New grower trying something new (pertetual grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't like Botanicare much myself. You can certainly switch to GH nutes. Plant are looking good, but you can probably still get that T5 a little closer. You are getting a little stretch.

I grow in soil also. Can complications occur if i switch now?

You should be OK. If it was me, I would flush them,wait till next watering and feed them then. My schedule is as the directions say, feed till you get runoff wait till next watering and feed with plain ph'ed water. Do that till flowering time. Then I give them a good flush before flowering. For the first flowering feed I give them half veg and half bloom nutes. From there I feed the same as veg cycle, of course follow what your plants tell you they want. I flush them really good about a week to 2 weeks before harvest so my TDS reading on the run off is the same as plain water. That is my way of doing it, I hope it helps

Hushpuppy said:
It sounds like you have the idea for the ventilation but what you need to do is pull the air out of the tent and filter it as it leaves, while at the same time pulling in fresh air that comes from either outside of the building or from a location where there is plenty of co2. At the same time you want to remove the heat that builds up from the HPS lighting. There are a couple ways of doing this.

For a simple set up of a single 4x4/5x5 tent, you can use enclosed/vented fixtures that are connected to a carbon filter that is inside the tent with the flowering plants, and on the other side they are connected to the exhaust fan which I recommend to be placed outside the tent and closer to where you want the air to be exhausted so that the air is pulled not pushed as vacuum works better than push.

Now being in a living space of a house gives the unique opportunity to circulate the air within the space so that it stays within a comfortable temp range. Also, if there are people and/or pets present they can create co2 levels that are good for the plants. However, if the presence of people and pets aren't enough to create the level of co2 necessary then you will have to pull in fresh air from outside which will require exhausting the air to the outside as well.

going with outside air isn't a problem except for the controlling the atmosphere (temps and humidity). I have found it easiest to control these factors by pulling the fresh air into the larger space of the room where the grow is located, then either heat or cool this air before it reaches the tent. You will have to monitor this air within the room for temp and humidity. You want to maintain 68-73f with 50-65% humidity for the best results within the tent.

I suggest that you get your tent and get everything set up and tested before needing to move any plants to flower as you may find that there are certain alterations that have to be done in order to keep it where it needs to be to have successful, high quality harvests. If you have any questions just ask :)

Thank u Hushpuppy

I completely understand what you're saying. I'm just trying to visualize the set up you're explaining. Is there maybe a link you could refer me to so that I can see it? I kind of have an idea of what you're saying.

What you can do is look up "flex hose" or "hose routing" or "ventilation" here and go through some of the journal entries that talk about it. Here is a good picture of GreenFang's grow space. He has tents inside of a room in a building so that he is able to control the air that comes into the room before it is pulled into the tents where the plants are: http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=210918&d=1386213190
If you look carefully at the first tent on the right. At the top you can see that he has the carbon filter hung from the ceiling where the warmest air goes. Then the flex hose connects the filter to the lights, and from the lights, the hose goes to the exhaust fan which pushes the heated air out of the building. At the bottom of the tents there are openings that allow you to make "passive airways" for the air to be pulled into the tents. Just like a vacuum cleaner sucks the air in one end, through a filter, and out through another spot, the exhaust fan sucks the warm air that is in the tops of the tents out through the filters so that the air is scrubbed. Then it sucks that same air through the lights so that the heat is removed from them, and pushes it out of the room. This creates a vacuum (or negative pressure) within the tents which causes the cooler, fresh air in the room to be pulled into the tents, which in turn pulls in fresh cold air from outside the building, and into the room so that it can be warmed to a tolerable level before it gets pulled into the tents.
Here are a couple more good pics that show what I am talking about: http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=208853&d=1379554347
http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=208851&d=1379554319
In these 2 pics you can see the carbon filter connected to the lights and going out of the tent in the second pic to the green exhaust fan that pushes it out through the ceiling.

Now there is another option for you as I was saying. I can't find any pictures to show what I am talking about but take the same ventilation setup and rather than drive the air out of the house and pull fresh air back into the house from outside, you drive the heated air out into the house at another location that is farthest from the space where the plants are. This allows you to circulate the air from the tents through the house which gives the house warm oxygenated air for people and pets to breathe, while pulling the heavier, co2 laden air that is cooler back down into the space where the tent is. The exact setup for this will depend on the house and how warm it makes the house, and if there are enough oxygen breathers to give sufficient co2 back to the plants.

Hamster Lewis said:
I am running 5 in my 4x4 now in flower and I think a 6th would have been perfect....but it all depends on your growing style. I only use 1 gallon pots so I tend to have a little more room. I have had 12 in my 4x4 but a few were in 1/2 gallon pots. I would never do that many in there again. It was madness.

Have you not tried to up your pot size???
being you run 5 in a 4x4 area I am also curious what kind of yields you get from your style ??? IMO if you went to 4 gallon pots per i bet your yields would drastically increase.

I Read some posts above and thought i would chime in
Sometimes photosynthesis is limited by the concentration of carbon dioxide in the Air,Which i am surprised know one mentioned.
Even if there is plenty of light, a plant cannot photosynthesis,
if there is insufficient carbon dioxide.
Also Without enough light, a plant cannot photosynthesis very quickly,,,
even if there is plenty of water and carbon dioxide.
Increasing the light intensity will boost the speed of photosynthesis. but c02 is needed they work hand in hand
If it gets too cold, the rate of photosynthesis will decrease. Plants cannot photosynthesis same goes if it gets too hot.

