Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you are still kicking GW.

Thanks for the compassion and good thoughts brother!

I have pissed away alot of money in my life but coke was the biggest robber of all. Glad I had the will power to cold turkey the shiit.

I am thankful that I only fiddled around a little with other street drugs for a couple of years & even then, not in a big way. Early on, I discovered that weed was a good accompaniment for acid 'cos it helped exercise a greater degree of control. Glad that you guys who have been "through-the-mill" have come out the other side reasonably OK. I have been lucky to be adventurous enough to try stuff out but also to not get too caught up in a "scene". I have pondered for ages on the very real problems of addiction and wondered why it is that some people get sucked into that whirlpool and can't get out. I also wonder how different it might be if ALL drugs were legal and accurate information about effects & pro's & cons was made widely available by government decree.

Alcohol, tobacco, and pot are the only three drugs that I've really used much of, and fortunately I was able to quit tobacco and moderate drinking after a six year abstinence.

Coke doesn't do much for me and the only speed I tried was cross tops, which didn't do much either. Interestingly the only drug besides cannabis that I really loved was PCP, which was sold to me as THC, but I had it analyzed at the state hospital and once I discovered what it was, flushed it.

All of my experiments with psychedelic's like mescaline, psilocybin and acid fell short of being memorable as well, and opioids have never done much for pain, and even a mild overdose gives me a histamine reaction.

My research into addiction dealing with alcohol suggests that addiction is but a symptom of other underlying issues. A good book on those issues is Adult Children, The Secrets of Dysfunctional Families, by John and Linda Friel.

52F @ 63% RH, raining with 7 mph winds and predicted to reach 57F.

Nineteen weekend shootings in Portland. Business break-ins soar. Four arrest and two cars towed by new Portland street racing enforcement team.

Alas, I spoke too soon, still passing blood but not burning anymore. I will be contacting my Urologists today to discuss a new plan?

Dinner out at a Thai restaurant with oooold friends to celebrate one's 87th birthday. A bonus as he already died once from a heart attack, but was revived.

Driving to Beaverton this morning to seek help from my electronics genius friend assembling the driver for my next acoustical sieving experiment. The receiver/amplifier that I planned to use blew a capacitor and coated everything inside the case with capacitor oil.

Thanks for the compassion and good thoughts brother!

Alcohol, tobacco, and pot are the only three drugs that I've really used much of, and fortunately I was able to quit tobacco and moderate drinking after a six year abstinence.

Coke doesn't do much for me and the only speed I tried was cross tops, which didn't do much either. Interestingly the only drug besides cannabis that I really loved was PCP, which was sold to me as THC, but I had it analyzed at the state hospital and once I discovered what it was, flushed it.

All of my experiments with psychedelic's like mescaline, psilocybin and acid fell short of being memorable as well, and opioids have never done much for pain, and even a mild overdose gives me a histamine reaction.

My research into addiction dealing with alcohol suggests that addiction is but a symptom of other underlying issues. A good book on those issues is Adult Children, The Secrets of Dysfunctional Families, by John and Linda Friel.

52F @ 63% RH, raining with 7 mph winds and predicted to reach 57F.

Nineteen weekend shootings in Portland. Business break-ins soar. Four arrest and two cars towed by new Portland street racing enforcement team.

Alas, I spoke too soon, still passing blood but not burning anymore. I will be contacting my Urologists today to discuss a new plan?

Dinner out at a Thai restaurant with oooold friends to celebrate one's 87th birthday. A bonus as he already died once from a heart attack, but was revived.

Driving to Beaverton this morning to seek help from my electronics genius friend assembling the driver for my next acoustical sieving experiment. The receiver/amplifier that I planned to use blew a capacitor and coated everything inside the case with capacitor oil.
Be well.
Your experiences with different drugs has similarities to mine.
Over many years the idea that each person is unique, has been reinforsed/confirmed for me.
If that's so then it stands to reason that we're gonna experience things differently. Even in categories where individuals have a broadly similar experience - they are rarely the same., aaybe the key is to find those few kindred spirits and like minded people who follow broadly similar viewpoints /experience to your own.
Whether or not that's a valid viewpoint you should definitely allow people to be themselves. I would be very interested to hear more about your acoustical sieving idea.
I have dabbled in electronics for most of my adult life.

