Salt at transplant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmToTable

Reaction score
Going to transplant some 7 week old plants outside in a few days. I already have my holes dug etc. should I toss a tbs or two of Epsom salts in the hole at transplant? I've heard mixed opinions. Also. If I want to toss a handful of lime in, better to do before transplant?

Thx

are your pots root bound at the bottom? i wouldn't toss in anything except some worm castings or compost, if the plants being transplanted are root bound. you generally don't want the roots of your plants encountering any raw organic matter when transplanted. you want the roots to find it on their own. not have it forced upon them.

i'd top dress with either of those if i thought they were needed.

i tried top dressing w/ worm castings last year.they are great but are so compact,dense, water will not penetrate them on top . i had to dig up 1 in. on (14)plants i would use 1-2 cups max. and mix well w/ exist soils(mix).same w/ epsom, 1-2 oz,someone had written..JMO
good luck

ShOrTbUs said:
are your pots root bound at the bottom? i wouldn't toss in anything except some worm castings or compost, if the plants being transplanted are root bound. you generally don't want the roots of your plants encountering any raw organic matter when transplanted. you want the roots to find it on their own. not have it forced upon them.

i'd top dress with either of those if i thought they were needed.

Ok. Sounds good. I already dug holes and amended with 20-30 lbs of composted cow manure. I'd like to incorporate some Lyme but am hoping to transplant on Wed. Too late?

I could just transplant and feed when I water in. I feel pretty good about the soil quality.

Did you mean top dress with Lyme and salt if you thought needed?

Newbietoo said:
i tried top dressing w/ worm castings last year.they are great but are so compact,dense, water will not penetrate them on top . i had to dig up 1 in. on (14)plants i would use 1-2 cups max. and mix well w/ exist soils(mix).same w/ epsom, 1-2 oz,someone had written..JMO
good luck

Thanks a lot- I saw 1-2 oz also somewhere else. Did you use salts?

FarmToTable said:

YES!! i had to try,mix in well w/ soils..

mine, in the past, avg. 1 1/2 in. of vertical growth per day, 45 in.s per month!!don't forget to pinch at new green/yellow leaf sites every 3 weeks or so

wider is better than taller. not so much wind and rain damage.
every time i pinch a top i avg. 3 more tops.pinch 15 tops get 45 new tops pinch 45 tops get 135 new tops (on avg.) sometimes 2,sometimes 4,but usually 3..this is where the vast majority of the bud sites are.

goodluck

I have been using epsom salts for years, don't put it directly on the roots. Sprinkle some on top, not on the roots.

FarmToTable said:

i tried cow **** once and coyotes dug up my (3) -5 in. tall babies the 2nd night. they loved the smell and were hungry.it may work, well.i just don't know.in the past i used a mix of 50% miracle gro,moisture control potting soil,$12.@hardware store,25%good black loam,25%compost filled w/ worms,some perlite,some lime and i like organic dried blood ( nit.).

i LOVE the 4in. high green plastic watering rings they sell @ home depot.you can connect 2 -4 togther for the size circle you want/one side is pointed and easily pushes into the ground, around plant base. someone told me about these here and they are GREAT!!! keeps water/feed,from running away from plant base..you will LOVE these :cool: jmo

Rosebud said:
I have been using epsom salts for years, don't put it directly on the roots. Sprinkle some on top, not on the roots.

THANKS for your imput on this.
re. farmers comment to " put in bottom of hole".it might be, for ex. your new holes are 24 in. deep.your existing pot is 9 in. deep.the roots will have to grow 15 in. vertically before finding epsom.it maybe he wanted the plants to find it closer to fruits.??don't know,but he recommended this.

glad to hear you like it . i will be using from this point on.again,thanks rosebud! :)

Latest posts

Back