Also to the op here is a idea for you which i used to do in green house grows i used some kerosene/ paraffin lamps The use of paraffin lamps inside a greenhouse or grow room will increases the rate of photosynthesis because the burning paraffin produces carbon dioxide, and heat too. :)

DrFever said:
I Read some posts above and thought i would chime in
Sometimes photosynthesis is limited by the concentration of carbon dioxide in the Air,Which i am surprised know one mentioned.
Even if there is plenty of light, a plant cannot photosynthesis,
if there is insufficient carbon dioxide.
Also Without enough light, a plant cannot photosynthesis very quickly,,,
even if there is plenty of water and carbon dioxide.
Increasing the light intensity will boost the speed of photosynthesis. but c02 is needed they work hand in hand
If it gets too cold, the rate of photosynthesis will decrease. Plants cannot photosynthesis same goes if it gets too hot.

Also to the op here is a idea for you which i used to do in green house grows i used some kerosene/ paraffin lamps The use of paraffin lamps inside a greenhouse or grow room will increases the rate of photosynthesis because the burning paraffin produces carbon dioxide, and heat too. :)

I think I touched on this in another thread. For example, I have found that I get no better growth with 1200W of light in my space than I do with 1000W. So, basically, this is the amount of light my plant can utilize without CO2 enhancement.

Dr. doesn't the light from the lanterns affect flowering?

Actually THG i always started them up as my lights went on they ran fully fueled up 5 - 6 hrs but in theory one should probably fire them up 3 - 4 hrs into lights on, bringing up the heat they also give you heat which is a bonus.
I Have played with temps in all stages of growth for a long time,and found 83 - 88 was the best temps in my situation where i saw Vigorous Growth then where most sites or growers will mention 76 - 78 max to me that's min temps for decent growth. as per your question mentioning will it effect flowering actually not at all when breakin it down the lamp it self is only emmiting approx 1 - 10 lumen per Meter which we both know is nothing

You say you get better yields with higher temps, is that also using higher ppm of CO2?

my babies have been in flower for two days. the sleeves on my tent didnt get opened today. when i got to my tent, the temps read 91 degrees and there was so much moisture in there. the leave on the plants were wet. what should i do in this case. should i feed the plants water, cal mag or what? they did drop a bit but turned yellow also.

Kodak--tell us about your ventilation set-up. IMO, that is too high and too high a humidity brings all kinds of problems.

definitely don't water them or do anything different other than getting the ventilation corrected. You can open the tent while the lites are on but not while off unless you have it in a very dark room.

The tops of some of the plants dropped so bad I dont think it can be restored. Idk if I should let the dead tips stay there or cut it. Im still working on ventilation. I just have the fan sitting on the floor right now with the ducting, connected to the fan pulling the air out I believe. Im tryna to find a better setup

I have this exact inline fan. If im to pull air from out the tent, which way should the fan be turned connecting to the ducting?

i have the side that is shown in the picture facing the room while the side with the longer neck is connected to the ducting, which is connected to the lighting and the other side of the light is completely open. does that sound like a good system?

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Active-Air-Inline-Fan-12/dp/B003IM058Y/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1390234696&sr=8-10&keywords=12%27+inline+fan

also, have anyone heard of The Guano Company: Budswel (0.01- 0.10 -0.01)

when would u use this in the flowering stage?

I don't quite understand your description of your ventilation setup. Do you have an air coolable hood?

You want to set things up so that the fan is sucking the air from the light and exhausting it somewhere outside the space. You will need some passive intakes in your space. My fan is actually located under my house in the crawl space.

This is how mine is set up--the arrows show the direction of air flow:

light>duct>fan>ducting to outside

I'm not a big fan of "bud enhancers". In my many years f growing I have tried about a half dozen recommended by others. I have never seen any real difference in bud development. And I'm not sure if something that is 0.01-0.10-0.01 is going to do much of anything.

thanks. i have it like that. i was just trying to make sure if im pulling it out correctly. last time i did it, seemed like the tent was being sucked in this time it seems like its expanding. thank u

You want that tent being sucked in a little, that means that you have good negative pressure within the tent. That guarentees that the air is all going through the filter to be cleaned. If the tent sides are being bushed out, that means the pressure is positive and the air is pushing out of other places rather than being forced through the filter where it can be scrubbed of odors.

The exhaust fan should be set up(in my opinion and preference) closer to where the exhaust outlet is and then the intake side of the fan is connected via the flex hose to the vented lights. Then the other side of the lights is connected, either directly to or via flex hose, to the filter which is held within the tent (typically at the top of the tent so that it gets the oxygenated and heated air) so that the air from within the tent is pulled through the filter then through the light, then it is pulled down the length of the hose through the fan and out.

The tent will have "passive" openings at the bottom to allowing fresh, cooler, co2 filled air to come in beneath the plants where the vacuum effect of the exhaust fan can pull the co2 up through the foliage where the leaves can grab it. If this is not happening, you may have your fan connected in reverse :)

I usually just plug my fans in and check for which way the air flow is before connecting them, just to be sure as some can look a bit confusing. Generally though, the more elongated side of the fan is the output side while the more squared-off side is the inlet side :)

Hush thanks a lot.that makes total sense. It was a lil confusing. I appreciate you all.

Im switching over to the 4x4 tent today. Ill have two 600 hps in there. How should set up ventilation system with only one inline fan. Right now im in 2x4 tent with one 600 hps. I have it as follows: light》ducting》inline fan.do I need ducting at the other end of the inline where its exhausting out?

Latest posts

Back