How Bad is It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunforhire

Reaction score
My HPS light burnt out today. I replaced it with the companion MH 600watt bulb that came with the kit. I won't be able to replace the HPS for a week. How bad is this for the ladies? I have 6 plants that are in various stages of flower. Thanks.

not sure the issue?....what size bulb went out?...

if the ballast can take the mh bulb it will be fine, no big deal, some flower with mh. hps is just better for building buds and a bit more efficient.

Bogart Mc Thunderdunk said:
if the ballast can take the mh bulb it will be fine, no big deal, some flower with mh. hps is just better for building buds and a bit more efficient.

:yeahthat:

No biggie, just get the correct bulb ASAP...the girls will be fine. The lumen output is the same, just a different color spectrum.

Thanks guys. I fired this HPS up on 1/28/13 and it's been running 12 hours a day ever since. Does 4.5 months seem like a short life to anyone else?

bwanabud said:
:yeahthat:

The lumen output is the same.
Lumen output is higher with HPS than MH by a bunch,30,000-40,000 more.The girls will still be ok though.

That does sound short to me. I've had a few problems with bulbs lately. I've had 2 PlantMax bulbs crap out on me within a 2-3 months lately and I bought an iPower one a year ago and it didn't last but a few weeks. My back up bulb is a 5 year old (I only use when main one craps out) Hortilux and it is a trooper. I may start buying expensive bulbs again. I have bad luck with the cheap ones.

I like the Digilux bulbs. They are a bit more expensive but they put out more lumens than the Ipower bulbs and they last a long time :)

I've never had an issue with I power bulbs, but I run an I power digital ballast as well, maybe they work better together.

I also never had an issue with Ipower bulbs but like HighBrixMMJ I also was running it on an ipower ballast

I have 6 600w Ipower ballast fixtures with bulbs and all included. I have had them going on 3 years now without any issues, but the Digilux bulbs in place of the Ipower bulbs gives an increase in lumens by (I'm guestimating a bit here) 25-30%. I checked the amount of lux on a light meter that I have and if I remember correctly, I was seeing about 35k lux with the Ipower bulbs, and about 59k lux with the Digilux bulbs :)

This is a 600 watt IPower kit. 2 bulbs, ballast, timer, cool tube, etc. I found an Apollo kit today for a very good price. I'm thinking of ordering it then I'll be somewhat ready for my 1200 watt SCROG in late fall. Plus I'll have back ups for everything. Thanks guys and gals this was helpful.

Latest posts

Back