You have all probably noticed the pills we take has changed over the years. Now we take pills to relieve pain and stay alive rather than getting high.

Happy moanday! Feeling a lot like the dark days ov winter is moving vin around me. Days are getting short and daylight savings time is about to end.....worst thing about winter.

Walk today once it warms up.

You have all probably noticed the pills we take has changed over the years. Now we take pills to relieve pain and stay alive rather than getting high.

Happy moanday! Feeling a lot like the dark days ov winter is moving vin around me. Days are getting short and daylight savings time is about to end.....worst thing about winter.

Walk today once it warms up.
I can empathise with that to a fair degress
My old mum suffered greatly from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in the long English winters - she'd had a hard life anyway but those winter months - especially when she couldn't get out of the house - were dreadful for her.
I've spent more time outside of the UK than in it and have been fortunate enough to spend a great deal of my time in warmer climes before I returned for a long spell in the UK starting in 2003.
My wife grew up in Australia but her parents returned to the uk dragging her with the when she was around 18 (she hated being in England) —we met shortly after.
I was "courting" (what a quaint word) her when I finally landed a job at sea. From that time (1969) we had an on/off relationship when I was home on leave and I got to visit a lot of those warmer countries - Africa, Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific islands,. After we got married in 73, I worked for Kuwait Shipping, then United Arab Shipping and she got to come with me on one voyage a year.
We got to see a lot of the Persian gulf as well as Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore etc - all warm climates too.
When I quit around 79, and spent that winter in gloomy England, we discussed emigrating and selected South Africa. It proved to be a long process to get our permanent residence permits so I went back to sea with Canadian Pacific (tankers) spending another 6months Dubai to Japan, then a final trip from Peru, up the west coast of south America and finally paid off in Manaus - 1000 miles up the Amazon. By then our documents had arrived and a few months later we flew out to South Africa.
I don't know why I'm writing about this so better taper off here - it was intended as a commiseration on the misery of winter without much sun.

But I also intended to say when I came to Spain a few months after heart surgery, my wife had left me and I w as in a dark place and had been on opiates mostly for severe back pain for years, and now had a host of medication to take to regulate my heart etc.
I chucked away ALL my medication and haven't taken anything at all for the past 8 years.
I feel better than I felt ten years ago.
Not having to work, having no stress, and growing /smoking my own weed is probably why - but who knows.?
In a couple of weeks I'm coming over to the land of the free to spend most of the winter months with my sons family in Ojai but am sure I won't have the winter blues cos I'll have the company of my lovely grandson.
I hope you might be able to offset the grey days with some family?
Sorry for the long ramble. 😊

I'm with you on the drugs. My wife takes a handful every night, and all my friends seem to be taking something or another for an ailment/condition. I only take weed or beer, and in very moderate doses, with a rare Oxy when the pain is almost insufferable. I'll nurse a headache for hours before I'll break down and eat a couple of Advil. I just don't like being dependent on Big Pharma to stay alive.

I'm with you on the drugs. My wife takes a handful every night, and all my friends seem to be taking something or another for an ailment/condition. I only take weed or beer, and in very moderate doses, with a rare Oxy when the pain is almost insufferable. I'll nurse a headache for hours before I'll break down and eat a couple of Advil. I just don't like being dependent on Big Pharma to stay alive.
I am the same. I hate pills. But, prostrate, BP and arthritis/inflammation in general make some pills necessary. I have never taken and oxy.

