showing just yet but am thinking soon, right? I have 6 plants right now and I can see that space really might be an issue. I am working on a plan that I might have to get another tent so everyone has room.
I shared some photos at the dispensary today and we talked about topping and trimming and such. He told me that he knew someone that pinched off top of the plant but had cigarette residue on his fingers and nails and he killed the plant with contamination. I read about using clean tools. I actually bought a small trimming kit with plant scissors and gloves. I read in one of the books to clean the blades of your scissors with rubbing alcohol to prevent contamination and to clean off plant residue. So, I will go in and trim out the rest of the gang by getting rid of the very first leaves that are big and make shadows and the stems are turning.
Here are side and top views of 2 plants. They are changing so fast. Thanks All 🌱 🙃 👍

Attachments

• 022522 C1A.JPG
    022522 C1A.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 022522 1.JPG
    022522 1.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 022522 C1.JPG
    022522 C1.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 022522 C1A.JPG
    022522 C1A.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 6
Have them on a light timer. On at 6am and off at 11pm. This room gets really dark-has a cheap but effective window covering. MarsHydro tent-had no problems setting it up, closed off all the access opening once I got all the power fed in. I think I can pull off the darkness thing; no problem.
I counted and one plant just barely has the 6th node starting. No gender markers showing just yet but am thinking soon, right? I have 6 plants right now and I can see that space really might be an issue. I am working on a plan that I might have to get another tent so everyone has room.
I shared some photos at the dispensary today and we talked about topping and trimming and such. He told me that he knew someone that pinched off top of the plant but had cigarette residue on his fingers and nails and he killed the plant with contamination. I read about using clean tools. I actually bought a small trimming kit with plant scissors and gloves. I read in one of the books to clean the blades of your scissors with rubbing alcohol to prevent contamination and to clean off plant residue. So, I will go in and trim out the rest of the gang by getting rid of the very first leaves that are big and make shadows and the stems are turning.
Here are side and top views of 2 plants. They are changing so fast. Thanks All 🌱 🙃 👍
You are coming along fast Nice growing
You need to study the next chapter Plant Training 101
There are several ways to make the plants produce more bud sites .
Here is one of many web sites to help you along
https://www.growweedeasy.com/simple...your plant canopy with many colas (bud sites).

Nah... You're ok
Me too. Took off some of the big leaves that were above the lower branches. I have to stop myself from getting carried away. I think I did OK for a first round. This morning they look 3 inches taller - again. Giving them adjusted PH water and staring at them. They are fascinating.
Ordering more Fox Farm soil. I can see I need to move to the bigger fabric pots from the 1 gal bags. This will be the final move. Studying the LST and topping/training instructions from the link I got from you' all. I'm starting to understand the purpose/necessity of training them to make more buds. In the new pot I can set up my mini tomato cages so I have something to clip them to. And remember to make them self-contained so they can be moved around.
I'm still trying to see gender markers on the rest of them-the one is in the old nursery tent awaiting his fate. Hoping the test kits I ordered are here today. I don't want to transplant into a new planter then pull have to pull up the boys.
In fact the endoscope is here. It's taking a learning curve but the initial test is that it will be handy for looking at buds and stuff up close. It has a 3 level LED light and monitor and camera. It takes a mini micro SD card to store the pictures so you can transfer them. I tried the cool WiFi microscope but couldn't get it hooked up to my phone. 🌱 🙃

Me too. Took off some of the big leaves that were above the lower branches. I have to stop myself from getting carried away. I think I did OK for a first round. This morning they look 3 inches taller - again. Giving them adjusted PH water and staring at them. They are fascinating.
Ordering more Fox Farm soil. I can see I need to move to the bigger fabric pots from the 1 gal bags. This will be the final move. Studying the LST and topping/training instructions from the link I got from you' all. I'm starting to understand the purpose/necessity of training them to make more buds. In the new pot I can set up my mini tomato cages so I have something to clip them to. And remember to make them self-contained so they can be moved around.
I'm still trying to see gender markers on the rest of them-the one is in the old nursery tent awaiting his fate. Hoping the test kits I ordered are here today. I don't want to transplant into a new planter then pull have to pull up the boys.
In fact the endoscope is here. It's taking a learning curve but the initial test is that it will be handy for looking at buds and stuff up close. It has a 3 level LED light and monitor and camera. It takes a mini micro SD card to store the pictures so you can transfer them. I tried the cool WiFi microscope but couldn't get it hooked up to my phone. 🌱 🙃
I was strolling through my thousands of e-mails and found one from a growing supplier This was posted on the website and it really shows what the articles say about branch training. This only has one bud (essentially). Interesting. 🌱 🤔

Attachments

• sample of untrimmed.jpg
    sample of untrimmed.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
So, I have another question. I went to Goodwill looking for mason jars. They did not have any but I got 3 jars with seals and the metal lock mechanism. But mason jars on Walmart today has cases/flats of them for 50% off or so depending on size. So here is the question: 8 oz, 12oz, 16oz, 32 oz.? I remember someone saying wide mouth so it's easier to reach in to get the buds.

