hollow stock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodymanz

newb
Reaction score
On one of my plants has a solid stock and the other has a hollow stock. Is that normal for the plants in the bloom phase? please if anyone can help me.

On another site I read a thread from a guy who said that hollow stalks was a sign of a potent plant. Well you can imagine the argument that started. Needless two say it went about 50% both ways. Someone did however explain it as with hollow stems you have a wide open vein for the water and neuts to travel through the plant like a super highway. I have never had a hollow stem so I couldn't say :eek:

this is my second crop and this is weird.

thanks for your reply

Hey i found a couple of hollow stems on the same plant and being it is my first grow thought it normal till i chopped another stem and it was solid. That is weird huh? but hey if the plant looks healthy and happy.....:joint:

can you tell me how you know the stalk is hollow???

i had a ultimate indica clone, that had a hollow stalk. the clone was 6 inches tall, and maybe 4 were hollow. after 3 weeks in the bubble cloner, and no rootage showing, it got tossed out...bb...

Well i know cause i just chopped a sat 7 weeks into flower, hermie got it. So i hung it and waiting to smoke it.

I think I read somewhere that indoor plants have more of a tendency to have hollow stems because they do not have as strong of plant walls ( cellulose?) because they do not need to withstand heavy rain or wind...so forth

banjobuzz said:
can you tell me how you know the stalk is hollow???

i had a ultimate indica clone, that had a hollow stalk. the clone was 6 inches tall, and maybe 4 were hollow. after 3 weeks in the bubble cloner, and no rootage showing, it got tossed out...bb...
I had some males and had to pull them, and when i pinched one of the females it caved in pretty easy

andy52 said:
most all my dwc plants have semi-hollow stalks.
yeah that's how i'm growing in 2, 2x10 gallon DWC w/flora nova nutes and they are realy big I started with 10 plants and some were males so i had to smoke the males and raise the 4 females the best i could.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I have never had a plant without a hollow stem. LOL--I thought all of them had hollow stems.
that's what i thought, I think that in the veg mode the stems in hydro grow hollow and then in bloom mode they start to fill up and get solid in 3 or 4 weeks into it. I'll post some pics today to show you the hollow and the solid stocks i have.

Good working hydro setup.. hollow.. everytime.. I haven't grown as much as a couple of the *ahem* ''older aged'' mods...

But ive grown for enough years... and I've NEVER had a hydro stalk that wasn't looking like a straw in the middle.

I only see a few hollow stems here and there, usually they appear on the plants tucked in the corners that see the least amount of wind and abuse. This has lead me to believe that its a result of less stress creating the hollow stems. Personally I don't like them, to weak and they break under heavy buds.

In my experience, the bigger the plant, the more "hollow" the main stalk will be. This also applies to more Indica influenced strains. Mind you, all I do is Hydro, so that may be the case also.

Nothing to worry about, imho.

During a recent trim party, we used a hollow stem to use as a joint "crutch", so our sticky fingers wouldn't rip the joint apart. Worked great!

I am growing in soil, I chopped down a plant last night due to things getting cramped, and it was definatly hollow, I gave the stalk a good squeeze beofre I chopped it. They're bageseed, indica, anything else about it I dunno. The other 3 other these plants, all female, are feeling quite hollow as well.
They have had a fan on them since day one.

They are reaching about 2 feet now.... No signs of being weak

I have 2 blueberry, they feel hollow as well, althought the stem is much stronger to me. I dunno.....They seem really healthy and are jusyt starting to bud.

Does anyone remember tcbud's autopsy. It was not hollow and died very quickly without being able transport nutrients to the rest of the plant. Doesn't anyone remember botany class?

Hollow stems are one of the traits to look for in a male when breeding. It's supposed to be a sign of potency. I've had mixed. Sometimes hollow, sometimes solid. I grow in soil.

Latest posts

Back