Total agreement here - beer & weed for me too.
But we must spare a thought for those many many others who have a wonky immune system and DO become enslaved to doctors and pharmacy.
My father-in-law is a doctor in the LA area and my son privately confided to me that he's a shite doctor.
When I was an electrician I knew lots of others who were "qualified" electricians but were really crap. Same with all trades, I believe that, ust be the same in the professions too. And - doctors can bury their mistakes.

1635179782714.png

One thing about all of our pasts is that bad drugs and bad sex bugs were everywhere and with so many participating in both it's surprising to be alive today. The truth that out of 10 close friends I had and partied with in the 70s all 10 are dead because of addictions . viet vet heroin addicts returning , meth led to heroin or pills to come back down after the 3rd day ... then coke .. whiskey with the coke ..

I am the same. I hate pills. But, prostrate, BP and arthritis/inflammation in general make some pills necessary. I have never taken and oxy.
Pute - I think I understand what you're saying here but I'm a little puzzled.
Not sure what you mean by prostrate but hope you're not talking cancer?
Assume by BP you're talking about blood pressure being high or low and the need to take medication to control that?
Arthritis and inflammation I understand - having suffered greatly from both.
I'm not offering any suggestions etc here - simply comparing notes.
But my puzzlement comes from not understanding why/how the Weed you grow is not/does not ameliorate all those conditions?
I've always found it good for pain of every type and - for this
last 8 or 9 years it's virtually eliminated my arthritis and a variety of inflammation (mostly fibro myalgia.) Plus it makes me feel good and relaxed. 😊
I have a BP cuff and check my blood pressure & pulse regularly and its always within acceptable limitsThe one thing that's a bit off with me in recent weeks is brief periods when my balance is shaky for a few minutes (that's why I've been checking my BP recently.)
Perhaps I've got things arse-about-face and you are self medicating with weed?
Perhaps I'm just talking more rubbish - getting old isn't much fun.

I just take BP and prostate meds, but I would be on a hell of lot more if I don't continue to say no to my doctors. Two of them so far have tried to put me on cholesterol reduction meds, even though my cholesterol is museum quality low and one wanted to keep me on heart meds after a tachycardia and arrhythmia incident brought on by the flu. I wonder how many fewer meds they would prescribe if they weren't getting kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies? i saw a study that showed marketing expenses to individual doctors as pharma's greatest single expense.

One thing about all of our pasts is that bad drugs and bad sex bugs were everywhere and with so many participating in both it's surprising to be alive today. The truth that out of 10 close friends I had and partied with in the 70s all 10 are dead because of addictions . viet vet heroin addicts returning , meth led to heroin or pills to come back down after the 3rd day ... then coke .. whiskey with the coke ..

Alas I lost several to heroin in the early 70's as well, and it destroyed their interpersonal relationships before they died, because you could no longer trust them.

51F @ 88% RH, rain with 7 mph winds and predicted to reach 58F.

Another street racing event shut down with four more arrests, four more cars towed, and multiple citations, which included out of state racers joining the fun.

More shootings and a girl sexually assaulted on a school bus without driver intervention, leading to a lawsuit against the school.

Another vacant home burned down by homeless squatters and the surrounding houses severely damaged. City towing derelict RV's and dropping them off in other neighborhoods, leading to a lawsuit against the city, which was dismissed by a local judge.

A busy day today. A dental appointment, a pre-op appointment for my upcoming knee surgery, and a teleconference with my urologists to find out the new plan to remove the kidney stone. Still passing blood, but am fortunately no longer in pain, nor is elimination still painful.

Good morning................

more chopping and trimming today as we take down the last three plants , we kept them going as an experiment for a couple of reasons....1. To see how far they can be pushed and still not be dead from the cold weather....2. a push for ripeness of trichomes , I have to live by my motto , wait two more weeks

but first a cup or two of hot coffee

159E7705-2A2F-4D49-8282-4AFBC9FCD916.jpeg
7D5F13B9-DD87-414F-AAF5-8B172E9CD867.jpeg
89CCA824-6BB4-4F7B-9FC9-2285E50E9AF9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back