marijuana side effects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baktea

Reaction score
The other night i was using the bathroom and i got done and was washing my hands...when i went to dry my hands i fainted on the floor and started going into a seizure....it lasted for around 2 minutes and i had to be rushed to the hospital....they performed 2 cat scans and found nothing at the local hospital...right after they did the cat scans and moved me back into the room i had another seizure....then they decided it would be best for me to be transferred to a bigger hospital in a bigger city so they could find out why i was having these seizures...so i was moved to a bigger hospital and i stayed the night there....the next day early in the morning they wanted me to go and have an MRI...so i went to go do that and directly after they had me go and have this thing called an EEG...so after all that was done i went back to my room and awaited for the results...they told me the doctor would not be able to make it in tonight but he could manage a phone call with me....on the phone call he told me that the results came back with the MRI and everything was clear and i had nothing to be worried about with that...he then told me that the EEG showed some abnormalities but he hasn't had a good enough chance to look at it yet and he will discuss it further with me tomorrow morning...this whole time i was in the hospital they were taking my blood and checking my vitals and giving me meds....so the next morning the doctor came in and he told me that the blood results came back in and it showed that there was marijuana in my system and he said that he thought that the weed in my system was causing me to have seizures, but he said that is not for sure but most likely that is causing them.
Is this a correct statement?...i have heard that some people that have seizures use weed to have them help them deal with it...but i understand that everyone is different...one thing that i dont understand is that i have been smoking for a while now and i think that if it would have hurt me then it probably would have done so already....what is your advice?

I dont know..I am very sorry about your seizure..I have had some due to diabetic low sugars...is your tongue ok?

I don't know but you're doing the right thing - ask your doctors, not a bunch of stoners :). The only side effect I notice is that it wears off too soon.

ArtVandolay said:
I don't know but you're doing the right thing - ask your doctors, not a bunch of stoners :). The only side effect I notice is that it wears off too soon.
Funny right there!

I wouldnt smoke any more grass thats for sure. Then after months of it out of your system and you have another seizure you can go back and ask your saw bones why your still having seizures after the THC is out of your system.

2Dog said:
I dont know..I am very sorry about your seizure..I have had some due to diabetic low sugars...is your tongue ok?

Sorry to hear abt the seizure. Listen to the Doc for sure. Just FYI from a trained Scuba diver in Stress and Rescue... NEVER try and hold down somebody's tongue who is having a seizure because you can seriously damage their jaw and teeth. Although it looks painful they are NOT awake and feel nothing during Tonic Seizures. Don't even hold them down, let em shake and they will get through it in a minute or two. Off topic yes but its an appropriate thread to dispell a common myth.

Sorry to hear about your troubles...I am not in the medical field but it seems strange that they wld test for MJ in your blood...MJ is actually used to treat epilepsy...I hve read about people being allergic to MJ and one of the things it caused were seizure like episodes...

i'm sorry to hear that baktea-
obviously a Dr. should know more of whats going on than anyone here-but that said-he could have it out for pot/smokers. i'd go get a second opinion. if it is due to the pot, i would say it would almost have to be an allergy. maybe try an allergy Dr. and ask how to find out if it is so.

I am allergic to pot... Makes my eyes red, my mouth dry, and then it sometimes makes me ramble on, and laugh uncontrolably at people I don't even know! Keep up with the docs! They are the ones that can find the problem... Pack another bowl and see if it happens again?

any seizures since? and what were you doing before? had you just smoked one recently?

i'm not a doc, but i highly doubt it was from MJ.
i'm epileptic too.. that first seizure seems to just happens man, doesn't seem like any rhyme or reason to it.
i was just hanging with my buddies after skateboarding, then fell flat to the cement (yeah was great. be thankfull you didn't knock your teeth out like i did. nothing like all the doctor tests, and dentist crap too.)
i got the same results with all my testing as you, no tumour or anything gnarly, but problematic EEG's

i dunno man, the more tests and vague answers i got, the more it appeared to me that "seizure" and "epilepsy" are basicaly medical terms for "we don't know ***'s going on"

good luck with whatever you do.. take it easy for a bit, see if another comes on. like other said, stop smoking for a bit if you want, and see if it happens again when you're completely clean (my bets it will)

and if they do diagnose you with epilepsy and he gives you perscription, make sure if he gives you tigertal, you get the slow release. the regular messed me up badly.
good luck

thanks everyone for ur advice!!! it is greatly appriciated...i was talking to some ppl and they told me that when they were in high school they had a seizure just like me and they went and had all the tests that i did and it turned out that that persons sleep patterns had been irregular and they had to be on a more consistent sleep pattern...i sure hope that that is what is causing them
ozzidiodude: this was not the first time i have smoked pot...i did a couple of times when i was younger, and now i was smoking about 2.5 months before i had my first seizure
gangalama: haha man i had been smoking some good ****...i had some afghan, kush, real good dro, and some real good midds
super skunk: man i really wanna pack another bowl but i think i am gonna take a little break from pot until they diagnose me with something
kaotik: i havent had any seizures since that one...i had just come from class and i went to the bathroom in my house...the last time i had smoked was the night before the actual seizure happened

Personally, I do not believe MJ alone was the root of this issue.

