Settle an argument-MH or HPS ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary18

Reaction score
Okay, I have a friend about 1/2 mile from me, for the last 10 years he has been using a 1000wtt MH system and grows some really good smoke. Reminds me of the leafy lime green crystally stuff that used to come out of Northern Calif.
I am using a 1000wtt Hps, He swears to holy Heaven that I will double my harvest if I throw away my HPS and convert to MH. Mine tend to produce more nanners that are exploding with crystal's right now and looks like a pretty heavy harvest to me.
One big difference I see is his tend to mature faster, much faster, mine look bigger butt....and this is important....mine appear stringy, very thin longated buds that I would normally associate with low light growth. I'm in my 8th week and think they will fatten up with time.
History- Plants are clones from same parent, taken at the same time. His soil is just top soil from the woods mixed with perlite, bat gano, and earthworm castings, alittle charcoal from his firepit and thats it. No additition nute's or anything.
I use FFOF soil, Tiger and Big bloom, also FF products, used at about half strength.
SO heres the Big Question, Which system really produces the better and most bud or is there really a difference at all ??????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

u r both right....mh for vegging and hps for flowering...

The difference comes in when youre using a MH for veg and then switch to HPS. There is a lag time for the diff in lite spectrum. Most old growers will only use MH as it is continous growth w/o any lag time.
IME...I use HPS and add a 4oo MH for the first 4 weeks only ~

HPS will produce better buds...MH is better for vegging

If I were you I'd take that bet...there is no way that his harvest will be "double" yours! I to use MH for Veg, and HPS for flower, but you will find varying oppinions on it, some will say use all one or the other all the way through. Most popular oppinion though (from grow books) say MH veg, HPS bloom. How far away do you have your light, and is it air cooled? this could be the reason for your whispy buds, also how many hrs has the bulb been run? (total hrs...is it old?)

If you have 'nanners' then your plants are hermie. What kind of stress are they receiving? You grow with HPS from start of clones? What about re-veg? What kind of light do you use for that? What is your light cycle? Is the grow chamber sealed off from outside light during the night cycle? I have NO 'nanners' at all with my fluoros in a sealed cab on 12/12.
Buy/borrow/steal some decent seeds/clones and start over after reviewing your grow conditions: Light (lumens, wattage per sq. ft., PAR, distance from plants, etc.), soil, temp, humidity, space, nutes, pH of water/soil, and last, but not least, genetics...
Good luck!

How you doing Gary18!

I sincerely doubt that the MH will produce double against the HPS.

My current test though I'm seeing exactly what you describe- larger buds under the HPS, but definitely more airy than those under the MH.

The pic I entered for this months BOTM is a taster bud I clipped from the MH side. It's only 5", but super dense, wet weight was 29.9 grams- should dry to just under 5 grams.

I haven't cut any buds from the HPS side- but they are definitely more airy- though they are twice the size as the colas under the MH.

Since you and your buddy have different grow conditions going on, it won't be a true test by overall weight- but I'd like to know your opinion of a bud from your grow compared to a bud from his grow- as far as density.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Okay " nanners " is probibly the wrong word as I know that reffers to the banana's that hang under a hermie.My ref is to the tear drop growth that the pestil's, " white hairs " grow out of.
Clones and seedlings are under a t-5 for 14 days then I add 2 150 hps sunlight's, ( 6 plants ), then they go to a seprate room for flowwer. That bulb does have 3 prior grows on it, 1000 hps, two large fans for circulation that run on timers at different speeds and one eight inch vent fan.
The top cola's are about 14 in below the lights for temp reason's, had a mold problem that included adding 2 air purifiers and a dehumidifier to my room.
Gotta get a camera, I know that would help.
Oh alittle plant history here, 1st clone's came off a crossed Blueberry, that was supposed to be a Dominate Indica, but it hermied and the seeds produced my mother plant. Now my partner has had three grow's off the clones before I got the strain, it looks sativa to me, but only after changing hrs, in veg, very fat dark leaves, in flowwer the new growth is all thin leaved and turns lime green, buds for weeks are just huge " cotten balls ", then smaller growths of tear drops appear, two at a time, shaping a V, then two more crossing the other, and they stack 2 high for about 1 1/2 in's, strange stuff, I havent seen anything like it in any posting.
I'm wondering if the DNA of the plant hasnt changed since the hermie, or my light could be getting week too.
Better sleep on it, 4am, late for this old man.
Keep it Green and Growin !!!!
And thx again.

BBFAN I
major difference right now, I havent clipped anything just too airy, while my pard has, just something small as it was young, just acouple days ago.
It was about Thumb size when dry, but already tasted good and gave a pleasant buzz. I had to remove a whole branch because of a mold problem and I watched as it dried in the shed outside and the large cola that was as long as my forearm and equally as big around became see through, might have had 3-4 grms of weight (just an estimate),things appear to be getting filling in more as time goes on.
will keep the the updates coming.

And no I did not smoke it, it went in the burn barrel.

If you and your buddy are getting this much difference in growth, it is something different than the light. While a MH will work okay for flowering, it does not give the best spectrum and will not outperform a HPS, all other things being equal. You should be getting a better harvest with the HPS. .

Your light could be loosing lumens, but IMO HPS bulbs work fantastic in flower and vegg and I doubt very highly its the reason your buds are airy.

With the mold problem I wonder if your air exchange is good enough.

Also get rid of that mother if it came from hermie seed.

Latest posts

Back