how old does a plant have to be to top it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrspliffy

Reaction score
never used this technique before but was thinking of trying it one one of my honeys growing from seed(feminized) sensi superskunk.would 21 days veg time be enough?is this method to be avoided if using feminized seed.peace,love&understanding

how many nodes does it have?
i've topped some at 2 nodes before, but find it's best to wait till after 3 or 4 (as i got a lot better side growth then)
can'tsay anything fo femm'd, never had any.

just my experience.

I toped at 2nd and it made sixnice branches that all budded....but iff it is a fem seed no stress at all... someone one smarter will be along soon to tell you more

only a week into veg a moment ,showing signs of healthy growth(7th) leaf showing under 400 mh in 1x1x2m homebox tent.got 4 on the go and was just thinking of topping one at 21 days as 12-16inches can be achieved no probs.use feminized seeds as it suits my needs and always seem to get good results.just would like to see a topped plant grow side by side an untopped one.

mrspliffy said:
only a week into veg a moment ,showing signs of healthy growth(7th) leaf showing under 400 mh in 1x1x2m homebox tent.got 4 on the go and was just thinking of topping one at 21 days as 12-16inches can be achieved no probs.use feminized seeds as it suits my needs and always seem to get good results.just would like to see a topped plant grow side by side an untopped one.

Aren't you worried about canopy management?

I'm sorry I can't answer specifically about feminized seeds as I've never grown any out, but, like Kaotic, I usually wait till I have 4 notes before any topping.

Good luck with your grow!

dont think canopy management would be a problem if i veg em young ,thanks gonna try one

BOSTON BAKED BEAN said:
I toped at 2nd and it made sixnice branches that all budded....but iff it is a fem seed no stress at all... someone one smarter will be along soon to tell you more
so does this mean dont top at all wit fem seeds?.:confused:

mrspliffy said:
so does this mean dont top at all wit fem seeds?.:confused:

I too would like to know what the general consensus on this is. I currently have a mother from a feminized seed.

warfish said:
I too would like to know what the general consensus on this is. I currently have a mother from a feminized seed.
i wastold once by someone with expeience not to clone from a feminized seed,something to do with how they fool around with genetics,dont know if its true:)

I have never grown fem sees but everyone I have ever talked to says never stress fem seeds never....... someone here haswill comment...Icant wait till some funky stuff out their

mrspliffy said:
never used this technique before but was thinking of trying it one one of my honeys growing from seed(feminized) sensi superskunk.would 21 days veg time be enough?is this method to be avoided if using feminized seed.peace,love&understanding

Anytime is fine before you flower it, whether it's fem or not. I've done it a week after it started to bud and it affected the overall size of the yield, but not terribly.

I would not top an auto.

I've topped fem. seeds with no ill effects. Done it on a couple of grows and a number of plants and never had them hermie. Maybe I've just been lucky but I doubt it. It just makes them nice and chunky. I'm willing to listen and learn from others, so come on lets hear what you other fem. growers have to say.

I have plants from fem seeds. I top and take cuttings from them, No hermie yet.

You can most certainly take clones from fem plants people have been doing it for yrs.

I top between the 4th and 8th node.

I don't grow from fem beans, but have friends that do. Some can take the stress of topping and what not and some can't. I think you run the risk of hermi's with fems because of the way they are made, but you run the risk of stress related herms with any seeded plant fem or other. Light and heat problems will be your biggest factors for hermies.

mrspliffy said:
i wastold once by someone with expeience not to clone from a feminized seed,something to do with how they fool around with genetics,dont know if its true:)

I top and clone frome my fem seed plant never had an issue.

I like to top only once very early on so that the vegg growth has a chance to really beef up before i bud them, makes for the biggest buds.

Im 4 weeks into my second grow using fem seeds. My first grow was fem seeds too and didnt have any problems topping.

Latest posts

Back