Home of the Old Fart's Club part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning toots, I was PTFO at like, 830 and missed all the fun.
Up early for Saturday predawn coffee, my daily Clorox chewable, and then maybe a nap before the dump run.
Nov my mom is into the cayenne-cinnamon thing too, that's how she does acorn squash bowls. I do not like cinnamon in sweets one bit, but give me some Indian, Greek, or tropical African food and we got a winner. Cinnamon n savory is a h3ll of a drug lol. I will sit and eat shito sauce with a spoon. While crying. It's wild stuff. Warm spices, onion paste, ginger, tomato, rosemary, and shrimp powder cooked down over thr course of several hours to a diarrheal-looking but heavenly tasring and blazingly hot sludge. I use lobster paste instead of shrimp because... new england... goes amazingly with rice and a fried egg.
Gonna have to scoot over to our local grocery store which used to be an IGA but is now just a independent standalone with a great butcher shop and THICK bacon for cheap. Mmmmbacon

Good Morning OFC...Now SA has beat me...I must be getting old...Food on everyone's mind...good subject..throw some bacon/sauteed shrimp slices in with the corn maque choux...it becomes a demon you will dream about. I do some sweet heat on my dishes...love hitting flavor melds with heat...sweet and sour from rice or red wine/balsamic vinaigrette .I was at a cow farm the other day...all this rain and warm temps...lets say little mind builders were growing every where...perfect conditions has yielded a bumper crop...I thought of the OFC when I saw them of course. Bacon is actually made from the middling or where the ribs were on pigs...the pork belly is actually fat meat these days...I have de-boned ton of middlings for making zee bacon...rub them down with curing salts..pop them in the brine/24 hour soak...smoke em up for a few hours... heat/time duration was determined by the time of year and air temps.There is actually Summer and Winter recipes for smoked meats....Summer time required more pre-caution against micro-organisms. I am all in on cooking...with all the talent here we could throw down on a mean meal for sure. Enjoy you day amigo's

SA...40 years of early morning life style is so hard to break...I was taught this as an advantage on the World...it has served me well.

Morning JimmyNugs...hows things on your side of the Pond?...My DNA results claim most of my heritage is from the Isles...Britain is the most dominate one in there...so high cuz....most do not realize our Southern accents came from the British...as they settled this region heavily.

Good habit to have for sure.... combined with the ability to be out of bed, dressed, and out the door in under 10 minutes (or however long the cycle time is on the coffee pot)... for the first few hours of the day everyone you meet is groggier than you are and that's already a leg up over them lol
Feels like a luxury just to be able to get a full 6-8 on the same schedule daily. Back in my commercial fishing days, that's what killed me. My first boat was a Bering sea dragger and it had these twin winches in the bow, each one the size of a smart car, called Gilsons. When they started their unholy, hull-shaking screaming, you had 15 minutes to get up, chug some awful coffee, and put on your rubber tuxedo before the doors hit the stern. Then 2 hours of sorting and counting floppers and throwing the nonpermitted species back and sending everything else down the chute to the h&g crew. Clean the nets, shove them back out the ramp, file the catch/bycatch log sheet, send it by sat link to NOAA/NMFS, get cleaned up, go eat something, and go back to bed til the screaming started all over again.
Weird cycle of sleep/work, and in Alaska winter groundfish season it was statistically probable you wouldn't see the weak low sun for days on end. Just the stars overhead, flickering as each was eclipsed in turn by the roiling cloud of storm petrels scavenging for scraps. The flying pigeons of the sea.
The ONLY bonus to being the only b*tch on the boat was not having to hotbunk.

My English side left with the pilgrims. Some didn't make it- many greats grandpa was captain of the Speedwell, which turned back. He stuck around on the other side of the pond helping from afar for a while before finally emigrating. My Scots side wound up on the wrong side of the English Civil War and fled to Newfoundland to go fishing and spent a few generations floating down the Maritimes before washing up in Gloucester.
My blood is seawater.

I have a touch of Norwegian/Swedish...William the Conqueror bloodline they say...me I only know immediate family lol. But I have a draw to the Sea as well...in the Fall I always get a strong feeling I should be going somewhere...migratory sea going Viking genes maybe....I even feel for a sword on my back sometimes....crazy huh? Then comes the Scotch/Irish farmer thingy...potato famine seemed to have ingrained a desire to over grow food... oh well...I like to eat so it comes in handy.

Morning OFC !-- My GGG Grandpa was the 1st of our kind born in America in 1779 -- Julius Ceasar White -- His daddy was at Lexingtom --chunking rocks at the British cause he didn't have a gun yet !-- He got one !-- The family has fought in every war or conflict since - both sides of the civil war --
The family received a land grant from the Spanish in a Mexican province called Tejas !-- We wasn't royalty - We mostly lifted that bale and toted the load !
-- Ole Hickory said we could take'm by surprise --if we didn't fire our muskets till we looked'm in the eyes !- So we fired our guns and the British kept a coming - We fired once more ....Battle of New Orleans-- Jonny Horton

Wanna get high ?- I know U do !

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning yall!
What a day!

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. rrr
Staying pretty busy now with caring for my aunt.
Hospice will be coming Tuesday so that will give me some relief.
Those people are a Godsend!
Have a great day everybody!

That is very interesting Keef...I think I have a White in my tree...if I remember correctly all the color names are English.

Glad you got a break Gman...I know its hard caring for your aunt...I helped with my Mom after she had a stroke...she all so suffered from Alzheimer's and would think there was 2 of me.

Good morning OFC! Cold again, sinuses on full run. That article I posted worries me. That's me age bracket and since Feb when we all got sick here I haven't been feeling the same. Word and thought don't work right, been having trouble communicating. Attributed it to lockdown stresses coupled with bleak futures but, self awareness has had me telling the misses "I feel like I'm going to have a stroke".
Good food talk... We ordered Chinese last night. I ate a whole happy family! HP, you was nominated for the cook off, sir, you in the mix!
My genes are an American melting pot. Mostly German and English. Spattering of French, Bavarian and Black Foot. My dad's moms side was all native until his parents married. That Grandma was alive until I was about 11. She was awesome. My mom's mom was uptight and very proper German Wisconsin. Very smart women who gifted me with the knowledge of our past. Grandpa's was both gone by the time I was old enough to know em. My ggd on Mom's side was around until he broke triple digits. Full German, did well here to come here just before the war broke out. I'm only second generation, but on all those forms when they ask what your are, I write in American. Until I leave, get thrown out or get dead that's what I'll be!
Gman, good for you sir. Take advantage of the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back