I found small tomato cages. The larger set has super heavy duty rings and poles. The rings are stout but they are what they are -8,10,12 inches. The lighter duty one has adjustable rings. The biggest they go is 10" but you can make them smaller. Recommended soft wire ties or clips in the education website. I have the super coated soft ties on a roll plus oodles of plant clips. The small one fits perfectly in the 3 gal pot - test fit on my little boy who isn't in the tent.

Attachments

• large cage.jpg
    large cage.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 4
  • small cage.JPG
    small cage.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 6
  • small cage1.jpg
    small cage1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 5
  • endoscope.jpg
    endoscope.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 5
I'm just using binder clips with some pipe cleaners after slowly bending the stems and it's working good! Either way I would say slowly bend a few inches over 30 seconds otherwise you might snap the stem ( yep I did it on my first attempt lol)

So, I have another question. I went to Goodwill looking for mason jars. They did not have any but I got 3 jars with seals and the metal lock mechanism. But mason jars on Walmart today has cases/flats of them for 50% off or so depending on size. So here is the question: 8 oz, 12oz, 16oz, 32 oz.? I remembere someone saying wide mouth so it's easier to reach in to get the buds.
I use the large 1/2 gal size , I find bigger jars allow more weed to cure
Never fill a cure jar up more than half way , the needs space in between the buds to cure properly.
I say the 32 oz are a good start. Buy some smaller ones if you plan on gifting any.

You're going to find that transplanting from a fabric pot is a pain in the butt. It was for me. The roots grab the fabric and rip when you pull the plant out. It won't hurt the plant, but it freaked me out when I did it 😆. I'd consider going from starter pots/cups right to the 3 gallon in the future and practice careful watering habits while they grow into the larger containers.

Those cages would work great for main-lining. Where'd you get them? For what you're doing, I would look into the ScrOG (screen of green) method. Super easy and super beneficial. This is my screen
20220226_172311.jpg

Most tutorials say weave it loose so you can tuck branches, but I find it better to weave it tight and tie the branches to the netting with pipe cleaners/twist ties/soft ties/etc.

Once you've topped, you can bring the branches up thru the screen. Then you tuck/tie them down. It produces MULTIPLE main bud sites that fill your grow space. Beautiful.

I'm glad the scope is working well.

Don't stress on seeing gender too awful badly. It will be obvious to you before it's too late.

The bigger the jar the better. You don't want your curing bud to bee cramped up. You want room to roll the buds around. It's like putting batter into a bowl. You want room to whip it up without spilling any over. Same basic concept.

Cages: got on Amazon before I looked into the plant training and pictures of how the plant should be all even in height. So, where did you get your scrog. I looked a while back when I got all excited that they were even growing. Do they get tangled in the buds? How do you mount the scrog thing? I didn't see one that was 2 X 2. My tent is 30" X 30". It's already getting pretty cramped in there. Crazy things are super happy.
Next is pots: I have two 3 gallon fabric pots growing right now. One is possibly a boy so I was looking at the pot to reuse for another plant. I was kind of hoping that those two or one can just stay in the 3 gallon pot? Should I get 5 gallon pots for when they come out of the plastic bag pots they are in now? I have more of this 3 gallon size that I like. They resemble more of the shape of regular flower pot with straight sides. I also have a couple of 3 gallon and 5 gallon pots that I bought as part of an assortment so I could judge size. They are more short and squat compared to the 3's I just bought. I thought the sizing was weird.
Five of the babies are in the 1 gallon plastic bag pots. I am surprised how they turned out. No shock at all to the bags from the Solo cups. I figure that it should be fairly easy to slide the bag into a 3 or 5 gallon fabric pot when the time comes. Set it in and carefully cut the bag. (Here's hoping that's how it works.)
Jars: Okie Dokie - big jars it is. I know there's a whole curing process after harvest. Don't remember all of it-they get burped every day or so? Do the plant and final bud get processed in the dark? Trying to spread out costs of getting all the things I need. It's surprising how many times I've gone to a consignment shop or Goodwill and I find something I was actually looking for. 🌱 🙃👍

Well it depends on the size you want your plant to be. Based on all the videos I've seen 3 gallons should be fine for you. I'm using 2 plants in essentially 3 gallons in a 36 x 20 x 63 tent and is filling out nicely.

More impressive is the people that do the red cup challenge. I believe someone got around 3 oz out of a single red cup!!!!

Well it depends on the size you want your plant to be. Based on all the videos I've seen 3 gallons should be fine for you. I'm using 2 plants in essentially 3 gallons in a 36 x 20 x 63 tent and is filling out nicely.

More impressive is the people that do the red cup challenge. I believe someone got around 3 oz out of a single red cup!!!!
I Have a 36 x 20 x 63 too a AC Infinity , What are you lighting it with ? How many plants you getting in there too ? asking for a friend !! lol

Latest posts

Back