I have recently heard of growers in other areas actually spraying gasoilene on their plants...so...who knows.

The Effen Gee said:
I have recently heard of growers in other areas actually spraying gasoilene on their plants...so...who knows.
:holysheep: :eek: that would suck man go to light your bowl and boom your face is on fire man. I bet it keeps them nasty garden bugs away though :D

On topic one of my neighbors has the same problem with these incidents no reason has ever been found as to why and shes had them on and off the smoke ;)

Wow, I could have written your post as I am just now going thru it as well. I had a full blown tonic clonic on Aug 21 in front of my kids. One called 911 and the other grabbed a neighbor...a good friend of ours who I couldnt even recognize. The last thing I remember was being wheeled out my front door on a gourney and how cute a few of the paramedics were lol.. I came too more while being rushed to the ER at a local hospital. (I did my research and later learned I had done a lot of things that lower seizure thresholds.) The night before I had been at a heavy rock concert and got quite drunk, then continued when I got home. I was also nervous and stressed because I had back stage passes to meet my fav band in a few days. Probably dehydrated too. But the odd thing here was I had quit smoking mj 2 1/2 weeks before it happened. CT scans, MRIs, bloodwork all came back normal. I had a 48 ambulatory EEG at home which showed abnormal activity in all areas of the brain while awake, and just in the left temporal lobe while sleepting. I never did have any seizures during those 48 hours however.

I did some googling and found its quite common if a mj user abruptly quits, to have a sz around that 2 week mark...hmmmmmmmm.

As a side note, I had a strange episode last April that no one was around to notice. Completely diff circumstances this time. I did my 2.5 mile walk and came home and was going to vacuum my floor. I felt fine. Then the next thing I know, I am in my bed, its 45 mins later, I am completely confused, tried, and I pick the phone up to call hubs and ask when he's coming home for dinner. He mentions we had dinner earlier at our normal time as a family and that he was at the usual meeting with one of my sons at the time. My tongue was all bit to shreds on both sides and was quite painful. The day after this I went to my dr and he said it sounded like a seizure and wanted me to go for a MRI and a EEG. I didn't then because I was leaving on a Cali trip 3 days later and wanted to put the whole thing to the back of my mind. Denial maybe, who knows...But I damn sure was smoking mj on a reg basis then, and that alcohol didnt play a part this time either as I know I wouldnt have felt like exercising if I was drunk or hungover. :p

4 months later was when I suffered that sz (the Aug 21 one) in front of my kids, that kind of pieced everything together for me. Now I am on a medication called Lamictal XR and seem to be doing ok with it...a few side effects but not many. I havent had any sz since, but if I am only having them every 4 months, then I am probably not due til Dec, lol.

Anyways, its inconclusive with me if mj plays a part in the seizures. After I read the thing about folks quitting mj and having them later I said screw it and went back to my old habbits...lol Screw sobering up for potential jobs. Atleast for now anyways...we'll wait and see how I respond to the meds. ;)

Take care, and welcome to the wonderful world of epilepsy...:p

wow...smoking mom that sounds a lot like what happened to me...they got me on this stuff called dilantin right now...and it seems to me doing its job but then again i have only been out of the hospital for a couple days now...here soon on november 10 i have to go back in for a follow up appt and go through this other test called a sleep deprived EEG...i have to stay away from 12am the night b4 the test and i am guessing they are doing this because they want me to go through an EEG when i am in a stressed out state of mind...and hopefully when i go through this test i am going to have another seizure...if i have another seizure then they will be able to figure out the problem and one thing for sure the problem wont be mj cause im not going to smoke until they give me a diagnosis and if they tell me that the reason i had it is because of mj then most likely i will stop smoking for good...i mean i dont wanna stop smoking but i would much rather have the rest of my life to live that smoke mj every now and then

baktea-

Supposedly seizures can happen to anyone. Epileptics are much more siseptible (sp??) and have a lower threshold then the rest of the world. And there's several thins that can lower ours even further like:

Caffeine
Lack of sleep (we need atleast 7hrs so they say)
Dehydration
Not eating
Low blood sugar
Alcohol (an this is supposed to be bad for the anti-sz meds as well.)
Stress/fatigue

I still have a few beers on occassion, as well as my diet sodas. I am now a cheap drunk- 2 feels more like 4, etc. ;)

I know some of those things are unadvoidable at times, but they can lower our threashold and make us more prone.

I know a pretty good, supportive epilepsy site, if you're interested, pm me.

Latest posts

Back