Home of the Old Fart's Club part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov Strawberry Fields is way hot for my use....I tried it on a couple runs and 2 different batches of soil with same results...extreme stretch....weed smells like cow manure when still wet...when dry the smell left. It might work better outside or with a 50/50 mix with happy frog or something.

Good day OFC! Snowing like mad here. River is up about 10-15 ft but it is going down and it is cold out there. Garden is doing great, bulking up nicely. Smoked some Sonic with my woodcutter, now he wants to swap me 1/4 lb. for a 1000 ft. of lumber. I think I can handle that and it saves me a ton of money. Time to smoke me a fatty.

Maybe I'll save it for herbs and veggies. I'm gonna try it tho. I was reading a good thread here yesterday about Coco.
You say it causes lots of stretch, HP. I've read that from other people while reading reviews. I've got those mystery clones I stuck in the bubbler. They need pots, so I think I'll do a small experiment. 1 all sf , 1 1/2 sf +of and one 1/4 SF and 3/4 of.
I'm interested in pro mix but I feel like I'd need a flood table for that. I just want a flood table lol. I'll pick up a bag eventually and try it. I know it's popular for good reasons. It just makes me think of drip emitters in tandem.

Well that was my last stop in town till after Xmas...at least late in the day....they are getting pushy out there and crowding up. Wrapped a couple gifts and had to stop for a Keefs coconut Kap....$1.50 per roll wrapping paper should be outlawed...you blink an eye and it tears....the struggle is real...I am no gift wrapper...cheap paper and a roll of scotch tape is dangerous in my hands lol. Now I need some Gelato as well!

View attachment 256991

If my wife would only buy wrapping paper that was that cheap there would be an extra bottle or two of whistle pig stocked in the bar.

I’m the same way, give me a few old newspapers and some 99c a roll duct tape and I’ll call it a day.

Good day OFC! Snowing like mad here. River is up about 10-15 ft but it is going down and it is cold out there. Garden is doing great, bulking up nicely. Smoked some Sonic with my woodcutter, now he wants to swap me 1/4 lb. for a 1000 ft. of lumber. I think I can handle that and it saves me a ton of money. Time to smoke me a fatty.
What size boards? Are they cured/kiln dried or green?

That might be a great deal for you if it’s not just #2 two bys.

Its a lot of labor to acquire, cut and dry/cure lumber.

If you've never tried containerized vertical nft using drip stakes and hydroton... it's quite a hoot. I find it's ideal for clones ->2wk veg->gallon finishing pots in SOG type canopy management. Ive gotten pretty explosive growth doing it this way. But it's pretty prone to flooding from tubes popping off if you don't use clips. Excuse me while I go glare at my damaged bedroom ceiling now brb

TOA -- Welcome to the OFC !-- U were at MP before and just returning ?-- Either way drag up a chair and make yourself at home !
Nov - I'm thinking plywood boxes about a foot square --removable top --long as the grow space -- Waterproof the inside and out - maybe with that spray rubber-- set it up on an angle with a res at low end -- cut holes in the top/lid for 4 or 6 inch baskets -- put the plants in and use a drip ring like RE use -- Drip the nute soultion thru the plant down into the box --down to the res and pumped back up for another trip !

Umbra
Do you hand water your grow?
Or do you use an automated system?
I ask because in my little grows some dry out before others.
If a person had numerous plants to tend, hand watering could be a Task.

I hand water all my plants and yes it is a chore. But by hand watering the plants, I look at them and see problems before they get to be a bigger problems. I see bugs or other issues early and address them early. I also stay on top if trimming the plants. These are easy to get out of control when you're not paying attention to the plants. When you have 50 6 ft plants, it takes effort to make it work.

Nov -- Flow adjusters ?--Put a valve in front of the drip line -- water gets pumped to the valve which sprays water back into the res .-- by increasing or decreasing how much water is sprayed back into the res U can control pressure going out your drip lines !

I hand water all my plants and yes it is a chore. But by hand watering the plants, I look at them and see problems before they get to be a bigger problems. I see bugs or other issues early and address them early. I also stay on top if trimming the plants. These are easy to get out of control when you're not paying attention to the plants. When you have 50 6 ft plants, it takes effort to make it work.
This is a really good point that is often overlooked in automation discussions

My grow is automated though if I’m home, I check on it at least daily...I’m growing in coco chips in soft pots...I suppose it’s a type of hydro though I’m not sure what you call it...drip and drain I guess...I have a big black plastic tray that as made for mixing concrete with a shovel...it sits under the plants and above my reservoir...a pump brings the nutes to the plants were it drains thru the coco and back to the res...they are fed 4 times per day and now that we are in flower the feeding only happens when the lights are on...I usually have to fill the res every few days...
Went shopping with the mrs today glad that’s over, what a pain...Christmas is fun but can be tiring...well, we’re almost thru it now...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back