Hello and humbled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gourmet

Reaction score
Having apparently reached a late mid life crisis, I decided to do an indoor grow of my own. I mean how hard can it be. In the 60's and 70's I lived on a farm and germinated the seeds and just popped them in the ground outside. These are just weeds after all.

Since them life got in my way, and I moved back to the city. Deciding to grow a few plants indoors, I germinated some unknown quality, undated, unknown origin seeds found in an old chest. With about a 98% germination rate I thought I was on my way...so I found some gardening soil in a bag in the garage, popped them in peat pots and put an ott light over them.

Hmmm. Awful stringly...clearly not enough blue light. So I started reading up on the Ott light. Geez...good for about nothing. So I started researching lights . Decided I want to go LED and decided on a string of 5, 6watt led lights. Two weeks later, my plants aren't any bigger. Next I checked the bag from the soil I used...it is marked "do not use for potted plants" OOPS.

Stumbled upon this site. Of course I knew that the strength of weed has gone up proportionately with the decrease in the strength of ...well, never mind. However, I am now humbled ... I may be able to grow a jungle in my backyard but I am clearly a rookie when it comes to weed.

So I went on a search for the right soil, ph tester, etc. etc. and transplanted the plants today in the best comparative products I could find (you have no idea how hard it is to find growing medium not loaded with nutrients).

I will still be experimenting but this time with respect for the plant and for the processes used by the experienced growers on this site.

Thanks for the site and for the input all!

I am a little nervous posting on a website though.

hello and welcome to mp

if you havnt all ready threw up a gj and if ya need any help ,the fine growers on mp can try and help :D

:welcome: to MP Gourmet, I" glad to see you growing again, I'm sure you'll find all the info needed here at MP! I see you decided to go with Led lights, I can't say I've had much exprience or any with Led's so I'll be interested to see your results! I sure by reading and asking alot of questions you'll get everything figured out! Goodluck!

Phatpharmer:hubba:

Hello and welcome. Hope you can find all the info your looking for.

Welcome...... Yeah a Grow Journal wld be a good thing to start so as problems arise people can chime in and gve you the help you might need...good luck

Welcome, gourmet. I've been on this site for about a year and a half now, and I've learned quite a bit, stuff I didn't know before. If I can learn, then anyone can learn,

Of all the stuff you mentioned, the pH meter is very important; don't skimp on that.

Good luck. If you stick around here, you'll be well on your way to growing good pot.

gourmet said:
Having apparently reached a late mid life crisis, I decided to do an indoor grow of my own. I mean how hard can it be. In the 60's and 70's I lived on a farm and germinated the seeds and just popped them in the ground outside. These are just weeds after all.

Since them life got in my way, and I moved back to the city. Deciding to grow a few plants indoors, I germinated some unknown quality, undated, unknown origin seeds found in an old chest. With about a 98% germination rate I thought I was on my way...so I found some gardening soil in a bag in the garage, popped them in peat pots and put an ott light over them.

Hmmm. Awful stringly...clearly not enough blue light. So I started reading up on the Ott light. Geez...good for about nothing. So I started researching lights . Decided I want to go LED and decided on a string of 5, 6watt led lights. Two weeks later, my plants aren't any bigger. Next I checked the bag from the soil I used...it is marked "do not use for potted plants" OOPS.

Stumbled upon this site. Of course I knew that the strength of weed has gone up proportionately with the decrease in the strength of ...well, never mind. However, I am now humbled ... I may be able to grow a jungle in my backyard but I am clearly a rookie when it comes to weed.

So I went on a search for the right soil, ph tester, etc. etc. and transplanted the plants today in the best comparative products I could find (you have no idea how hard it is to find growing medium not loaded with nutrients).

I will still be experimenting but this time with respect for the plant and for the processes used by the experienced growers on this site.

Thanks for the site and for the input all!

I am a little nervous posting on a website though.

Welcome to the site and don't be nervous--this is a very secure site :D

I would encourage you to do some research into lighting. A string of 5, 6W LEDs is not going to be enough light to do anything. If you are using LEDs, you are going to need hundreds of them :D. You are going to need more/better light right away...

Latest posts

Back